Plasma vs. LCD vs. LED?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by BrianVarick, Feb 4, 2010.

1. sjd

sjd Senior member

I have a Panasonic Viera Plasma and love it. It's even in a room with large bay window and looks just fine. I too, was torn between LCD & Plasma and what clinched it for me was watching football on both side by side. The thrown ball was so much smoother on the plasma.

2. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

Right now I am considering this, it has great reviews, and is relatively cheap.

3. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

4. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I think the superiority of plasma screens is completely overstated and somewhat misleading. First of all, there is a humongous price and quality spread amongst LCD screens, so any generalizations should be taken loosely. Second, I have a hard time understanding how anybody can so readily declare one kind of television superior to another when it must be viewed under very particular conditions to look better and it looks worse normally. If you really want to setup a proper home theater in a room without light, a DLP projector makes the most sense. Hell, if I had a dedicated home theater, I'd pick a DLP rear-projection set over an LCD or a Plasma. We had an excellent Samsung DLP set before we moved to Chicago: it did not perform as well as an LCD during the day, but it was amazing at night. In my opinion, neither plasmas nor LCDs can look so film-like at their best. Refresh rates are a non-issue for DLPs. Currently, we have a year-and-a-half old Sharp AQUOS LC-52SE94U screen that was a top-of-the-line LCD when we bought it. We thought its image looked a lot more natural and detailed than the super-bright, super-contrasty Samsung screens everyone was raving about. People forget that personal preferences matter a lot.

5. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I have a Samsung. Absolutely amazing picture quality.

6. Trip English

Trip English New Member

I have an LCD in the bedroom and a plasma in the main room. I like both very much, but the plasma, to my eye, is the more organic image. The LCD is by nature a little more saturated. I don't think anyone would be unhappy with either one, though.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I think the superiority of plasma screens is completely overstated and somewhat misleading. First of all, there is a humongous price and quality spread amongst LCD screens, so any generalizations should be taken loosely. Second, I have a hard time understanding how anybody can so readily declare one kind of television superior to another when it must be viewed under very particular conditions to look better and it looks worse normally.

If you really want to setup a proper home theater in a room without light, a DLP projector makes the most sense. Hell, if I had a dedicated home theater, I'd pick a DLP rear-projection set over an LCD or a Plasma. We had an excellent Samsung DLP set before we moved to Chicago: it did not perform as well as an LCD during the day, but it was amazing at night. In my opinion, neither plasmas nor LCDs can look so film-like at their best. Refresh rates are a non-issue for DLPs.

Currently, we have a year-and-a-half old Sharp AQUOS LC-52SE94U screen that was a top-of-the-line LCD when we bought it. We thought its image looked a lot more natural and detailed than the super-bright, super-contrasty Samsung screens everyone was raving about. People forget that personal preferences matter a lot.

Pulling down the shades is hardly a peculiar circumstance.

The best home TV's I've seen are all plasmas, Panasonic, Pioneer and Fujitsu all make (made?) excellent ones.

8. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

We're hoping plasma works. Pioneer got out of the game last year so we were able to get a massively marked-down model last year. Still haven't tried it-- the renovations surrounding its destination continue.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

We're hoping plasma works. Pioneer got out of the game last year so we were able to get a massively marked-down model last year. Still haven't tried it-- the renovations surrounding its destination continue.

I have had one for about 18 months now. I like it a lot. It's in a room without blinds, though, and it suffers in the daytime. But I pretty much only watch it at night.

Weighs more than our car.

10. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have had one for about 18 months now. I like it a lot. It's in a room without blinds, though, and it suffers in the daytime. But I pretty much only watch it at night.

Weighs more than our car.

I think there's a bracket we can use to attach it to studs. So the weight won't be an issue.

As far as the quality goes, we're not going to be encouraging daytime use. It is the summer house we're talking about.

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I can't tell much difference between LCD or plasma unless they are side by side. But when I compare, I like the color in Plasma TVs more. The 120 Hz LCDs look fake to me - figures in the foreground look hyperreal compared to the background. I don't notice this so much on the Plasma TVs.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I think the superiority of plasma screens is completely overstated and somewhat misleading. First of all, there is a humongous price and quality spread amongst LCD screens, so any generalizations should be taken loosely. Second, I have a hard time understanding how anybody can so readily declare one kind of television superior to another when it must be viewed under very particular conditions to look better and it looks worse normally.

