• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plates/Dinnerware

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use? I was thinking about getting some new stuff at IKEA. I know it's not the best but I'm still in college and don't want to have to worry about my roommates using my really expensive stuff.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Ikea for plateware, Riedel for stemware. Both ends of the spectrum.

ikea plates and servers are fine ... i'd go with spiegelau for stemware ... more durable but still very good and occasionally available at very good prices.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I use a mix of plates. My cheap ones are from CB2, I use these most of the time. We also have a fun set of cheap plates that we picked up at an antiques store in Greenpoint, seen here:
2159746770043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

and finally a plain set of plates from Korin that we picked up for a good price and have been using more and more:
2824435020043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

finally, these are on our registry:
http://images.bloomingdales.com/is/i...0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Japanese shops often have nice plates for around $10/per.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crate and Barrel. You can buy them individually and they're like $3-5 per plate or something like that. Don't buy a huge set of plates if its just basically 2-3 people. Buy 2 plates of each and then wash them frequently. They're all white.

Their glassware is nice too. Again, just buy the bare minimum in assorted type of shapes/sizes.

For better glasses I use Schott Zweisel, which are great.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
ikea plates and servers are fine ... i'd go with spiegelau for stemware ... more durable but still very good and occasionally available at very good prices.

I agree with this. Much less breakable than Riedel.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy

+1, a set of 4 very nice glasses can be had for under $40. I have no idea about durability compared to Riedel. I got a bunch free with CC points. GF suggested some fancy Riedel's for the registry, but I refused because I know when we break one I'd get all angry and agitated. She understood immediately.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Japanese shops often have nice plates for around $10/per.

mine were $6/each on sale. Need moar...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Pfft. You guys are boring. Riedel makes me happy.

We have Riedel champagne flutes that were like $45 each - and they are awesome and my lone exception to glasses > $12-15

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
gomestar, the 2nd plate is very nice. I need to step my plate game up, so badly. Just nothing that has caught my eye yet here. They give away Schott Zweisel red glasses with cheap wine here as promo packs, so I buy those up whenever I see them, I think they're factory seconds but I have like 4 or 5 now. Not bad for free
redface.gif
I have Spiegelau champagne glasses as well, very nicely priced.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
+1, a set of 4 very nice glasses can be had for under $40. I have no idea about durability compared to Riedel. I got a bunch free with CC points. GF suggested some fancy Riedel's for the registry, but I refused because I know when we break one I'd get all angry and agitated. She understood immediately.
Haha. Some years ago, my wife (pre marriage) and I bought six or eight of the sommelier series just two each of a few glasses. We had my mother over for dinner, and afterward she insisted on "helping clean" by which I mean that she broke three glasses. I don't think she had ever done dishes before. Fast forward to last year, we had a 65th birthday party for her, and after dinner we poured some Armagnac in fancy Riedel brandy glasses. She proceeded to break two more while giving a toast to herself and gesturing at something. I think, in total, she has broken about a dozen of our glasses, though all the others have been cheaper.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha. Some years ago, my wife (pre marriage) and I bought six or eight of the sommelier series just two each of a few glasses. We had my mother over for dinner, and afterward she insisted on "helping clean" by which I mean that she broke three glasses. I don't think she had ever done dishes before. Fast forward to last year, we had a 65th birthday party for her, and after dinner we poured some Armagnac in fancy Riedel brandy glasses. She proceeded to break two more while giving a toast to herself and gesturing at something. I think, in total, she has broken about a dozen of our glasses, though all the others have been cheaper.

My mother-in-law broke three of these the third time we used them.
plain.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Pavina-8.../dp/B0009WX41Q

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

ha. My mother always chips the rims of glasses, I don't know how she manages. We bought her some Schott Zweisel 2 years ago for christmas and they have been perfect ever since.

Usually, at home, it's the gf that breaks stuff, but lately it has been all me. 4 glasses in the past two years, 3 times due to lack of attention and general uncooridnation. The fourth was a stemless Spieg. that I had a good grip on while washing and I didn't notice that my sink started pouring near-boililng water. In went my hand and the glass, and it shattered immediately. A big piece went right into my finger, bad. There was blood everywhere (on the walls, fridge, counter, and I could taste it). GF is, thankfully, first aid certified and she patched me up. Since it was right on the inside of my knuckle, the doctors couldn't stitch anything. Now it's a worthy scar.

We went to Nobu the next day where I could look like a douche who couldn't hold chop sticks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads