• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pitti Uomo 85: the CM thread

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Arrived today in balmy Florence. Here's the view from my hotel room:

Tomorrow the fun begins.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Since you're in Florence, you might want to take a look at one of the rarest and most important books on tailoring by Domenico Caraceni. Caraceni of course is considered the father of Italian tailoring, and the book is his master treatise. It's extremely hard to find. The only copy I could locate in the Italian library network is in the National Central Library in Florence: http://tinyurl.com/k446psp

The title is Orientamenti Nuovi Nella Tecnica e Nell'arte del Sarto (1933). Here's JefferyD on it: http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52 Thought you might be interested given your menswear book thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309344/definitive-books-on-menswear-thread

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

AnnieHart

Reaction score
Since you're in Florence, you might want to take a look at one of the rarest and most important books on tailoring by Domenico Caraceni. nike air jordans Caraceni of course is considered the father of Italian tailoring, and the book is his master treatise. It's extremely hard to find. The only copy I could locate in the Italian library network is in the National Central Library in Florence: http://tinyurl.com/k446psp

The title is Orientamenti Nuovi Nella Tecnica e Nell'arte del Sarto (1933). Here's JefferyD on it: http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52 Thought you might be interested given your menswear book thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309344/definitive-books-on-menswear-thread

I visit Florence probably once every year for business. This is ******* awesome, I'm going to check out some of those books when I go there again. Thank you!

Last edited:

Xancatrius

Reaction score
The SW&D page has six pages and growing as we speak. I am disappoint at the lack of CM enthusiasts.

Oh, if Nick Wooster were to just wrinkle his mustache in my direction....

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yesterday: Woke up in time to see the sun rise over Brunelleschi's dome. Amateur tip: Pick a hotel to the west of the duomo, so you can see the sun rise over it.

I spent the first part of the day just walking around the main pavilion getting an idea of who's there and what people are doing. Talked to a few people and then met @Synthesefor lunch, which is among the secret pleasures of Pitti. The press buffet is fantastic. Italians generally take a serious attitude towards food, even when providing something terrible would be expected and tolerated. They've got a few different fresh cheeses, a few meat dishes, papa al pomodoro, and a gelato bar for desert. Plus bottles of wine sitting ready at every table.

Highlight of the afternoon was the half-hour I spent poring over a decent-looking overcoat from a brand I had never heard of with the unbelievably gorgeous model they had hired to represent them. But I also spent a while taking photos of every inch of the closet-sized Inis Meain booth. Just when you think they've exhausted every way to knit a sweater, they show you something new.

In the evening Synth and I hosted the Styleforum dinner. It was my first time meeting Kirby Allison, Shaya from Exquisite Trimmings, and the Skoaktiebolaget crew. I think I was just one more whiskey away from being able to pronounce their store's name. The Armoury fellas stopped by to say hello as well. But my main project was getting reacquainted with bistecca fiorentina:

We finished off the night at a pub next to the restaurant, which fortunately was just around the corner from my hotel. Capped off the night looking out onto the Duomo again from my balcony, trying to take a decent picture of this testament to human ingenuity, and failing in a testament to my own frailty and intoxication:

I have no idea what time I ended up in bed last night, but still managed to get up this morning in time to see that the sun was doing its thing again:

tl;dr: Yesterday: killed it. Plan for today: going back, making sure it's dead, but probably killing it some more just to be safe.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Curious, what other booths are you planning to hit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads