• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

koobalicious

Reaction score
is anyone planning on checking this out tonight? i heard there are midnight screenings to kick off the opening weekend. i actually just saw it in a sneak preview and it's every bit what you expect from Captain Jack Sparrow and more!! the action and fight sequences are ridiculous and the good old humor from the first movie is still there, but the best things are how awesome the villains look, Davy Jones and his crew. would love to hear what you think!!
tounge.gif

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do most people say "I went to the Kuh-RIB-ee-uhn", but they say "I just saw 'Pirates of the Ka-ruh-BE-uhn'"?

Also, everyone pronounces the name properly as 'Alfred no-BELL', but they say "he won the NO-BELL Prize"?

Just throwing that out there...
smile.gif

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Why do most people say "I went to the Kuh-RIB-ee-uhn", but they say "I just saw 'Pirates of the Ka-ruh-BE-uhn'"?

Also, everyone pronounces the name properly as 'Alfred no-BELL', but they say "he won the NO-BELL Prize"?

Just throwing that out there...
smile.gif

good point.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Kuh-RIB-ee-uhn is more phonetically faithful to the "correct" (non-anglocized) pronunciation, so people making the trip these days (and I assume natives of the islands) say it that way.

The movie is based on the Disney ride, and that has always been known as Pirates of the Ka-ruh-BEE-uhn, closer to how most Americans probably pronounced it in the 50s. See also New Or-LEENS.

The new movie seems to be getting very mixed reviews. The first one was fun. Is MacKenzie Crook (Gareth from the brit Office) in this one?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
good point.

I just noticed that one day when I overheard someone mention the no'BELL Prize, and I thought, "what the... no, she's absolutely RIGHT!"

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I believe Kuh-RIB-ee-uhn is more phonetically faithful to the "correct" (non-anglocized) pronunciation, so people making the trip these days (and I assume natives of the islands) say it that way.

The movie is based on the Disney ride, and that has always been known as Pirates of the Ka-ruh-BEE-uhn, closer to how most Americans probably pronounced it in the 50s. See also New Or-LEENS.

I guess that makes sense. I thought it was New Awlins. Nuh-vah-dah. Organ. Missoura. Joisey.
smile.gif

mnemonic

Reaction score
Drink Up Me Hardies Yo-ho!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
is it true that keith richards was supposed to play captain jack's dad? if it is, then it's certainly too bad. could've brought the level of the movie up a few notches.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
is it true that keith richards was supposed to play captain jack's dad? if it is, then it's certainly too bad. could've brought the level of the movie up a few notches.

Yes it is true.It is happening in the next movie.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear that there is a clip after the credits.

koobalicious

Reaction score
let's see...mackenzie crook is definitely in this movie - he gets more prominent exposure, which i thought was great. the whole keith richards thing was up in the air for a while but he's not in this one. i heard that he's going to be in the third Pirates of the Caribbean, however, which should be something to look forward to.

as for the clip, yes there is one post-credit and i'm talking after everyone and their mother's names scroll down.

anyway, i've never been on the disney ride on which the movie is based, but i can say that the action scenes are just about as close as you get to being on a roller coaster or amusement park ride. i know there are some mixed reviews out there but i think it's a good, fun summer movie and i just can't say enough about johnny depp...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYT ripped it a new one. I think the only value in these sorts of films are the wonderful pieces they inspire in the New Yorker and NYT.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
NYT ripped it a new one. I think the only value in these sorts of films are the wonderful pieces they inspire in the New Yorker and NYT.

I enjoyed the Times' somewhat jarring reference to Guns 'N' Roses. But the review, like one I read over at EW.com, strikes me as being of questionable value. The reviewer seems to object more to the busy nature of the modern summer blockbuster than the specifics of "Dead Man's Chest." Similarly, Lisa Schwarzbaum at EW hated the first one and, not surprisingly, hated the new one. Her review, in my mind, immediately becomes suspect, if for no other reason than our obviously differing tastes.

In the NY Times review, one of the primary complaints is the lack of a proper ending. But I can't imagine it's any worse than the first in the critically lauded "Lord of the Rings" series, which, if I recall correctly, ends abruptly with someone getting into a canoe.

I imagine PotC will deliver exactly what I (and most folks) expect. If it does, I'll be satisfied.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a summer blockbuster based on a frickin' amusement park ride -- can they find nothing more substantive to sink their malicious critical teeth into? What's next -- a hard-hitting piece exposing cotton candy as "nothing but sugary fluff"?
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think the only value in these sorts of films are the wonderful pieces they inspire in the New Yorker and NYT.
Did you read the NYer review of Return of the King? (A movie I liked, incidentally.) It was one of the great put-downs of all time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads