• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plaid DS and accompaniment

style from the heartland

Reaction score
Gang:

I am trying to decide on purchasing a shirt like this to expand my business wardrobe. Comment please on the suitability/flexibility of this type of plaid shirt for a law office setting. I love the rarity of the plaid but fear making an exotic quantum leap with such purchase.

I see this shirt with a solid tie, perhaps solid two-tone, w/ diagonal stripes that pick up the lavender? Or a solid, w/ complimentary-colored geometric pattern? Charcoal solid suit would finish the ensemble.

Anyone that can slap sense into me, or concur on the idea?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless you regularly wear bold patterned shirts, this is way too advanced for you. I would not wear a grey shirt, and if you work in a typical conservative law firm, this shirt is just tooo much. If you do want to wear it, keep everything else solid because you will have a 90% chance of failing if you try and add more colors/patterns to an outfit with this shirt.

style from the heartland

Reaction score
Thanks for thoughts ed. I currently wear a combo of solids + a couple of tattersall/ plaids, but nothing so agressive. All my other plaids are white/blue in color, so admittedly--the gray base of this shirt would be as I said--a bit of a quantum leap.

I dress fairly inspired for my at times drab profession. On the other hand, I have no Denny Crane aspirations.

Any different opinions? If not, I can save myself the $120 + tie to go with and reinvest elsewhere for my yr end buy.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like that shirt, but it limits your tie selection. Don't know much about law offices, but I think it would look really good with a solid charcoal suit and a solid tie that matches whatever color the stripe is in the shirt. Of course, since the stripe is lavender (as it appears to me), you'd really be pushing it. If the stripe were red/maroon; I think you have a better chance of pulling it off.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm wearing that shirt as I type.

It's kind of a pain to find a tie that's a good match. I ended up wearing a purple paisley which matches the color of the stripe. I guess it worked since my wife didn't object. I was also wearing a sweater which toned it down a bit.

I can't comment on the law office part since I'm a sw engineer and am considered a freak for even wearing a tie with any regularity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads