• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pitti 83: Florentino FW13

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Florentino
Etro meets Junya at a Hugo Boss Pricepoint: What's not to like?

If you start with a budget of $25,000, it’s fairly easy to look great. You go to the store or tailor of your choice, tell him what you want, and trust that he will provide you with the best of whatever is on offer. A man wearing a Caraceni suit with Scafora shoes, H&K shirt, and all the rest should hardly be surprised when he receives compliments.

If you have only $1500, however, the dynamic changes. Either one splurges on a single key piece and scrimps on the rest, or gets a very nice accessory to offset something basic, or one falls into the “Filene’s Syndrome” and buys a $4000 jacket 90% off that didn’t sell from the regular season. As such, finding a mid-priced, well-done collection is quite difficult and requires a lot of creativity and a lot of time.

Whether because of changing dynamics, an awareness of a needed niche in the market, or simply because of trends in the industry, Pitti83 featured several collections that were both unique and interesting while not breaking the bank. One of my favorites was the Spanish brand Florentino.

What I like: the collection has a relaxed, slightly worn/washed feel, with nice use of textures and colors in the fabrics. Designs and cuts are fairly slim, but not extreme, and classic without being too seasonal or trendy. For the pricepoint, the quality seems good, with attention paid to use of decent fabrics, linings, and hardware. In terms of styling, it blends quirky details of Japanese designers (Junya, for example) with European silhouettes; Etro and the original Moschino Uomo collections came to mind with their use of plaids, colors, and linings or details in surprising colors. But, unlike these designers, the designs remain “safe” enough to be wearable without looking like gimmicks.

What I don’t: One of the problems with a mid-priced or affordable line trying to use and create interesting styles in wool, plaids, and cottons is how they will age over time. A rough, soft wool weave may look great on the shelf, but buyers of original Jil Sander sweaters who then picked up the +J line can feel, see, and wear the difference in price and fabric quality after a year or two of use and regular cleaning. As such, I wonder how the sweaters and jackets will hold up over time. Another issue with the brand is distribution; it’s a fairly small collection and as yet I’m not sure how many stockists outside of Spain/central Italy it will have.

Overall impression: Until very recently, the mid-range market was fairly bleak. You had Hugo Boss, you had the designer diffusions (Emporio or Armani Collezioni, D&G, Ferre), you had small brands that were hard to find or required proxies to purchase, and you had sales. Now, luckily, we have more options for affordable, unique collections. Given the focus on details, the classic and timeless quality of the designs, and the interesting use of colors and textures, Florentino would definitely be worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

thegreatgatsby

Reaction score
Where can I purchase these clothes?

I have emailed the company through their website, but, there has been no response.

And Yoox.com only sells (largely) Italian based designers direct from their Italian warehouses.

Any suggestions would be helpful --- love these clothes.

(And I'm curious to know where they're made - if that's not clear in your posting --- and how well)

Thanks

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Where can I purchase these clothes?

I have emailed the company through their website, but, there has been no response.

And Yoox.com only sells (largely) Italian based designers direct from their Italian warehouses.

Any suggestions would be helpful --- love these clothes.

(And I'm curious to know where they're made - if that's not clear in your posting --- and how well)

Thanks

Unfortunately I don't have a stockist list, at least not yet (probably closer to FW13 being in stores such a list will get distributed)

Made in Spain.

The brand itself is Spanish, but I'm not 100% sure that everything is made there. In any case, for the price, I found it good quality and well designed.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads