• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Plain pocket squares?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,082
Reaction score
13
I do not own a single pocket square so I have decided I would like to try em out and see if I like the look. I am thinking I'll prob. just got with plain white to begin with, or maybe some subtle designs (just not anything silky/blousy). Where should I grab em? I was thinking this doesn't really matter as it is a plain pocket square so Brooks would prob do. However I have also seen sellers on ebay selling pre-folded squares in a number of different folding styles, is this recommended? Also what is the traditional rule as far as what color pocket square do go with?

match the shirt? match some color in the tie? white can go with anything? it doesn't really matter?
 

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
4,310
Reaction score
82
Kent Wang makes very nice inexpensive pocket squares in white linen and silk. Do not buy prefolded. Do not match shirt color (exception being white). Your PS should pick up a color in your tie without actually matching. You can also have a PS in a complementary color to your tie.
 

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,082
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by KObalto
Kent Wang makes very nice inexpensive pocket squares in white linen and silk. Do not buy prefolded. Do not match shirt colr (exception being white). Your PS should pick up a color in your tie without actually matching. You can also have a PS in a complementary color to your tie.

Okay I will check him out, but def. not pre-folded? may I ask why? they just look like they would stay better onec pre-folded and stichted that way.. but maybe not.
 

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
4,310
Reaction score
82
Originally Posted by pg600rr
Okay I will check him out, but def. not pre-folded? may I ask why? they just look like they would stay better onec pre-folded and stichted that way.. but maybe not.

Pre-folded look overly fussy and ... pre-folded. A pocket square should not be perfectly geometrically arranged as the pre-folded ones are. Folding is easy, just Google "How to fold a pocket square". BB's black book also has some instructions.
In addition to Kent, for inexpensive prints, you might want to check out another SF member's site, www.howardyount.com.
 

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by pg600rr
Okay I will check him out, but def. not pre-folded? may I ask why? they just look like they would stay better onec pre-folded and stichted that way.. but maybe not.

Prefolded is to pocket squares as clip-on is to ties.
 

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
2,082
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by James Bond
Prefolded is to pocket squares as clip-on is to ties.

ah I see, I will go with the unfolded then and learn to fold myself. Thanks everyone for the info!
 

base615

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
188
Reaction score
0
I have to say, although I've bought PS from Kent, am very happy with them and will order coloured squares from him again, I reckon you can't go wrong with getting plain white linen squares from a needlecraft store. The ones I get are a lot smaller than other squares because I'm a dwarf but the shop does bigger ones in similar proportions to what you see sold elsewhere. They cost me about $12 Aussie (approx $8 US)
 

appolyon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2007
Messages
2,095
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by base615
I have to say, although I've bought PS from Kent, am very happy with them and will order coloured squares from him again, I reckon you can't go wrong with getting plain white linen squares from a needlecraft store. The ones I get are a lot smaller than other squares because I'm a dwarf but the shop does bigger ones in similar proportions to what you see sold elsewhere. They cost me about $12 Aussie (approx $8 US)

You should call Seward themselves you can get them for $5AUD (they have a minimum order of $100 though) ... and this is for Irish linen, hand rolled edges (Henry Bucks sells the exact same ones for $15)
 

630

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Messages
82
Reaction score
1
If you really want to just play with the look, you can go to a place like Target and get a pack of white handkerchiefs. Extremely inexpensive, like 12 for $4. If you need to sneeze into something, you'll still have 11 more in the drawer at home.
 

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2007
Messages
1,179
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by 630
If you really want to just play with the look, you can go to a place like Target and get a pack of white handkerchiefs. Extremely inexpensive, like 12 for $4. If you need to sneeze into something, you'll still have 11 more in the drawer at home.

+1. Nordstrom Rack and Marshalls also have multi-packs of pretty nice handkerchiefs for less than 10 bucks.
 

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,835
Reaction score
1,383
If you really want to save money, try out the look with a paper napkin. You can get a pack of 1000 at Walmart for about $4, or you can even just take some from a restaurant.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
157
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
If you really want to save money, try out the look with a paper napkin. You can get a pack of 1000 at Walmart for about $4, or you can even just take some from a restaurant.

Toilet tissue is softer, and some even come with quilting or printed designs.


- B
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,512
Reaction score
3,505
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Toilet tissue is softer, and some even come with quilting or printed designs.

And if you leave it by a sunny window for a while, it'll yellow and turn cream.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
429,210
Messages
9,230,346
Members
193,758
Latest member
Maikkelj
Top