• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PITTI UOMO 87: THE SPREZZENING

FatCatPhil

Reaction score
It's too big to see all of it in a full week of blasting through booths at full blast. You really need to pick and choose your spots.

Re. drinks - all I can say is that at the Styleforum Trunk Show, people put away 12 bottle of Scotch.

Your seductive beguiling leaves me no choice then, I will pay you a visit.

Also you ;-)
And you too @gdl203 , I like NMWA.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really?! I'd have thought brands would see the value to keeping someone like you close.
I/We get invited to some events - they are typically attended by #menswear dudes. None of those hot Swedish bloggers though, unless you are thinking of @Leaves .

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any burning Pitti questions? We can do some fact-finding for you. 

With the significant drop in the value of the British Pound and Euro (stronger US dollar) , will we see lower prices at retail here in the US in the Spring?

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is this thing too big to see it all in 2 days?

I visit just a couple of the halls and always miss out things. You have to be incredibly organised to get everything done in the time it's open. Especially if you have appointments outside of the Pitti fair.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the significant drop in the value of the British Pound and Euro (stronger US dollar) , will we see lower prices at retail here in the US in the Spring?
I can answer that for you. Probably not, at least based on the prices of Japanese goods throughout the last year or so. Retail prices in the US have remained constant despite the declining Yen, and it seems highly unlikely that the retailers were all locked into a high rate of exchange. The European market is accessible by American consumers, but brands are quietly plugging up the arbitrage that have been a bane in the sides of US retailers for years. For example, some designers, like Dries van Noten, have simply prohibited retailers from even showing their wares to North American consumers. Similarly, brands like Alden are restricting North American retailers from shipping to Europe at the lower, North American, prices. There doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to lowering US retail prices when so much work has gone into rehabilitating US consumers to higher prices, after the debacle of 2008 and 2009, and where the US (along with China) is the growth markets for many brands, especially in the face of a poor European economy.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really?! I'd have thought brands would see the value to keeping someone like you close.

All the cool kids are doing it in Normandy.

Is this thing too big to see it all in 2 days?

Suppose I come across a handful of amicable fellows and decide to offer a round, will there be a sudden inflation in the price of scotch bottles in their late teenagehood at local bars that will cost me a tenth of my bank account, or should I go straight to beer?

1) There's really no reason to "see" everything. If you're into the CM stuff, you can wander around the central pavilion where all of it is located (and maybe duck into the hall with Camoshita and Heschung), walk past all the big booths and see if you can snag some snack material, stop at whatever catches your eye, and spend most of your time drinking coffee and watching the seen in the courtyard. If I were going to do tourist-style, that's what I'd do.

2) It depends. If you meet @Leaves it won't matter in the slightest, because he'll be good for 2-4 bottles of scotch on his own.

FatCatPhil

Reaction score
I/We get invited to some events - they are typically attended by #menswear dudes. None of those hot Swedish bloggers though, unless you are thinking of @Leaves .

Coming from the video games industry where events are basically open bar sausage fests I have to admit I had a more glamourous fantasy of what fashion industry parties must look like. And thus on the fifth page of the pitti uomo thread lie the sorry splinters of my shattered dreams.
1) There's really no reason to "see" everything. If you're into the CM stuff, you can wander around the central pavilion where all of it is located

I'm not so good with acronyms either. Collared Mainstream?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming from the video games industry where events are basically open bar sausage fests I have to admit I had a more glamourous fantasy of what fashion industry parties must look like. And thus on the fifth page of the pitti uomo thread lie the sorry splinters of my shattered dreams.

Knowing a fair number of people in video games, I can safely say that Pitti Uomo is definitely much better dressed and people generally less socially awkward. It's the drama club people instead of the computer programming club. There are definitely more women, though they tend to be primarily reps and models, with a smattering of buyers.

Last edited:

nineohtoo

Reaction score
Incidentally, @Synthese irl looks a little like a Hood by Air guy.

lol. When I hung out with him I mentioned how I only see Asian kids wearing HBA, he replied saying that he hadn't seen it in person. Don't know if fok was joking, but now that it's been said, I can imagine Synth as a Tres Bien model decked out in HBA :hide:

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

1) There's really no reason to "see" everything. If you're into the CM stuff, you can wander around the central pavilion where all of it is located (and maybe duck into the hall with Camoshita and Heschung), walk past all the big booths and see if you can snag some snack material, stop at whatever catches your eye, and spend most of your time drinking coffee and watching the seen in the courtyard. If I were going to do tourist-style, that's what I'd do.

2) It depends. If you meet @Leaves
 it won't matter in the slightest, because he'll be good for 2-4 bottles of scotch on his own.

Did someone say scotch and sausage fest? My two favorite words. @Synthese, I promise not xxx any xxx this time as long as you xxx Greg and xxx in the street while xxx dealer and a xxx stripper to xxx accompany @unbelragazzo to xxx in that taxi.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

More likely increased margins for US retailers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads