• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playing First-Person Shooter on which gaming platform?

Reaction score
What is your favorite FPS (First-Person Shooter) gaming platform?

I personally think that computers are the best for playing such games, because of the mouse. The mouse is more accurate than a controller like PS3, Wii and XBOX.

Don't you agree?
fight[1].gif

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the accurate control of the Nintendo 64. The contours of the controller are ideal for precise movement yet rigid enough to offer resistance. The addition of the rumble pak offers tactile feedback that is heads above the competition.
jk

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mouse or nothing. I still don't see how anyone can play a FPS with a controller.

I haven't played games online in quite a while....are Xbox/PS3 players allowed on the same servers as the PC players?

eqpablon

Reaction score
No, when xbox beta'd xbox live the mouse and keyboard players destroyed the console players. The decision was made way back then that the two shouldn't be allowed to crossplay.

There was one game that is an exception, I forget its name. It was some sort of RPG FPS crossover game. They had to marsupial the timing of mouse/keyboard players to make it even online.

Originally Posted by javyn
Mouse or nothing. I still don't see how anyone can play a FPS with a controller.

I haven't played games online in quite a while....are Xbox/PS3 players allowed on the same servers as the PC players?

Reaction score

Many of my friends tell me that I just have to get used to it. But still.. I prefer mouse and keyboard.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I don't doubt the mouse is more accurate that a controller, I still definitely enjoy FPS games more on the XBox than on PC.

Vistro

Reaction score
PC is the only way. I find the anlog stick FPS experience to be tedious and unintuitive.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for FPS, PC is by far the best.

When I play an FPS, it needs to feel very direct and connected.

You sit close to the screen and have very direct input with the mouse. Not to mention, you are taking input from your arm/wrist most of your fingers--every finger on the left and middle, index, thumb (if your mouse has thumb buttons) on the right--as opposed to just your thumbs and index fingers on most console games.

FPS play benefits from having access to a lot of functions with the touch of a button and from having really fast, direct aim that only a mouse can provide.

For other types of games though consoles are almost always better (except for really input heavy rpgs like wow where you also need many buttons and instant mouse response). Driving games suck on PC without extra controllers...etc.

EDIT:
I should mention though that since starting to work full time on a computer and getting some wrist pain popping up, I have pretty much stopped playing PC games....holding a console controller isn't a big deal but I am trying to limit mouse use until I am feeling 100% again and as such I can't really play FPSs

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
for FPS, PC is by far the best.

When I play an FPS, it needs to feel very direct and connected.

You sit close to the screen and have very direct input with the mouse. Not to mention, you are taking input from your arm/wrist most of your fingers--every finger on the left and middle, index, thumb (if your mouse has thumb buttons) on the right--as opposed to just your thumbs and index fingers on most console games.

FPS play benefits from having access to a lot of functions with the touch of a button and from having really fast, direct aim that only a mouse can provide.

For other types of games though consoles are almost always better (except for really input heavy rpgs like wow where you also need many buttons and instant mouse response). Driving games suck on PC without extra controllers...etc.

EDIT:
I should mention though that since starting to work full time on a computer and getting some wrist pain popping up, I have pretty much stopped playing PC games....holding a console controller isn't a big deal but I am trying to limit mouse use until I am feeling 100% again and as such I can't really play FPSs

I actually got this when I picked up an MMO for a month over the spring and logged some hours. Sucked having the pain flare up work. I stopped playing and it felt better after a week or so.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can only play on a PC. It is unbearable for me on consoles.

And I loathe when PC ported games still have that marsupialed movement that carries over from consoles. Grand Theft Auto games have this problem. I can't stand it.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even though I'm a resident in the house of mouse, if I was a newb starting out today, I'd go the console/joypad route.

There's a pretty steep learning curve to using the mouse in games, and if you are starting out you will be slaughtered. I'd imagine the controller would level the playing field somewhat.

iVoRy

Reaction score
For FPS I'd say PC. I can't imagine playing FPS without mouse.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Computer with mouse and gamepad

My computer has more power better graphics than any console platform, and I prefer the mouse for movement, coupled with a multi-key gamepad

Currently playing Fallout New Vegas. Rocks!!

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Word The only game I tolerated was Medal Of Honor on the PS1.

dave333

Reaction score
Computer is the best, except for Halo.

Halos are the only shooters I can do on console. And it's really fun, it's pretty different most most shooters so it's a nice change.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads