Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Plal.com

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cpal, Mar 6, 2004.

1. rayk

rayk Senior member

Alias, those are great shoes.. Â I've considered ordering them, but was put off by the intense darkness of the leather in all the photos on C&J, PLal, and Pediwear. Â The beauty of the shoes in your photos is a real selling point. Â I'll be seeing those in my closet very soon. After what seemed to be an interminable wait, I've finally received a pair of Belgrave handgrade from PLal. The wait for these was nearly two months, but it was worth it, and I did manage to get my order in prior to the price increase. Â Two days ago I placed an order for two additional pairs of C&J handgrade, antique tan Chester and brown Savile monk; however, Shyam Doshi did inform me that the wait would be a full two months. For me, the shape of the 337 last is both more attractive and comfortable than the 330 last of my Whitehalls. Â What do others feel about the differences in these two last shapes? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Alias

Alias Senior member

Very nice. The Belgraves were my second choice [​IMG] I prefer the 337 last over the 330 last due to the shape of the toe. The 337 has a more chisel-ish shape while the 330 has a more rounder shape. Also, from what I can tell, the 337 appears narrower around the ball of the foot than the 330. The pictures you'd find on Pediwear of the Audleys really do make them dark. I think it depends on the lighting. In the picture I posted, the flash made them look brighter, even after color correction. Looking at them now, with normal house lighting, at nighttime, they do look very dark like the Pediwear and C&J pictures.

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I agree, the 337 last is exquisite.

4. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

What about the 332?

Somewhere in the middle, or is it just a wider version of the 330?

5. AJL

AJL Senior member

A question for those of you ordering and/or having received shoes on 337 last: did you in fact order them one full size smaller than American as some have suggested (contrary to the general notion that C&J handgrades should be ordered 1/2 size smaller)?
    I am thinking of ordering a pair of brown Saviles (love those monks).

Thanks.

-AJL

6. rayk

rayk Senior member

I'm a size 11.5D (US), but ordered my first pair of C&J Whitehall handgrades in 11E (UK), per common recommendation.  Well, they fit, but not as perfectly as I had hoped.  The slippage was noticeable but not sufficient for a return.  I instructed Shyam Doshi to send my next pair in 10.5E (UK), and those were perfect..  So in answer to your question I would say that, at least in my personal experience, a full size reduction from your US size will assure you the proper fit.  Remember you can change the width to tweak the fit, as well.

7. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

Those are some sweet shoes Alias.
    I have never had the pleasure of seeing a pair of C&J Handgrade up close. How do they compare to say Edward Green?

8. Alias

Alias Senior member

No idea. I don't own a pair of EG's [​IMG] These are actually my first pair of really really really nice shoes.

9. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

Don't forget that the Whitehall is in the 330 last, whereas the Savile is in the 337 last. Size reductions may not be the same for both lasts. and on top of that may vary from person to person.

I still don't have any C&Js yet, but these pics are very tempting.

10. rayk

rayk Senior member

Good point, TimelessRider.  Last style definitely affects proper fit.  In my experience, the C&J 337 last fit best one full size smaller than my typical US size.  Can anyone else with C&J experience provide additional insight or personal experience?

11. musiczone

musiczone Member

I also just received a pair of Belgraves in size 8 from plal.I purchased a pair of Onslow's size 9 last year in London and my Alden penny loafers are a size 9D.In cheaper shoes I wear anything from a 9.5 to 10.

12. Stu

Stu Senior member

Just wanted to chime in here and say I got my black Belgraves and Chiltern boots in snuff suede yesterday. Beautiful. I couldn't wait to get home from work and play with my new shoes.

PLAL is first rate. I'll bet it was Pediwear that ratted them out for selling too low.

13. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Hi AJL,

I am seriously considering ordering a pair of Saviles as well. Please let me know what the fit is - if 1 size smaller works, I will put an order through in the near future. I think that Saviles are among the most attractive RTW monks out there...

14. raley

raley Senior member

http://www.plal.com/loakes.htm You all have been talking about the C&J's, but I was wondering what you thought of these shoes? They seem pretty nice for a cheap price (mid 150's)... any thoughts?

15. PJ DANDY

PJ DANDY New Member

Hi,

Do you have any idea why the price of C&J is so attractive at Plal?

I wonder if the shoes are real C&J, someone could confirm that it is true British quality?

Cheers,