• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Places to check out in downtown Vancouver? (Food/Clothing/Haircut/Tailor)

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Moving to Vancouver in a few weeks, any recommendations for food/pub/clothing stores in downtown that any of you could suggest I check out?

Also looking for a reasonable place to get a haircut and a good tailor? Realistically I don't have that much money to spend $50+ on a haircut, or 100's on clothing alterations, so any mid-range suggestions would be appreciated!

latkaguy

Reaction score
For food, Blue Water"s sushi bar is not to be missed, and Vij's Indian food is amazing.

ashpool

Reaction score
Foodwise, I'd vote on the Flying Tiger if you like Asian fusion food. Not big on clothes shopping in Vancouver (overpriced hugo boss ftl)

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hastings.... but be careful!!!

gq_jatt

Reaction score
Vij's for sure...

Check out stepho's (really good souvlaki) and Anton's (italian)

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gq_jatt
Check out stepho's (really good souvlaki) and Anton's (italian)

I'm sorry, but no. They are popular because they are cheap and give HUGE portions, not because of quality. Antons especially, that place is disgusting.

I'd recommend Cioppino's for good Italian.

ubc121

Reaction score
For tailors I would recommend Oakridge Tailors. They do some good work. Started going their last fall and have had some denim, chinos and a jacket done. All the jobs were clean and the thread matching was excellent.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Food: Too much to tell. Need a specific kind.
Tailors: ubc121 is on it. Oakridge for big stuff. Not terribly cheap, though.
Haircut: I always just went to Jack but I never really found a place I was super happy with.
Clothing: Roden Gray in gastown. Gravity Pope on 4th. Holt Renfrew in Pacific Centre (though it's not that great).

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Food: Too much to tell. Need a specific kind.
Tailors: ubc121 is on it. Oakridge for big stuff. Not terribly cheap, though.
Haircut: I always just went to Jack but I never really found a place I was super happy with.
Clothing: Roden Gray in gastown. Gravity Pope on 4th. Holt Renfrew in Pacific Centre (though it's not that great).

Great stuff. Thanks guys, I'll check them out this weekend. Loving this city so far!

Can you give me an approximation of pricing at Oakridge tailors?

And in regards to the haircut, what/who do you mean by Jack?

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up
Great stuff. Thanks guys, I'll check them out this weekend. Loving this city so far! Can you give me an approximation of pricing at Oakridge tailors? And in regards to the haircut, what/who do you mean by Jack?
jack is the name of a men's barber shop if you provide the types of food you're interested in we could give you a better list

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For SW&D there are several places in Gastown. Take a Saturday and walk around for a few hours. There's even a shop there for an outfit that makes their own boots (the name escapes me a the moment).

Ate at the place next door to Vij's. It's owned by the same dude and not sure but they might cook out of the same kitchen. Get there when the doors open or you'll be waiting in line. Great Indian food though. You can cruise the freezer section after your meal and take some home for later in the week.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Rangoli.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone love/hate the Teahouse in the Park?

Antons is great... if you have $20 and want 4 meals of better than chain pasta. It kept many a Simon Fraser student alive until exams were done.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
I'm sorry, but no. They are popular because they are cheap and give HUGE portions, not because of quality. Antons especially, that place is disgusting.

I'd recommend Cioppino's for good Italian.

Really? I haven't eaten at Stephos since I left Van in 1997 but it used to be excellent....and big portions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads