• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playboy.com announces 'The Ten Worst Chick Flicks of All Time'

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.playboy.com/arts-entertai...-chick-flicks/

# 10 - The Notebook
# 9 - Sleepless in Seattle
# 8 - Fried Green Tomatoes
# 7 - Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
# 6 - Dirty Dancing
# 5 - The Bridges of Madison County
# 4 - Bridget Jones's Diary
# 3 - Steel Magnolias
# 2 - Ghost
# 1 - Beaches

I agree with most of the choices but Sleepless and Ghost were watchable. Bridget Jones was barely ok in a weird way I guess. The only others I've seen are Dirty Dancing and Bridges of Madison County (even though I love Meryl Streep, it sucked; shame on you Clint!). The others I wouldn't watch for all the shoes in aportnoy's closet. [I think I slept through Beaches once while my wife watched it on tv.]

Good chick flicks:

- When Harry met Sally

- Thelma and Louise

- Sabrina (with Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn)

Honorable mention for Titanic

Any others?

Stax

Reaction score
I give good marks to The English Patient but, then again, I also think that Juliette Binoche is the hottest mammal to ever walk the earth.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wedding Crashers is a chick flick disguised as a buddy movie.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P-boy tries to put Baby in a corner, but we all know that Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't watch these kinds of movies... I think I've seen Ghost all the way through, parts of others, and thats about it.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly rather sit through any of those movies in their entirety over having to watch The View for five minutes.

koji

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite such film, is HUMORESQUE, with Joan Crawford and John Garfield.
I believe it's Miss Crawford's finest performance. She plays an UNSTABLE, patroness of the arts, who gives a concert violinist his start, then becomes jealous of John Garfield's explosive career. Photographed in sensuous, atmospheric black and white . . . stunning interiors . . . superb performances, by all. The 'tragic' ending, is unforgettable.
humoresque.jpg

mylesmyles

Reaction score
although it came out recently, a movie my GF certainly thought was a chick flick was The Devil Wears Prada which was Very watchable - I rather enjoyed the film as did she.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
I give good marks to The English Patient but, then again, I also think that Juliette Binoche is the hottest mammal to ever walk the earth.
On a side note, I agree with that Binoche is gorgeous, but her character was supposed to be 20 y.o. and Canadian. Then again, the book was so well written, trying make a movie of it was somewhat futile. Might as well embellish it and give it beautiful people.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another film in this genre, that I absolutely LOVE, is The Barefoot Contessa. I've seen it, at least twenty-five times. Butterfield 8, is another must. Sick, perverse, deranged. One of my all time, favorites.

disque-butterfield-8-01.jpg

'Let's face it, Mama! I was the slut of all time!' I'm telliing you . . . the old movies, from the forties and fifties, are WILD. Much, much more kinky than newer offerings. The conclusion of BU 8, is beyond bizarre. Liz Taylor crashes her car, licking ********, and writhing in ecstacy the entire time.

BarefootContessa3.jpg

As for The Barefoot Contessa . . . a picture is worth a thousand words.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Bergman's The Seventh Seal. Subtextually, it was a five-hankie weeper.
rotflmao.gif
P.s. I love that film. Err... does that say something about me?
biggrin.gif
Edit: Fried Green Tomatoes & Steel Magnolias are out of place in that list. Both are films with some real "art" (for lack of a better descriptor). Then again, trusting Playboy wouldbe ludicrous.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Indiscreet. A great chick flick. It helps to have Cary Grant.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ivan: if you like that old-time perversity, wouldn't you have to put Babydoll at the top of the list?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads