• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Places to get a suit pressed in NYC?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Paulette is probably still a good choice, but the cost may be high. The last time my wife had a dress dry cleaned there it was $75. However, they delivered it via unicorn so you get what you pay for. lefty
They charged $50 for a little girl's dress. Or would have if my wife had given them the dress. If they are $30 per suit, as noted above, which I doubt, I would give them a try.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
They charged $50 for a little girl's dress. Or would have if my wife had given them the dress. If they are $30 per suit, as noted above, which I doubt, I would give them a try.

They would have thrown in a unicorn ride.

My guess is that they're a lot more than $30.

lafty

brooklyn

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back a old post but i had the same exact same question. I just received my wwchan suit in the mail and it needs to be hand pressed. Are places like Hallak and Paulette still the places to go? what about jeeves on 65th street? or Meurice?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use Meurice for all the difficult/important dry cleaning. They do a good job. I haven't had them just press a jacket so I can't say for sure. I might consider taking it to an alterations tailor like Cardelino if you're only getting it pressed.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me an idea of what Hallak might charge to dryclean a tuxedo?

I know the general philosophy is to dryclean only when necessary, and to steam otherwise, but even lacking stains or some other visible distress, does there actually come a point (a certain number of wearings, or a certain span of time) where is steaming is insufficient, and a good drycleaning is prudent? Because my tuxedo sees the light of day only once or twice a year, judging by the number of wearings it gets, it might seem reasonable to clean it only every couple of years. But at the same time, letting it go that long between cleanings somehow seems... unseemly. Am I wrong? My thinking was that if I use a "green" drycleaner, the damage usually caused by the process would be minimal.

Thoughts?

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump. Any opinions on this? Thanks.

Jaygatsby28

Reaction score
Thought it might be worthwhile resurrecting this post as I have an additional question.

To answer the OPs post: I recently used Madame Paulette for one of my Chan's. I was at a wedding and a waiter dropped a bowl of ice cream on the back of my jacket. Cost was $50 for the dry cleaning. I was pleased with the results. The lapel roll looks just like it did the day I took delivery of the suit in HK. My standard maintenance is the brush my suits and hang. I rarely dry cleaning unless there is a situation like this.

Upon browsing a number of old posts (I google searched by adding "styleforum" in the search box - much better that the native search for this forum for some reason), I've read that the preferred high end dry cleaners are: Hallak, Madame Paulette, Meurice, Chris French. I think I will give Hallak a try next time just to see if they are any better/cheaper.

Mark Seitelman: how did it work out with the cleaners on East End?

My additional question: Where is it possible in NYC to get a sponge and press? I know Will from ASW likes RAVE fabricare but I'd like to try something more local than Arizona (as I live in NYC).

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$50 for drycleaning a suit is totally worth it for the peace of mind knowing it will be done correctly.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads