• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pit Stains

gotlighters

Reaction score
Yes I know, gross, but I get them on my under shirts. However, I shower everyday and put on deodorant. I was told it was the deodorant that was causing it (I use one from adidas). If that is the case, is there one you guys would recommend?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Use one without antiperspirants

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or use CertainDri every night and you won't perspire under your arms at al

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
Use one without antiperspirants
^ This. Plus you won't end up with Alzheimers...

Oldboy

Reaction score
You need to use deodorant that is aluminum-free. I use Tom's of Maine, it works great and isn't too expensive.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oldboy
You need to use deodorant that is aluminum-free. I use Tom's of Maine, it works great and isn't too expensive.
Just got the Tom's unscented yesterday. It's my favorite deodorant so far. ******EDIT: got a bit of a rash from it. Apparently this has happened to other on the internet as well.

stevester1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Just got the Tom's unscented yesterday. It's my favorite deodorant so far.

I thought deodorant was just a substance that you put on your pits to mask smell, whereas antiperspirant blocks pores? How can deodorant be unscented?

mtmindc

Reaction score
Use aluminum free deodorant. Arm & Hammer naturals is my preferred brand, though I'll vouch for Herbal Clear and Trader Joe's store brand.

Also, if you want to save a shirt, soak it in water + a high concentration of OxiClean for a few hours (no more than 6 or else color could fade) - also handles any collar ring or other stains that don't actually affect the dye of the fabric.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevester1
I thought deodorant was just a substance that you put on your pits to mask smell, whereas antiperspirant blocks pores? How can deodorant be unscented?

http://www.amazon.com/TOMS-MAINE-Deo.../dp/B00016XAO6

It smells very faintly citrusy (like you're so close that it looks like you're trying to snort it). Proper deoderants don't just mask- they kill or inhibit bacterial growth. Otherwise you end up like that kid who thinks that Axe is a deodorant and not only smells like BO, but is also coated in that shit.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oldboy

Alas... I switched to something aluminum free and it hasn't stopped the dreaded yellow stain.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sweat a lot naturally from my underarms so I've used a strong anti-sweat roll-on called Maxim. Completely dry now unless exercising, and no more pit stains.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The aluminum in antiperspirant causes it, but eventually you'll get them no matter what you do.

Soak them in a bucket with Oxyclean (or whatever off brand alternative there is now) for a good day or two, then wash them in the cold cycle with more Oxyclean.

That did the trick for some used shirts I got off ebay that had horrible pit/collar stains.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevester1

Deodorant doesn't mask smells, it kills the bacteria that causes the smell. A fragrance is unnecessary.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shave your armpits + antiperspirant.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments