• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pittsburgh

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing about these "little" cities in general.

People who grew up around them know the places really well, have friends/family...etc, and can have "fun" just hanging out at random spots that non-natives would be bored to death with.

Palladio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
shopping, food, things worth seeing and doing etc....
Serious answer: We don't have the level of stuff that a large city like NYC / Boston / Philly / etc. has. However, for men's clothing, try Larrimor's downtown (5th and Grant St), which carries Oxxford, HF, Canali, AE, Incotex, etc, and is having their semi-annual sale now. There's also a Saks nearby (not much to see), a Nordstrom's a bit north of the city, and a Brooks Bros. If you want Alden shoes, try Nettleton's Shoes in downtown. Downtown is actually fairly nice to walk around during the summer, during the daytime. Hit the open markets in the Strip District nearby if you're up on a Saturday. Drive across the river and go up the incline to Mt. Washington, which has a great view of the city. Good beer places include Penn Brewery (north of downtown by 1 mile), and Sharp Edge (~4 miles east). What do you like as far as restaurants--casual, formal? I enjoy the Church Brew Works (custom beers and steak in a converted old church), as an example.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Palladio
Serious answer: We don't have the level of stuff that a large city like NYC / Boston / Philly / etc. has. However, for men's clothing, try Larrimor's downtown (5th and Grant St), which carries Oxxford, HF, Canali, AE, Incotex, etc, and is having their semi-annual sale now. There's also a Saks nearby (not much to see), a Nordstrom's a bit north of the city, and a Brooks Bros. If you want Alden shoes, try Nettleton's Shoes in downtown. Downtown is actually fairly nice to walk around during the summer, during the daytime. Hit the open markets in the Strip District nearby if you're up on a Saturday.

Drive across the river and go up the incline to Mt. Washington, which has a great view of the city.

Good beer places include Penn Brewery (north of downtown by 1 mile), and Sharp Edge (~4 miles east). What do you like as far as restaurants--casual, formal? I enjoy the Church Brew Works (custom beers and steak in a converted old church), as an example.

IMO Larrimor's is the best store. LS Altman is decent, as is Joseph Orlando downtown, and Charles Spiegel out on Forbes (does a little streetwear). London Dock is across the street but didn't have that much I liked when I was last there. Plus a couple of trad stores- Heinz Healy and Kountz and Rider downtown. It's been awhile since I've been there so I'm not positive they're all still there.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Here's the thing about these "little" cities in general.

People who grew up around them know the places really well, have friends/family...etc, and can have "fun" just hanging out at random spots that non-natives would be bored to death with.

exactly, hence my list. Besides, you yinzers generally fail to appreciate what pgh has to offer. Pittsburghs DAHNTAHN is up there with one of the prettiest there is. Get up on the grandview overlook at night, its pretty amazing.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my most memorable moments of my stay in pitt was eating at the Monterery Bay Fish Grotto? on Mt. Washington, on 4th of July, and watching the fireworks in the distant .

I'll admit that Churchworks Brewery was al'right.

Primanti's is still overrated though.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Falk school.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy any pants there. One leg is always cut shorter than the other from walking on those hills all the time.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I lived in Pittsburgh (Squirrel Hill) for a summer in 1993 (so my info is rather dated).

I'll second the Carnegie Science Center, if you like that kind of stuff. When I was there, they had a WW2 submarine that you could tour. They also have an IMAX theater.

Never had a Primanti's, but of course I had to stop by the Original in Oakland for a hot dog. It is not in a good part of town and there were always cops hovering around. I understand the O may have closed but I'm not 100% sure.

Schenley Park is pretty nice if you like the outdoors. It's not a hardcore national park or anything, but it's decent for an urban park.

If you are there for the July 4 holiday, Point Park (downtown) is a cool place to watch the fireworks over the rivers.

One of George Romero's (?) zombie movies was filmed at Monroeville Mall and in certain buildings at Carnegie Mellon University. From what I recall the mall itself is nothing spectacular but you may want to go just for the notoriety aspect.

I have not been to PNC Park, as when I went to a Pirates game they were still playing in Three Rivers Stadium. I hear PNC Park is very nice.

Avoid Iron City beer, it sucks. The commercials in the early 1990s were pretty funny, but that's about it. I'll second Penn Brewery, except their Gold beer.

Hope this helps.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been, but there is the Andy Warhol museum.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
im going to be in pittsburgh for 4-5 days at the end of the month.

anything worth checking out while im there?

How bout a bank so you can pay me the money you stole from me over the last 6 months

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thread just got interesting.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only good men's store I know of is Moda, and even that place sucks.

Pittsburgh sucks. I went to college there for four years and thought about jumping off the Cathedral of Learning every day.

Kevin

Reaction score
Last year Esquire ran an article about how Pittsburgh makes a great weekend getaway for art lovers IIRC.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pittsburgh is great. I have nothing but fond memories of the O, Baskin Robbins, and Three Rivers Stadium. I was also 3-10 or so, so I'm sure everything is much smaller now. I remember Schenley Park, the Cathedral of Learning, Monroeville Mall (daycare FTW). I lived on a street called Bayard, in what I believe is in Squirrel Hill. I remember hearing it once called it Kikes Peak. There is a book called Memories of Pittsburgh that IIRC is pretty gay.

I guess I remember exactly a paragraph of PGH.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
There is a book called Memories of Pittsburgh that IIRC is pretty gay.

I guess I remember exactly a paragraph of PGH.

Well the book is gay in the sense that it features gay people and a teenager confused about his sexuality, but it is also a really great novel so it would be sad to just label it a gay book and overlook its quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads