1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by koobalicious, Jul 6, 2006.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

So did anybody see it yet? If you're still considering it, don't bother. It's a yawn, and about an hour too long.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I saw it Saturday and liked it well enough. Not quite as much as I liked the first one, but much better than the mindless Superman Returns.

Overall, I found it a bit slow in the beginning, but I thought it picked up steam as it went along. Loved the Davy Jones character, and the special effects are terrific. I thought it was worth the price of admission just to see Davy and his crew in action.

I'll reserve final judgment until I see the third one.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I'll be seeing it tomorrow/later on today.

4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I went to see that with my parents. I figured they knew what to expect, since I had read the books as a kid and was quite into them. Yet, when the screen went black and people started to stand up and leave, my mom looked at me incredulously. "Directed by Peter Jackson?" she shreiked. "What the hell kind of ending was that?" I had to explain, three books, three films. She had honestly expected that the whole saga would be wrapped up all in one. I told her in that case, it would be a 10 hour movie. She still felt cheated. But she saw the other two.

My wife had a similar reaction [​IMG] She hadn't read the books either.

5. Stax

Stax Senior member

I saw it last night. Wait for the DVD.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I saw it last night. Wait for the DVD.

While I understand the sentiment, I'd advise the opposite. It's meant to be spectacle, and I'd suggest seeing it on the big screen, if you're going to see it.

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Saw it with 6 yr old daughter.

Was confused about the ending. Will have to watch the first one again.

And it is quite campy in places, but I didn't feel it insulted anyone's intelligence.

Thought it was pretty good- we compromised and went to the matinee...

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

geebus, another after credit clip that I missed (X3 also)....so, can anyone describe what it was?

9. surf animal

surf animal Active Member

geebus, another after credit clip that I missed (X3 also)....so, can anyone describe what it was?

WARNING: SPOILER CONTAINED IN THIS POST. DONT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

It really wasn't anything special, I had heard that there was a post-credit clip, and didn't want to read what it was. So I waited after the credits, and the clip shows up. It's just a clip showing the jail guard-dog, in the village, with the natives worshipping the dog in the same fashion that they were worshipping johnny depp, getting ready to cook him up. End of film.

10. Stu

Stu Senior member

Why do most people say "I went to the Kuh-RIB-ee-uhn", but they say "I just saw 'Pirates of the Ka-ruh-BE-uhn'"?

Also, everyone pronounces the name properly as 'Alfred no-BELL', but they say "he won the NO-BELL Prize"?

Just throwing that out there... [​IMG]

I'm too lazy to look it up, but once I did, and my Websters Collegiate edition said it is pronounced Ka-ruh-BE-uhn.

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I liked it, though I wish it had had an ending.

12. koobalicious

koobalicious Well-Known Member

i went to see it again last night (ha) and was just as good second time around. some of those action sequence is just remarkable and the villains look sooo very creepy. it's amazing how the film broke all kinds of records in its opening weekend - even the fictional record that Aquaman set on Entourage haha.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I didn't see it yet. I may get to it later on in the week.

14. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

You'll like all the cannon parts.

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

You'll like all the cannon parts.
    Is that a subtly veiled reference to some sort of percieved obsession you think that I have with phallic objects? [​IMG] Say that three times fast!

16. briancl

briancl Senior member

I saw it last night.. and for a refresher, I watched the first one on Sunday. Without a doubt, the second was less funny, more linear, and less surprising. The first really targeted a smarter audience. The second felt dumbed down. Also, I don't know what it is, but Keira Knightley seemed really stale.. or static. I can't find the word, but essentially, she did a much better job and played a much more believeable character in the first. Her motivation was contrived. Well, the whole movie was contrived. Anyway, enough ranting. I'll see the third, and hope for the best.

17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I did see it and I did indeed enjoy it, but to be honest, the cannon parts were underwhelming after Steve's glowing assertion that I would enjoy them immensely. Cannons are out... greek fire is in this year! I was however, very fond of the visual FX involved with Davy Jones and his minions. Awesome! I was less fond of the occasional heavy handed references to the first movie... like Jack's ham handedly questioning why there was never any rum. Ok we get it, you like rum. It was funny in the first POTC, but you are not required to try and dig for laughs in the same exact spot as the first film. Smacks of formulaic scripting to me... luckily it only happens one or three times, other wise... the movie is light and fluffy and suprisingly fast for a 2 and a half hour movie. Light on story as it may be, its heavy on the Hans Zimmer... which is good because I am a big fan. I even liked the Buggles. J always confuses him with Jan Hammer and it throws me off, because to be honest, I don't really see why, except for the European name and somewhat similar phonetic structure. Jan Hammer is a electro jazz fusion guy, and Hans Zimmer is a new wave - orchestral pop guy. Its a totally different vibe man. Totally different. Anyways... I thought it was funny, but more slap-stick comedy than the dry humor of the original, which is both refreshing, and disappointing at the same time. I have to admit, the very first cannibal made me jump about two feet out of my chair. Some of the stuntwork is insanely complicated and exciting, and the sword play is top notch. I thought Keira Knightley was hotter when she dressed up as a boy to disguise herself. Does that make me gay? Orlando Bloom didn't shoot a bow and arrow. And Johnny Depp was still Captain Jack (which is the entire reason to go see this in the first place) Overall: I give it a B- (the original got a B+)

18. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

You didn't like the shots of cannon balls shooting through the stern deck?

Bloody tentacles?

Trigun cannons?

Name me a naval film with more and better cannon parts.

19. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

how pathetic that a thread about pirates of the caribbeann, on a forum inhabited by grown men, has 3 pages so far... [​IMG] john is right. cinema is dead.