• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plastic vs. Mother of Pearl

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
This may seem sophmoric, but, how does one tell the difference between plastic and MOP buttons? I'm trying to figure out if a Paul Smith shirt (the London line) has plastic of MOP buttons. Plus a good thing to know for future reference.

Thanks

Dan

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can't tell from just looking at it, try the 'tooth test.' Either lightly bite the button or tap it against a tooth - if it feels hard against your teeth it's MOP, if it feels soft it's plastic.

Try looking on the back of the button as well. Although plastic buttons sometimes try imitating the shell, they usually do a bad job.

bryce330

Reaction score
All of the Paul Smith London shirts I have seen have had plastic buttons; the main line Paul Smith shirts have shell or MOP buttons.

benchan

Reaction score
MOP feels cooler to touch. You can put it against your face/lips to feel it and you should able to tell the difference.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to make fake MOP? That is, plastic buttons that have the shimmering rainbow of colors that real MOP has? I actually thought this recently when looking at a DKNY shirt -- a brand I usually avoid -- but this one had great fabric and actually seemed to have MOP buttons (it was on sale from $129.95, FWIW).

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like the rounded plastic buttons on my casual checked Lands End shirts. I love those shirts in general, actually.

BjornH

Reaction score
Is it possible to make fake MOP? That is, plastic buttons that have the shimmering rainbow of colors that real MOP has? I actually thought this recently when looking at a DKNY shirt -- a brand I usually avoid -- but this one had great fabric and actually seemed to have MOP buttons (it was on sale from $129.95, FWIW).
I saw really good fakes this week as I glanced down on my Guess boxers. From distance the buttons have the same shimmer as MOP but the Guess engraving gives it away. It is good enough for this application as if the observer is close enough to notice the difference the contents should provide enough distraction.

B

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Did the engraving give it away because it said Guess, or just because it existed? I guess the question is, can MOP buttons bear engraving.

Tom

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course they can bear engraving -- my Jantzen shirts have "Jantzen tailor" on the bottom button, as does Banana Republic premium shirts. I don't think the engraving can give it away. It really is the rainbow effect. Great plastic buttons can have some sort of "shimmer," but when holding it up to light and looking at it from an angle (as one would a diamond), you don't see the rainbow.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have seen pearl dust blended with plastic for a nice look and shine. They still feel like plastic. As I have said before, there are only a few things that feel better then dipping your hand into a box of pearl buttons. I could almost charge for the experience. Carl www.cego.com

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between MOTHER OF PEARL and SHELL?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(kabert @ Jan. 21 2005,04:16) Is it possible to make fake MOP? That is, plastic buttons that have the shimmering rainbow of colors that real MOP has? I actually thought this recently when looking at a DKNY shirt -- a brand I usually avoid -- but this one had great fabric and actually seemed to have MOP buttons (it was on sale from $129.95, FWIW).
I saw really good fakes this week as I glanced down on my Guess boxers. From distance the buttons have the same shimmer as MOP but the Guess engraving gives it away. It is good enough for this application as if the observer is close enough to notice the difference the contents should provide enough distraction. B
I really like that shirt you are wearing in your avatar picture; may I enquire as to who made it? And is it a cutaway? Jon.

BjornH

Reaction score
I really like that shirt you are wearing in your avatar picture; may I enquire as to who made it? And is it a cutaway? Jon.
It's a Jatnzen shirt. It's the same fabric as in Nick M's second shirt on the first page of this thread. It has a sharkfin collar as pictured in the Joseph model on Jantzen's 'Latest shirt styles' page. It's my favorite casual shirt. Slim fitting, looks good w/o a tie and has gone through nearly 100 washes. I had to refasten a few buttons on it last week but it's still going strong. B Addition re buttons. MOP is from Oyster shells (hence the MOP name), trocas and others come from other shells. There is a (fuzzy) picture on the Jantzen site that shows the shells.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads