1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pix of most desired pair of shoes at the moment?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AJL, Dec 5, 2004.

1. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Merci beaucoup. I will work out a message with my wife (in French) and PM it to you so you can post it.

2. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

What kind of shoes are you interested in?

3. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

One risk though is that you may not get an honest response. It's like asking for opinions about Kabbaz, Beaman, Vass, etc. here. Members may be somewhat biased or feel some peer pressure. Whatever the actual quality of Marc Guyot's shoes, you are not very likely to read anything bad about them.

Mathieu

4. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Yes.  Anymore I feel I need to be a shoe construction expert before I even step in the door of a place.  Buy Guccis for $425 and you have to put up with a drab mud brown finish a logo on the heel, and questionable construction.  Nice for some, maybe.

6. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

I had noticed this one too. One problem is that what I like best in Aubercy's shoes is the eyelet positioning.
    At least Marc Guyot cannot be accused of making shoes that look like any other.
    Corthay does not compromise either. I have never seen their shoes for real, I don't know if they are as long as they appear.
    Who makes these? Mathieu

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

The last one is Marc Guyot's Ghillie simple empeigne

Escarpin Ghillie à simple empeigne ornÃ[​IMG]e d'un mÃ[​IMG]daillon et d'un quartier arrière simulÃ[​IMG]. ce modèle ne comporte pas de languette.

Tailles : du 40 au 45
    Largeur : D
    Matière : Cuir
    Couleurs : Patine à la demande
    Prix : 520 €

8. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

There is another picture of this model on their web site. I must say I don't know how the shoe is actually made. "un quartier arrière simulÃ[​IMG]. ce modèle ne comporte pas de languette" puzzles me quite a bit.

9. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

The sites are very confusing, focusing on style, pictures, and using different terms to describe the shoes all the time.

10. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Are you a metal head? (heavy metal). What's with the cross bones?

11. redtree00

redtree00 Senior member

Love the look of these shoes. [​IMG] Ron always has interesting special order shoes, I am glad to see he is finally taking pictures of them.

12. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Looks like a typical Ron Rider shoe. l am tempted to buy from him but l worry about the quality. These days, l buy shoes that will last forever. The lowest [quality] l will go is Grenson masterpiece standards.

13. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

marc,

do you have any opinions of the French shoemakers?

John

14. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

According to this: SenÃ[​IMG] is too expensive. I looked at their website and what strikes me is that they make any kind of shoe, there is no consistency of style (you cannot look at a shoe and say this has to be SenÃ[​IMG]).

15. marc37

marc37 Senior member

NO... The only french shoes l have seen are Hermes'. French shoes are completely alien to me. My shoes are mainly English and italian.

16. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Does Hermes make the shoes? If not, who makes them?

17. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

(johnapril @ April 25 2005,07:15) marc, do you have any opinions of the French shoemakers? John
    NO... The only french  shoes l have seen are Hermes'. French shoes are completely alien to me. My shoes are mainly English and italian.
    Thanks for the response. I am trying to figure out a few things about them before a trip to France next month. If I learn anything, I'll post it up.

18. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I thought it was Lobb

19. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

johnapril,

I have been corresponding with Xavier Aubercy (a charming man, btw). If you have any technical questions, I can add them to my list.

Fabienne

20. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hermes' shoes are made under subcontract in Italy. All the Hermes (not Lobb Paris) shoes I've seen strike me as extremely overpriced and rather ugly in design.