• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Why do most people say "I went to the Kuh-RIB-ee-uhn", but they say "I just saw 'Pirates of the Ka-ruh-BE-uhn'"?

Also, everyone pronounces the name properly as 'Alfred no-BELL', but they say "he won the NO-BELL Prize"?

Just throwing that out there...
smile.gif

I'm too lazy to look it up, but once I did, and my Websters Collegiate edition said it is pronounced Ka-ruh-BE-uhn.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked it, though I wish it had had an ending.

koobalicious

Reaction score
i went to see it again last night (ha) and was just as good second time around. some of those action sequence is just remarkable and the villains look sooo very creepy. it's amazing how the film broke all kinds of records in its opening weekend - even the fictional record that Aquaman set on Entourage haha.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I didn't see it yet. I may get to it later on in the week.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I didn't see it yet. I may get to it later on in the week.
You'll like all the cannon parts.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
You'll like all the cannon parts.
Is that a subtly veiled reference to some sort of percieved obsession you think that I have with phallic objects?
wink.gif
Say that three times fast!

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw it last night.. and for a refresher, I watched the first one on Sunday. Without a doubt, the second was less funny, more linear, and less surprising. The first really targeted a smarter audience. The second felt dumbed down. Also, I don't know what it is, but Keira Knightley seemed really stale.. or static. I can't find the word, but essentially, she did a much better job and played a much more believeable character in the first. Her motivation was contrived. Well, the whole movie was contrived. Anyway, enough ranting. I'll see the third, and hope for the best.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I did see it and I did indeed enjoy it, but to be honest, the cannon parts were underwhelming after Steve's glowing assertion that I would enjoy them immensely. Cannons are out... greek fire is in this year! I was however, very fond of the visual FX involved with Davy Jones and his minions. Awesome! I was less fond of the occasional heavy handed references to the first movie... like Jack's ham handedly questioning why there was never any rum. Ok we get it, you like rum. It was funny in the first POTC, but you are not required to try and dig for laughs in the same exact spot as the first film. Smacks of formulaic scripting to me... luckily it only happens one or three times, other wise... the movie is light and fluffy and suprisingly fast for a 2 and a half hour movie. Light on story as it may be, its heavy on the Hans Zimmer... which is good because I am a big fan. I even liked the Buggles. J always confuses him with Jan Hammer and it throws me off, because to be honest, I don't really see why, except for the European name and somewhat similar phonetic structure. Jan Hammer is a electro jazz fusion guy, and Hans Zimmer is a new wave - orchestral pop guy. Its a totally different vibe man. Totally different. Anyways... I thought it was funny, but more slap-stick comedy than the dry humor of the original, which is both refreshing, and disappointing at the same time. I have to admit, the very first cannibal made me jump about two feet out of my chair. Some of the stuntwork is insanely complicated and exciting, and the sword play is top notch. I thought Keira Knightley was hotter when she dressed up as a boy to disguise herself. Does that make me gay? Orlando Bloom didn't shoot a bow and arrow. And Johnny Depp was still Captain Jack (which is the entire reason to go see this in the first place) Overall: I give it a B- (the original got a B+)

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
the cannon parts were underwhelming after Steve's glowing assertion
You didn't like the shots of cannon balls shooting through the stern deck?

Bloody tentacles?

Trigun cannons?

Name me a naval film with more and better cannon parts.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how pathetic that a thread about pirates of the caribbeann, on a forum inhabited by grown men, has 3 pages so far...
devil.gif
john is right. cinema is dead.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
how pathetic that a thread about pirates of the caribbeann, on a forum inhabited by grown men, has 3 pages so far...
devil.gif

john is right. cinema is dead.

Grown men are not allowed to enjoy harmless summer popcorn flicks? Who the hell are they made for then?

Yesterday's smug award went to Brian... today's is all yours buddy...

smug.jpg

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Grown men are not allowed to enjoy harmless summer popcorn flicks? Who the hell are they made for then?

Yesterday's smug award went to Brian... today's is all yours buddy...

smug.jpg

it's a childrens' movie. i accept the smug award and wish to thank all the little people who made it possible.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought the movie was good until the last five minutes. I'm not entirely sure what went through the screenwriter's mind when he came up with that clusterfuck but it went from about a B to a C- in those five minutes.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
it's a childrens' movie.

I disagree, and so does the MPAA. (which might be the first time we've agreed on anything, ever)

What in your mind makes this a children's movie?The championing of alcoholism as a charming virtue? The cannibals? The CG beheadings, dismemberings, and otherwise?

carlhuber

Reaction score
Ugh, what an awful movie.

But tons of props for the many lingering closeups of Keira Knightley's face. Boo-hiss on the lack of her cleavage. Seriously.

But, come on, two and a half hours of emo monster garbage? What a waste of film.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads