• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Planning a trip in the US next February

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be coming in the US (DC) next February for a social event.

Since I have not been in the US in years, I plan to take advantage of the trip to make a few visits. I am mainly planning to visit old friends from when I lived there, which means I probably will be visiting Chicago as well as DC.

I know Chicago fairly well but I don't know DC (I have only been there once). Any suggestions for things to do and see in DC? For accomodation in both cities?

Also, I could decide to include other cities that I don't know (I have lived in Chicago and have briefly visited DC, NYC and SF). Any suggestion?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I will be coming in the US (DC) next February for a social event.

Since I have not been in the US in years, I plan to take advantage of the trip to make a few visits. I am mainly planning to visit old friends from when I lived there, which means I probably will be visiting Chicago as well as DC.

I know Chicago fairly well but I don't know DC (I have only been there once). Any suggestions for things to do and see in DC? For accomodation in both cities?

Also, I could decide to include other cities that I don't know (I have lived in Chicago and have briefly visited DC, NYC and SF). Any suggestion?

I would take maybe 2 days for the smithonians in DC, and don't forget the national gallery. get a hotel by a metro station.

and, if you have a free evening in chicago, look me up.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
and, if you have a free evening in chicago, look me up.

+1. Unless my **** antics on the interweb freak you out too much. Which would be understandable.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since it will be February you might want to take a trip down to Miami. The rest of the East Coast will be buried in snow at that time of year.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should see the real america. Tennessee, Oklahoma, Alabama, Texas.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Globe and Kwilk, I will try and meet you. Chicago is a sure stop.

Miami is a pretty good suggestion too. Tarmac, shouldn't Georgia figure in that list of Real America?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The DC museums are mostly good and all free. In Feb they will not be crowded, which is good.

White House tours and Capitol tours are also free, but I think you have to know someone to reserve one.

The National Zoo is pretty good.

If you want an El Bulli-type experience, but much less expensive, get a reservation at the "mini bar" inside Cafe Atlantico.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
Since it will be February you might want to take a trip down to Miami. The rest of the East Coast will be buried in snow at that time of year.

Miami??
eek.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let us know your DC dates if you have some free time, there are several SFers in the area who might want to meet up (myself included).

mr. magoo

Reaction score
My pick if you're short of time is to walk from the National Capitol building (i.e., the big dome), down the national "Mall" past all the Smithsonian Buildings to the Washington Monument (big obelisk) and then onto the Lincoln Memorial. If you have gas in the tank, continue on to the Jefferson Memorial. This is probably a 3 - 4 km walk, and a fun thing to take in. Washington was built to be impressive and faux Greek, so this is Washington at its best.

Smithsonian is a complex of national museums (or musea) and you can pick and choose based on your interests: American History, National History, Air and Space, Native American (may be interesting for non-American), Botanical Gardens, National Building Museu, Art Musuems (below), etc.

Smithsonian art museums: National Gallery (two wings - East and West), Hirschorn

Other smaller, private museums: Corcoran (art near White House), Phillips (art in DuPont Circle), Holocaust, Spy Museum, etc.

If museums aren't your thing, you can visit other monuments. As Manton says, getting into the White House or Capitol takes some advance preparation. I'd skip the zoo -- animals in DC are like they are elsewhere, though it is free.

If you're looking for neighborhoods to explore, it'd probably be Georgetown or Adams-Morgan or even Old Town Alexandria. DC also has passable theater and music scenes, big events at the Kennedy Center, and some other odd-ball tours if you scout around.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tarmac, shouldn't Georgia figure in that list of Real America?

Indiana, too.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump, as I am now really planning the trip. I tought about New Orleans but the time will be close to Mardi Gras (which means expensive travel, hotels full etc.). Maybe Boston?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bump, as I am now really planning the trip. I tought about New Orleans but the time will be close to Mardi Gras (which means expensive travel, hotels full etc.). Maybe Boston?

I've been to NO twice during MG, it really is a lot of fun. I'd look into prices before you decide you can't afford it, it might surprise you. shame to miss it if you have the chance.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in DC too and would suggest:

The Museum of American History. It will probably be crowded, but it just went through a 2 year renovation and is supposed to be pretty spectacular. I haven't yet been, myself.

You can easily get a tour of the capital. You merely need to reserve a time and print out your reservation before going. It's easy as pie.

White House tours are a whole other matter and given the coming change in admin, I'd expect it to be packed.

The NY Times recently ran a feature on DC's restaurants you may want to check out. Let me see if I can find a link...Here it is. I didn't actually read it, so can't comment on it, but thought it would be useful.

As Globetrotter says, stay in a hotel within a few blocks of the Metro.

b

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score

If you don't mind subzero temperatures (celsius) and lots of snow, Boston would be a good stop. There's a lot of history to be seen there of course as well as good music, art, etc. Visiting Harvard is usually popular with foreign tourists I'm sure. As much as I love Boston (I grew up there), I wouldn't stay as long as in say NYC or maybe even DC if I were you. There's a lot to see in Boston, but it is a small city and one can only take so much American history.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads