• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plastic Shoe Trees *gasp*

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Yes, yes, I know it's blasphemy: aside from moisture absorption, is there a functional difference between plastic shoe trees and cedar shoe trees?

I ask because I have some shoes that I barely wear. I'm finding a hard time using cedar shoe trees in those; figure I can just pop in the cedar on any particular shoe I've used recently. Then I'll rotate it to plastic.

Discuss. thx

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
wooden shoe trees are not hard to find nor are they expensive. Aside from absorption wood is stronger than plastic. Wood particularly cedar absorbs bad oder. I am not sure how long the life of a shoe would be with a plastic shoe tree in comparison to the life of a shoe that uses cedar shoe trees.

I've never seen a plastic shoe tree before! Care to take a pic?

Style Pontifex

Reaction score

koolhistorian

Reaction score
good for travel and storage - leave your shoes at least 48 hours on cedar or other wood shoe trees, then transfer on plastic ones if you have.

rickimky

Reaction score
I use plastic shoe trees only for my boat shoes. But I guess they're great for travel too. Better than no shoe tree.

rickimky

Reaction score
and yes. plastic trees are wayyyyyyy cheaper. well at least here in the little red dot.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, gents. I guess one thing I want to be on the lookout for is a plastic shoe tree that is "split," i.e., puts pressure on the sides of the toe and vamp for better shape-retention.

Where do you guys get your trees?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just buy wooden trees from our forum affiliate, cedarville store. Shoe trees will literally last forever, and they sell well if you want to get rid of them. If you spend several hundred dollars on shoes, why wouldn't you spend 5-10% of that amount to better preserve them?

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
I have purchased from Cedarville. They still cost triple or quadruple the price.

If people can explain to me the superiority of wood over plastic when it comes to storage (as in, not wearing the shoes for weeks), then I'm all ears. I've read quite a few articles on the issue and most end up touting cedar for moisture absorption--which has no relevance when it comes to storage.

I myself would rather buy another pair or two of shoes than spend money on cedar shoe trees that have no practical advantage over plastic when it comes to storage.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
I would expect that the breathabiltiy of the wood would be an asset, and the non-porous nature of the plastic to be an issue. Or, it could not matter at all. Without a proper study it's all just blah blah blah. Plastic is beter than no shoe tree. Though, if you spend more than $200 on a pair of shoes it shouldn't be an issue to spend an extra $10 or $20 for some crappy wood shoe trees (at very least). I don't expect there would be a disadvangtage to plastic when it comes to storage, except being a PITA to switch around.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'll just use plastic for storing some of my "cheap" shoes; I did a good google search but can't find split-toe plastic shoe trees. I do think that's problematic even for storage. ;/

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen cheap would ones online, but I can't speak for the quality.

-LR

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use plastic shoe trees when I travel. I can't bring an extra 3-5 lbs or so per pair of shoe on the plane. You can get them for as cheap as $2. It's good enough for me.

I have woodlore epic for all my shoes at home though.

It's a fallacy to believe that the wood is absorbing water. If anything, it'll just take longer to dry out. The shape is all that counts. Case in point: many high end shoe makers sell lasted shoe trees that are varnished. RLPL does this.

BamaHater

Reaction score
Go to Nordstroms Rack and get their trees. About $14 for nice Cedar trees.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I use plastic shoe trees when I travel. I can't bring an extra 3-5 lbs or so per pair of shoe on the plane. You can get them for as cheap as $2. It's good enough for me.

I have woodlore epic for all my shoes at home though.

It's a fallacy to believe that the wood is absorbing water. If anything, it'll just take longer to dry out. The shape is all that counts. Case in point: many high end shoe makers sell lasted shoe trees that are varnished. RLPL does this.

agree, basically.

If you showed me a lasted, ventilated plastic shoe tree, I would prefer it to the standard junky cheap cedar tree.

cedar has some anti-odor properties but I rotate so much that I don't get smells anyway.

Unfortunately, the best shaped and designed trees are wood

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads