1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Places to live in Chicago

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Dashaansafin, Oct 4, 2010.

1. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

Also when are we going to have a chicago get together, maybe the OP could join?

2. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

I would say Kenilworth or Winnetka....

3. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

West Town. It's a real estate agent's made-up neighborhood, but I think it provides the best value in Chicago.

Basically it's the area between the West Loop and Ukranian Village/Wicker park. It has restaurants and bars, but isn't a weekend destination neighborhood. Low cost, lots of units renovated before the bust and easy access to the loop. It's also on the Blue line, which runs 24/7 (unlike most CTA lines) and runs underground for the Grand, Chicago and Division stops, so you don't have to wait out in the cold. There's also plenty of street parking.

4. BP348

BP348 Senior member

Somewhere near 2700 S. California? I hear the rent is cheep!!

OP I'll let you google that address.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Have fun in Chicago, wish I could move back!!

5. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

I live in Lincoln Park and I love it. Twenty-minute commute to work via express bus to River North area. The main reason I like my location is close proximity to the zoo, Conservatory, Lily Pool, beach, Lakeshore trail, farmer's market, and reasonably-priced restaurants on Clark Street. I take full advantage of these perks.

As long as I am in Chicago, I plan to be in LP for some time.

6. Oski

Oski Senior member

i like pilsen
    Born and raised in East-Pilsen. Funny how much it changed since we moved. Used to be gang shootings every week. Now there are hipsters walking down the streets at night. [​IMG]

7. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Born and raised in East-Pilsen.
    Funny how much it changed since we moved.
    Used to be gang shootings every week.
    Now there are hipsters walking down the streets at night. [​IMG]

why don't you shoot some of them to help it get back to the old ways you miss so dearly?

my grandma says the same thing about williamsburg, but without the anger.

8. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

Been working blocks from where you'll be for the past 4 years now.

First two years I lived in the Fulton River District. Kind of a transition area between the Loop proper and River North. Jewel/Chase shopping plaza recently opened there, lots of trendy hip eateries, relatively quiet given proximity to loop, and of course, the ever-present aroma of chocolate in the air thanks to the Brommer's factory not far from there. I loved living there.

Currently living in the West Loop. As long as I'm working & living in the city, I need the ability to be able to walk to work. People saying they walk to work from Lincoln Park must only be doing it in the fair-weather months or have a background in mountaineering.

Because of that one requirement, only certain neighborhoods were ever in consideration - West Loop, Fulton, Printer's Row, South Loop; if I really wanted to stretch the distance thing: River North, Streeterville, Old Town. I'd tell you to look into anyone of those, they all have their pros/cons.

I chose West Loop because its an easy walk to work yet I feel distant enough from the Loop when I'm home; it's relatively safe or at least you eventually get that impression seeing all the strollers/kids/dogs/moms-to-be; great access to the greater Chicagoland area via CTA/Metra/90/94/290/55; plenty of free parking. Blackhawks'/Bulls' recent success lends the neighborhood appeal as Madison Street feels more like a Northside neighborhood with all the fans/bars/hoopla.

If eateries are a heavy priority, West Loop may not be it for you. I find the area seriously lacking when it comes to spots to go for a good, quick bite. Greektown's way overrated, for anyone planning to counter with it.

One thing you should know is if you're single and looking to meet other singles, you might be best off somewhere like Printer's Row/South Loop where all the liberal art schools are.

9. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

^Thanks for the great info. I thought Streeterville/Rivernorth was close but I guess West Loop is closer? Eateries is not a big deal at all since I will be eating 80% of the time. What is rent like in West Loop vs Streeterville?

Have a gf so not looking for singles.

Thanks!

10. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

rent.com will give you some overview of where the various Chicago neighborhoods are located on a map and rough guidance on price.

Lots of ads on something like craigslist will have a listing that says a unit is in a particular area, but often it will be at the way far edge of that neighborhood or just outside of it.

I enjoyed Gold Coast the most of the neighborhoods I lived in, Old Town would be nice too.

You won't be able to walk to work all that often but a very short el ride or cab.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

If eateries are a heavy priority, West Loop may not be it for you. I find the area seriously lacking when it comes to spots to go for a good, quick bite. Greektown's way overrated, for anyone planning to counter with it.
    Really? West Loop has some great quick places. The girl and the goat for one.

12. Oski

Oski Senior member

why don't you shoot some of them to help it get back to the old ways you miss so dearly?

my grandma says the same thing about williamsburg, but without the anger.

Not that I miss the old violent ways, not at all.
    But East Pilsen used to be much more rich with Hispanic culture before.
    Since the 1960's, when my grandparents migrated here.
    Now it has turned into the new "hip hotspot", for some.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Now it has turned into the new "hip hotspot", for some.

It's called "Wicker park got too expensive"

14. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

^Thanks for the great info. I thought Streeterville/Rivernorth was close but I guess West Loop is closer? Eateries is not a big deal at all since I will be eating 80% of the time. What is rent like in West Loop vs Streeterville?

Have a gf so not looking for singles.

Thanks!

Streeterville is significantly further than the West Loop and rents are generally higher as well. Being right off the lake, Streeterville is also colder and a lot windier than the West Loop in the winter. Lastly, and this is a big deal for me, Streeterville is tourist-central, what with Michigan Ave. and Northwestern Memorial being in the heart of it. West Loop is very much a Chicagoan neighborhood, mostly devoid of non-city folk. Again, this can be interpreted differently based on tastes.

15. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Streeterville is an area, not a neighborhood. It's the Chicago equivalent of living in Midtown Manhattan.

16. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

^Just Googled maped it and Streeterville is 1.5 miles from South Wacker, same distance as West Loop. The rent on Rent.com is about the same. I don't mind it being colder during the winter as I'll be inside. Is the view from Streeterville better? That would be my only "want", the view.

17. otc

otc Senior member

^Just Googled maped it and Streeterville is 1.5 miles from South Wacker, same distance as West Loop. The rent on Rent.com is about the same. I don't mind it being colder during the winter as I'll be inside. Is the view from Streeterville better? That would be my only "want", the view.

Yes.

Streeterville would give you highrises with lake views.

the real "West Loop" area is not really a high rise area (unless you are right next to the loop proper). Lots of shorter buildings...warehouse condo conversions and new construction imitations thereof.

You could also look at the cluster of buildings near the lake just south of the river (like the Harbor Point building and its neighbors) as well as buildings on michigan south of wacker. I work on south michigan and it has a great view...but I imagine it gets boring at night around here.

18. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

No comparison, views from Streeterville will be more spectacular than from West Loop.

19. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

It's not even degrees of spectacular-ness. West loop doesn't have any views unless you consider recently gentrified warehouses a view.

20. otc

otc Senior member

Also...don't discount singles activities

you *have* a girlfriend...I hate to be the one to break it to you but unlike your internship, your work doesn't end in august. By december, you are probably going to be wishing you lived near the things that singles like to do.