If you really want to setup a proper home theater in a room without light, a DLP projector makes the most sense. Hell, if I had a dedicated home theater, I'd pick a DLP rear-projection set over an LCD or a Plasma. We had an excellent Samsung DLP set before we moved to Chicago: it did not perform as well as an LCD during the day, but it was amazing at night. In my opinion, neither plasmas nor LCDs can look so film-like at their best. Refresh rates are a non-issue for DLPs.

Currently, we have a year-and-a-half old Sharp AQUOS LC-52SE94U screen that was a top-of-the-line LCD when we bought it. We thought its image looked a lot more natural and detailed than the super-bright, super-contrasty Samsung screens everyone was raving about. People forget that personal preferences matter a lot.

Understatement of the century.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Pulling down the shades is hardly a peculiar circumstance. The best home TV's I've seen are all plasmas, Panasonic, Pioneer and Fujitsu all make (made?) excellent ones.
    It is a peculiar circumstance. I don't want to have to adjust the lighting in my living room every time I want to watch TV. For decades, nobody has had to dim the lights or pull down the shades to get a decent image out of their television set--why should plasma screens by measured by a different standard? Keep in mind, you aren't always sitting down to watch a movie. Anyway, the best plasma screen in the world doesn't look as good as a DLP (either front or rear projected) in the dark.
    I can't tell much difference between LCD or plasma unless they are side by side. But when I compare, I like the color in Plasma TVs more. The 120 Hz LCDs look fake to me - figures in the foreground look hyperreal compared to the background. I don't notice this so much on the Plasma TVs.
    Well, I think it depends on the LCD. A lot of LCDs (Samsungs come to mind) are targeted at the mass market, where bright, vivid colors are more valued than natural-looking ones. When LCDs were less of a commodity, the high-end Sharp AQUOS sets were very hyped amongst the enthusiast audience because of how realistic and natural the image looked. Since then, Sharp has lost a lot of market share to Samsung, as well as downmarket competitors. The rise of LED-backlit LCDs is a pretty telling indicator of what the average consumer cares about. When I was comparing Sharps to Samsungs last year, the guy at the store could not understand why I'd want a Sharp when the Samsungs produced such higher-contrast images. However, in my opinion, the top end Samsungs tended to make everything look like a video game.
    Understatement of the century.
    In the sense that I'm very right or very wrong? [​IMG]

14. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Anyway, the best plasma screen in the world doesn't look as good as a DLP (either front or rear projected) in the dark.
    I think you are mistaken. Or at the least, only stating your opinion as opposed to a widely accepted one. Most professional reviewers and A/V magazine writers, maybe even our own GQGeek, consider a calibrated Pioneer plasma the best display ever made at least in the 43-60".
    Well, I think it depends on the LCD. A lot of LCDs (Samsungs come to mind) are targeted at the mass market, where bright, vivid colors are more valued than natural-looking ones. When LCDs were less of a commodity, the high-end Sharp AQUOS sets were very hyped amongst the enthusiast audience because of how realistic and natural the image looked. Since then, Sharp has lost a lot of market share to Samsung, as well as downmarket competitors. The rise of LED-backlit LCDs is a pretty telling indicator of what the average consumer cares about. When I was comparing Sharps to Samsungs last year, the guy at the store could not understand why I'd want a Sharp when the Samsungs produced such higher-contrast images. However, in my opinion, the top end Samsungs tended to make everything look like a video game.
    You are wrong to believe that vivid colors indicate an inferior display. If the colors are un-natural, the TV may just need to be calibrated. Another thing to keep in mind is that most TVs are set to some variation of "vivid" mode from the factory so that the display looks brighter on the showroom floor when compared to the competition. All LCDs and Plasmas usually have several viewing modes, called something like vivid, sport, movie and user selected. The movie mode tends to have more natural looking colors but in a lot of cases it just looks dimmer. Sometimes you can get lucky and get decent picture with accurate colors by copying the "user mode" settings from other people on AVSforum. Though I realize the added expense is not for everyone, if you really care about picture quality a pro calibration is the only way to make sure you are getting the the best possible picture from your display.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

In the sense that I'm very right or very wrong? [​IMG]

Very right.