Plastic vs. Mother of Pearl

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by amirrorcrackd, Jan 20, 2005.

1. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

This may seem sophmoric, but, how does one tell the difference between plastic and MOP buttons? I'm trying to figure out if a Paul Smith shirt (the London line) has plastic of MOP buttons. Plus a good thing to know for future reference.

Thanks

Dan

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

If you can't tell from just looking at it, try the 'tooth test.' Either lightly bite the button or tap it against a tooth - if it feels hard against your teeth it's MOP, if it feels soft it's plastic.

Try looking on the back of the button as well. Although plastic buttons sometimes try imitating the shell, they usually do a bad job.

3. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

All of the Paul Smith London shirts I have seen have had plastic buttons; the main line Paul Smith shirts have shell or MOP buttons.

4. benchan

benchan Senior member

MOP feels cooler to touch. You can put it against your face/lips to feel it and you should able to tell the difference.

5. kabert

kabert Senior member

Is it possible to make fake MOP? That is, plastic buttons that have the shimmering rainbow of colors that real MOP has? I actually thought this recently when looking at a DKNY shirt -- a brand I usually avoid -- but this one had great fabric and actually seemed to have MOP buttons (it was on sale from $129.95, FWIW).

6. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Can't fake the rainbow effect.

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I actually like the rounded plastic buttons on my casual checked Lands End shirts. I love those shirts in general, actually.

8. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

I saw really good fakes this week as I glanced down on my Guess boxers. From distance the buttons have the same shimmer as MOP but the Guess engraving gives it away. It is good enough for this application as if the observer is close enough to notice the difference the contents should provide enough distraction.

B

9. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Did the engraving give it away because it said Guess, or just because it existed? I guess the question is, can MOP buttons bear engraving.

Tom

10. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Of course they can bear engraving -- my Jantzen shirts have "Jantzen tailor" on the bottom button, as does Banana Republic premium shirts. I don't think the engraving can give it away. It really is the rainbow effect. Great plastic buttons can have some sort of "shimmer," but when holding it up to light and looking at it from an angle (as one would a diamond), you don't see the rainbow.

11. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

12. ernest

ernest Senior member

What is the difference between MOTHER OF PEARL and SHELL?

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(kabert @ Jan. 21 2005,04:16) Is it possible to make fake MOP? That is, plastic buttons that have the shimmering rainbow of colors that real MOP has? I actually thought this recently when looking at a DKNY shirt -- a brand I usually avoid -- but this one had great fabric and actually seemed to have MOP buttons (it was on sale from $129.95, FWIW).
    I saw really good fakes this week as I glanced down on my Guess boxers. From distance the buttons have the same shimmer as MOP but the Guess engraving gives it away. It is good enough for this application as if the observer is close enough to notice the difference the contents should provide enough distraction. B
    I really like that shirt you are wearing in your avatar picture; may I enquire as to who made it? And is it a cutaway? Jon.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Pretty sure that MOP is a subdivision of Shell buttons in general, just like Abalone and Trocas are.

Jon.

15. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

It's a Jatnzen shirt. It's the same fabric as in Nick M's second shirt on the first page of this thread. It has a sharkfin collar as pictured in the Joseph model on Jantzen's 'Latest shirt styles' page. It's my favorite casual shirt. Slim fitting, looks good w/o a tie and has gone through nearly 100 washes. I had to refasten a few buttons on it last week but it's still going strong. B Addition re buttons. MOP is from Oyster shells (hence the MOP name), trocas and others come from other shells. There is a (fuzzy) picture on the Jantzen site that shows the shells.