1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pitti Uomo 85: the CM thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Surely they can't out do Spoo.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You'd be surprised.

3 people like this.
  4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Unbel, great blog piece today on the myths of Pitti.

Looking forward to your photos.

4 people like this.
  5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Will follow thread with interest. Have fun!!

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Alright, who's the person that writes for Complex?

First three slides in your threads are ideas borrowed from Styleforum threads. #3 is a dead giveaway (MrDaniels recent thread)

http://www.styleforum.net/t/210859/triple-monks/0_50
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/216664/the-don-cherry-threak/0_50
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/375039/staying-warm-in-business-wear-when-it-is-deadly-cold-outside/0_50

7. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Dear CM compatriots,

If you'd like, please feel free to read about the Streetwear and Denim coverage of Pitti Uomo as well, live and uncensored. @unbelragazzo and I have already shared interest in a couple of brands so far, including La Portegna and Inis Meain. I'd love it if you stopped by and checked out what we're featuring - you might see something you enjoy!

http://www.styleforum.net/t/375471/...hrough-the-seedy-underbelly-of-menswear/0_100

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I'd like to point out that I was a victim of Myth #1. My eyes were misty, dreaming of palaces and faraway lands. Disney was a lie.

9. jpc9

jpc9 Senior member

Me too. I was there in October, went to Pitti palace and thought, "where's the wall?" I actually looked for it.

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Monitoring this and Synth's thread closely.

11. brp2

brp2 Senior member

12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pwnd

13. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

Please take a look at Seraphin. I just browsed their recent collections online, and some of the pieces actually look wearable...maybe. Interesting for sure.

1 person likes this.
  14. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Saw many SF affiliates earlier this morning but couldn't stop to say hi as I was pressed for time and had to haul ass to Como :fu:, but I'm back in Firenze now, so looking forward to meeting everyone!

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

How much is airfare to Firenze this time of year from LGA? Good deals?

16. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

Biggest sprezzy trend I've noticed through pictures seems to be dudes wearing their overcoats only on their shoulders leaving the arms dangling, lifelessly.

What's up with that?

17. unbelragazzo

I walk around from booth to booth all day. I carry all my crap in a bag. When I get to an interesting booth, I get some of that crap out to take notes, pictures, business cards, fingerprints, whatever. I'm also a person who loses things. Somehow this hasn't taught me to be more organized or careful, but it has taught me to worry constantly that I've lost something. My interior monologue for most of the day runs like this: "Oh shit camera gotta check camera....camera camera camera...yes! That would suck to lose...ok let's go outside....put on sunglasses...where..are...well it looks like I've gone and lost them...again...third pair of these exact same sungl...oh wait, yeah, jacket pocket. Why does this person need to see my press badge? More importantly...why isn't it in my breast pocket where it's supposed to be...why don't I just wear it around my neck like a sensible human being...why do I have to be so unbelievably stupid about every friggin...oh wait yea it's around my neck, under my scarf."

But you always end up losing the things you least expect and most value. And today I finally lost something crucial: my voice. Maybe it was from waking up in the middle of the last night screaming after having a nightmare about being forced to watch Patrik make bittersweet love to Angela Merkel. In any case, I had to leave a nice event hosted by A and H to get back to my hotel and rest up in the hopes that tomorrow I won't have to resort to writing down my interview questions and shoving them in my subject's face.

I still got plenty of talking in today though. My favorite were probably the guys at Jamieson's of Shetland talking Fair Isle sweaters. These guys live on a tiny, barely inhabited island in the middle of nowhere - actually closer to Norway than Scotland - and still manage an entire knitting industry, all the way from the sheep herding to the knitting. I don't know how they feel about taking a multi-legged journey to come show their sweaters at Pitti, but I enjoyed hearing their story.

I also spotted a guy that I would like to nominate for the show's "most punchable" award - he had one corner of the back flap of his double vented jacket lifted up and sewn onto the jacket itself, to reveal his initials sewn into the jacket's lining. Also revealed: half an asscheek, and his complete lack of shame.

Before leaving the show, Jasper and I set up a couple of photos that should be uploading sometime soon, which I think may change Pitti's whole perspective on shit. On my way to dinner I stopped off to have a drink with Gianni Cerutti of Passaggio Cravatte, who is a very cool cat despite being dressed in the colors of a hot dog:

[​IMG]

On the walk back to my hotel, I did take a moment to appreciate the night view of the Palazzo Vecchio, the seat of the Florentine government during the Renaissance:

[​IMG]

Inside are frescos depicting Florentine heroes of the past, many of whom seem to dressed quite punchably:

[​IMG]

If I can just get the image of Patrik getting Merkeled out of my head, then I think tomorrow I can wake up ready to visit Alden, Seraphin, and the top floor of the main pavilion, which I haven't even visited yet.

7 people like this.
  18. unbelragazzo

That's a pretty common Italian thing.

19. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your pics remind me of how beautiful Florence is at night, especially in winter. Hope you feel better soon.

20. John Doe

John Doe Senior member