• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Places you most often use cash over a card

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
if they accept credit cards, I'm going to use one. don't deny me from my starwood points

+1.

Originally Posted by Roy
I don't even have a credit card. I pay pretty much everything by cash.
Originally Posted by bigbris1
This^

What's wrong with you peeps?

a) Do you not trust yourself to spend within your means?
b) Are you Chinese?
c) Do you not realize that credit cards are great for building up a good credit score? And that without a good credit score you can't get a home loan at a good price?
d) You are missing out on awesome bonus points. Just a few months ago I got 100K British Airways miles for signing up for their Visa. Not to mention SPG pts in general. Or Costco cash back.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shurgen
I have a close friend of mine who was offered almost 1.5x the price of the next highest bidder for their house (about $1.3 million), but turned down the offer because it was too sketchy to be paid that much money in cash.

Interestingly, they were also a Chinese couple.

That's dumb. Cash = sketchiness not your problem.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
+1.

b) Are you Chinese?
c) Do you not realize that credit cards are great for building up a good credit score? And that without a good credit score you can't get a home loan at a good price?
d) You are missing out on awesome bonus points. Just a few months ago I got 100K British Airways miles for signing up for their Visa. Not to mention SPG pts in general. Or Costco cash back.

Cash is easier, in the Netherlands it works à bit differently in regards to the credit score. I don't care about bonus points. Credit Card interest rates are insane. Transaction costs as well, I don't even accept credit cards in my stores.

Concerning my home loan, its fixed at 4,5% and the loan is less than half what my home is worth.

Why leave a huge trail of what you have bought, where you have been and how much money you've spent?

JesterM

Reaction score
+1.

b) Are you Chinese?

e) Also depending on the company, for big ticket items like electronics cc's will supplement the warranty.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1.

b) Are you Chinese?

Not interested. But thanks!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesterM
e) Also depending on the company, for big ticket items like electronics cc's will supplement the warranty.

Great point. To be able to buy a $1000 camera and take it on vacation through third world countries for three months with no concern about it's wellbeing is a great benefit.

Originally Posted by bigbris1
Not interested. But thanks!

Cool, man. Whatever floats your boat. Da man is gonna steal your infoz and identity!!!!
ffffuuuu.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I haven't used a card for over 2 years, don't miss it a bit.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great point. To be able to buy a $1000 camera and take it on vacation through third world countries for three months with no concern about it's wellbeing is a great benefit.
when you take $1000 camera on vacation for three months to a third world country I would be more worried about my own wellbeing than my cameras wellbeing.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy
when you take $1000 camera on vacation for three months to a third world country I would be more worried about my own wellbeing than my cameras wellbeing.

Meh, people rarely try to hurt you in Southeast Asia, though theft is a real concern. If you are talking about some parts of South America or perhaps South Africa, then yes.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, people rarely try to hurt you in Southeast Asia, though theft is a real concern. If you are talking about some parts of South America or perhaps South Africa, then yes.
Southeast Asia somehow doesn't really appeal to me, however I would like to visit Africa very much. I have a ten year plan to become a Earthrounder (takes a lot of preparation...) so I have to visit Southeast Asia on that trip, but still. And, probably, by that time I will have to use a card. http://www.earthrounders.com/ round the world flights in light aircraft.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Can you buy plane tickets or rent a car without a credit card these days?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Can you buy plane tickets or rent a car without a credit card these days?

Do you really think a bumpkin that doesn't use a credit card is traveling on planes?

k9n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Bars. Paying for drinks as I order them gives me the freedom to leave whenever I want to rather than waiting for the bartender to retrieve my card and ring up my tab.

This as well as cabs

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Do you really think a bumpkin that doesn't use a credit card is traveling on planes?

You mean we're not all ballers that have private jets?
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads