1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Placket or not placket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Recoil, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I like both the "French" and regular placket on shirts. I think my shirt wardrobe is split 50/50 roughly.

2. TIEALIGN

TIEALIGN Senior member

I like both the "French" and regular placket on shirts. I think my shirt wardrobe is split 50/50 roughly.

+1 I dont have a strong preference either way.

3. MellonC

MellonC Well-Known Member

According to my tailor...

typicaly wider torso people prefer the standard placket as it separates the upper body in two. Skinnier dudes, however, should opt for french placket....

same goes for the box pleats in the back. bigger guys with huge back should opt for the box pleats whereas the smaller guys might want to go with side pleats.

There! That should solve the confusion.

4. jefferson

jefferson Well-Known Member

I actually prefer normal (non-french) plackets for all business attire and reserve french for casual only. To my eye, the french doesn't seem to carry enough weight for work- not staid enough.

5. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

According to my tailor...

typicaly wider torso people prefer the standard placket as it separates the upper body in two. Skinnier dudes, however, should opt for french placket....

same goes for the box pleats in the back. bigger guys with huge back should opt for the box pleats whereas the smaller guys might want to go with side pleats.

There! That should solve the confusion.

Good post!

6. ned kelly

ned kelly Active Member

There seems to be some confusion over what constitutes a 'French' placket. A French placket is 'plain' in the sense that there is no seam or stitching distinguishing it from the body of the shirt.

This is a French placket:
    [​IMG]

Could you please post a photo of both types of plackets? This will permit all readers of this thread to hopefully reach a general consensus on the correct name for each placket. After reading all three pages of this thread i am still confused.

7. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

lmao.

just read this thread...omg

a thread could not be more confusing!.....wow

French = no placket

a plain placket is not French......

a placket is a placket.

I guess some say French placket..but it has NO placket....!!!!!..it is French.

traditionally, a French front was considered MORE dressy...but there was always debate about that.///......always.