• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Places to get a suit pressed in NYC?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest Chan suit just came in the mail and I need to get it pressed. I'm leary of letting the corner dry cleaners loose on it and since my only previous jacket was picked up in HK, I haven't yet needed to have anything pressed in NYC. Any suggestions? Is it considered poor form to have a local tailor press another's work?

As an aside, it looks really nice and I suspect it will only look better after the wrinkles are gone. Since I received so many good pointers on fit and styling last time I posted a picture, I'll try to do that again with this suit.

dan

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Whoever you choose,make sure you insist on hand pressing so as not to kill the fabric.Tell them light on the lapels and pocket flaps so they wont fuse the fabric with their bazzilion degree pressing machines.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My latest Chan suit just came in the mail and I need to get it pressed.  I'm leary of letting the corner dry cleaners loose on it and since my only previous jacket was picked up in HK, I haven't yet needed to have anything pressed in NYC.  Any suggestions?  Is it considered poor form to have a local tailor press another's work?

As an aside, it looks really nice and I suspect it will only look better after the wrinkles are gone.  Since I received so many good pointers on fit and styling last time I posted a picture, I'll try to do that again with this suit.

dan
The sad thing about the demise of the neighborhood haberdasher, is that you could pop into see him and he'd press your suit while you waited.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the neighborhood haberdasher who "demised" (with extreme glee) ... I agree.

If large, reputable places are your schtick, you could try Cadillac Cleaners or Ernest Winzer. Both are good; Winzer is better. Both pick up and deliver in Manhattan.

There is also a small cleaner on E 73rd just east of 3rd Ave (south side of 73rd) behind BBQ. Owner's name is Sondra and she'll do a good, careful job. Tell her I said hello if you try her.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'll give one of those places a try.

dan

HitMan009

Reaction score
I would suggest picking up a steamer. On Amazon, there are some great deals to be had. I just ordered myself the Rowenta steamer for the great price of $119. Add something to make it over $125 and you can use the $25 coupon on their website.

ChanFan

Reaction score
Madame Paulette is very good bue is expensive as advised above. I do always take my good suits there since it's only once a year or so.

Phil

Reaction score
you could go to Hallak Cleaners, which is basically across the street from Paulette. I use both regularly, and they charge similar prices. A nice hand press will cost in the vicinity of $15-30, depending on the fabric.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Hallak is good, but very expensive.

The good point is that they are recommended by people in the high-end clothing biz, and you can use them with confidence. They'll also pick-up and deliver for no additional charge in Manhattan. The bad point is that they are very, very expensive on little things which the neighborhood guy would throw-in as a courtesy, such as sewing the underarm lining that has gotten loose.

A good, caring local cleaner can be as good. Mr. Kabbaz has one. The trick is finding one. I might have one on East End Ave., but I am still testing them.

Good luck.

highball

Reaction score
Just dug up this old thread while searching for a related query. Anyone know of a place in the city that will press a suit either same-day (preferred) or overnight? I should be receiving a suit in the mail tomorrow which I'll need to wear for an event Thursday, any suggestions would be appreciated.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Paulette is probably still a good choice, but the cost may be high. The last time my wife had a dress dry cleaned there it was $75. However, they delivered it via unicorn so you get what you pay for.

lefty

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Paulette is probably still a good choice, but the cost may be high. The last time my wife had a dress dry cleaned there it was $75. However, they delivered it via unicorn so you get what you pay for. lefty
Thanks! I just gave them a ring but apparently it's "company policy" not to give out standard pricing, or markup for expedited service over the phone. Also called Hallak: $26 for press-only for 120's wool & they can do expedited service at no mark-up. I was advised to ask for James, the store manager, for the best result. Hallak seemed very accommodating so I think I'll be going with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics