• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plastic Shoe Trees *gasp*

tsacain

Reaction score
I only get my shoe trees from the thrift store. (Besides the few from my grandfather which are a little small). I have tons of wood trees but for my work boots I use a pair of plastic trees which are made VERY well. The plastic is thick and the metal is rigid. They in my mind feel better than the club room or nordstrom ceder trees I have in my dress shoes

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Once again... wood shoe trees do NOTHING for "absorbtion of moisture".
With respect, this is not fully true. Wood by its very nature absorbs moisture via capillary action. This is how all trees on earth drink water and stay alive. Wood shoe trees will 100% absorb moisture provided the wood is untreated/unsealed. Cedar shoe trees, when purchased, must be lightly sanded before their first usaage. and should be lightly sanded once a year to freshen them up. Lacquered or otherwise sealed finishes on wood trees will render the tree usless for moisture absorbtion because their surface has been sealed. Some high end shoe makers/cordwainers provide custom wood trees that are lacquered while others proveide them unlacquered or urethaned. Natural untreated wood (cedar or other) is the only way to go for moisture absorbtion.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JDMills
Montreal im afraid
ffffuuuu.gif
every cobbler and store I've been too sell them for 35 plus tax.

Try Golftown.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a cedar shoe tree believer, however I recently purchased a pair of higher end Sutor Mantellassi (plug: from SF affiliate ShopTheFinest!) and they came with plastic shoe trees. They aren't the usual craptastic types though; they are well built, hinged at the heel, and they fit the boot - toe, vamp, and heel - like a glove. I've taken to using them most of the time to retain the shape, but about 1-in-4 wears I through in a pair of my my cedar boot trees (double-plug: from SF affiliate Cedarville Store!).

My point being that I think a perfectly lasted plastic tree (especially from the manufacturer) has value for shape, but I still think it's worth throwing some cedar in there occasionally.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
I'm a cedar shoe tree believer, however I recently purchased a pair of higher end Sutor Mantellassi (plug: from SF affiliate ShopTheFinest!) and they came with plastic shoe trees. They aren't the usual craptastic types though; they are well built, hinged at the heel, and they fit the boot - toe, vamp, and heel - like a glove. I've taken to using them most of the time to retain the shape, but about 1-in-4 wears I through in a pair of my my cedar boot trees (double-plug: from SF affiliate Cedarville Store!).
I switch them out for wood tress as soon as I open the box. Filling out the vamp isn't all that important. The thing that lessens creasing is straightening out the sole.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL... it's like broscience for wood v water...

Yeah, wood is more absorbent than plastic. Duh. But the tree doesn't absorb ENOUGH to matter.
Why do you think all the high end trees are lacquered?

You can ask Teemu, George, Tony, they'll all tell you the same.

Patrick- I don't advocate plastic trees- and what you say about pinning in moisture- I could see that though I have no experience... but my point is wood trees aren't magic little sponges like many think.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by twosnapsandgo
wooden shoe trees are not hard to find nor are they expensive. Aside from absorption wood is stronger than plastic. Wood particularly cedar absorbs bad oder. I am not sure how long the life of a shoe would be with a plastic shoe tree in comparison to the life of a shoe that uses cedar shoe trees.

I've never seen a plastic shoe tree before! Care to take a pic?

Odour.

Oder is a river in Central Europe. It rises in the Czech Republic and flows through western Poland, later forming 187 kilometres (116 mi) of the border between Poland and Germany, part of the Oder-Neisse line. The river ultimately flows into the Szczecin Lagoon north of Szczecin and then into three branches (the Dziwna, Świna and Peene) that empty into the Gulf of Pomerania of the Baltic Sea.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Why do you think all the high end trees are lacquered?

wut, they are not, dude

i talk to the producer and not a shoemaker...

moltoelegante

Reaction score
The time when I want to protect my shoes the most is when travelling (by air), and then every kilo counts, so I'd definitely be tempted to get some plastic trees just for this purpose

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads