• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Play any musical instruments?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also play violin. Just returned from a concert this afternoon, in fact.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A mod with a Ric... obviously that's some type of AC30 handwired job.

Rics are the last truly well built guitars of the major companies, and at a really great price. Their customer service is literally second to none.

The amount of boutique amps is now staggering. I have experience with Matchless, Bogner, Orange, Dumble, and Fuchs. Then all the other major stuff like Marshall etc...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Is the Tophat a custom deal? Tube or solidstate?
Tube....EL84 powered, 20watt Class A, same chimey tone of a Vox AC-30 but it has less headroom so more balls. It's all hand P2P wired and one of the amps built by Brian Gerhardt before he sold his own company.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drums in a local band. Lessons for 7 years? and playing out for 3. Rock/alternative covers (unfortunately) with several unfinished originals.
IMG_1260.jpg

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, didn't expect to see so many Ric players here. Lovely! Though I've always preferred the look of the 330 to the 360. It's probably just the rounded edges...

Would kill to have a BurgundyGlo 330/6, or mmm... "The WHAAM". This calls for
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Vintage Gent... you guys have (had?) all the right influences!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Yea, I prefer the look of the 330 as well, altho the pre 65(?) 360 is the same as the 330. However something about the 360 plays easier to me than the 330 (which I have one in fireglo), maybe the fretboard is a tad thinner on the 360 making it fit my hand better, tho they're both thinner-necked guitars. After playing a Ric for years, then playing my friend's Les Paul recently, it was like playing a log (the LP)

ATM

Reaction score
Another guitarist here: '62 reissue Strat I bought in '84 (as old today as the guitar it was emulating when it was built!) and a strat-style guitar I assembled from parts.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that nobody else, plays the lute.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clarinet, piano, organ--major instruments

flute, oboe, bassoon, saxophone, percussion--minor instruments

trumpet, horn, trombone, euphonium--reasonably well

violin, 'cello--fair

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow! the professor in my music appreciation class in college said that of all the instruments in the orchestra, the two hardest to play were the oboe and the violin.

very impressive.

-Jeff

Originally Posted by clarinetplayer

violin, 'cello--fair

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
wow! the professor in my music appreciation class in college said that of all the instruments in the orchestra, the two hardest to play were the oboe and the violin.

very impressive.

-Jeff

I can think of a few instruments which are considerably more difficult than the oboe... like the viola, cello, and double bass.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer

violin, 'cello--fair

That either makes you the most talented musician in history, or a highschool band teacher.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd honestly love to learn a "real" instrument... like clarinetplayer. I guess using guitar tabs makes me feel like I'm "cheating".

What's funny about GS's gear is that almost everybody I know who plays a Ric has a Tele as a back-up. Both are really good at getting that twangy, jangly sound. I think Rics can be very tempermental sometimes, and supposedly a pain *********** when they need restringing thanks to the R tail piece... Teles make a solid backup.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads