• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Planning Large Sale - Seeking Advice on Posting

2ManyShoes

Reaction score
I've lost a little over 65 lbs. in the last couple of years and find myself with a closet full of clothes that no longer fit. These include suits, jackets, shirts, and pants, as well as some shoe, tie, and pocket square overstock. The items range in quality, condition, and degree of formality. I'm going to post them here before resorting to eBay. There will probably be over 100 items.

I've never sold anything on SF (although I have done so on eBay over the years). My question is, what's the best approach in terms of both forum etiquette and practicality for me? To put everything in one thread, or to have separate threads for each type of clothing and/or degree of formality? I don't want to overdo it, either with too large a thread or too many threads. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easiet to simply make a trip to your local goodwill and take the tax write off. Keep pictures and receipt...

...then read about the amazing scores in the Thrifting thread!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

HenryFlower

Reaction score
Noob, but as a buyer, I appreciate: 1) Clearly marking content in the title 2) Shorter posts The goal is to scan quickly and have some degree of confidence I'm not missing anything. From what I've seen, the seller trick is to have lots of items in one post so that drops can be applied item by item to keep the thread on the first page
smile.gif
For your stuff, perhaps just listing by category or, for large categories, by category and size. 'grats on the weight loss.

2ManyShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
Easiet to simply make a trip to your local goodwill and take the tax write off. Keep pictures and receipt...

...then read about the amazing scores in the Thrifting thread!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Did that with stuff I didn't think was worth the time to post, about 5 large bags. I ended up with a $5k deduction.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My hints would be:

Keep number of threads to a minimum, perhaps separated by overall type. For example, a thread for all shoes. One thread for clothes. One thread maybe for all accessories (or non-clothes items). This would help keep it organized, but also not to be so gigantic that it would be hard to wade through.

Keep a consistent format however you do it.
For example, the title:
SHOES: 15pair; EG, JL, Ferragamo, sizes 9.5-10D
CLOTHES: Suits 38R (Caruso, Brioni), Shirts 15.5-16 (RLPL, Dunhill), Pants 32X34 (Incotex, Panta, mabitex)
ACCESSORIES: Ties (Hermes, Polo), Cufflinks, Bags (Gucci, Ghurka)

Something like that. A title that says what's in there and a hint at the brands, with sizes, etc.

Inside the thread, keep a short, formatted style. Easy to read. Post basics like size, measurements, etc. and keep commentary to a minimum. With that many items, if you tell us the life story of each shirt, nobody will read it. just give the info.

Just my two cents; I like to see threads relatively well organized, so when scrolling it's not all chaos.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epic thread, your shoe bender.

What's your shoe size?

2ManyShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
Epic thread, your shoe bender.

Thanks, and obviously that's part of my motivation for generating some compensatory income.
blush.gif

Originally Posted by PipersSon
What's your shoe size?

I wear 10.5D. That's also my brother's size, however, and I gave him 6 of the best pairs (including some sweet Santonis, dang it), so despite the bender there will be less to sell on the shoe front than the others. I might let some Bontonis go, and maybe some Moreschis, Gravatis, Cole Haan, etc. Still ruminating on that.

BTW, suits and jackets will be 48L and 46L, mostly, ranging from Isaia, Oxxford, Lanvin, and Canali on the high end to stuff from Jeff at Wizard of Aahs at the bottom. (Replaced them with Kiton, Brioni, Ravazzolo, and tons more Oxxford, so I'm not complaining.) I'm a 42L now but can still wear the 44Ls I bought on the way down so am hanging on to them for the time being. Those might show up later, though.

Shirts will be 18, 17.5, and 17 x 36 and 37. Already sold 40 of them through a good consigner on eBay, but need to realize a little more ROI than I did on that deal. Pants will be 36 x 32, mostly.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers, shoes are not my size but thanks for the info.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads