Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by koobalicious, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

But I can't imagine it's any worse than the first in the critically lauded "Lord of the Rings" series, which, if I recall correctly, ends abruptly with someone getting into a canoe.
    I went to see that with my parents. I figured they knew what to expect, since I had read the books as a kid and was quite into them. Yet, when the screen went black and people started to stand up and leave, my mom looked at me incredulously. "Directed by Peter Jackson?" she shreiked. "What the hell kind of ending was that?" I had to explain, three books, three films. She had honestly expected that the whole saga would be wrapped up all in one. I told her in that case, it would be a 10 hour movie. She still felt cheated. But she saw the other two.

2. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

NYT ripped it a new one. I think the only value in these sorts of films are the wonderful pieces they inspire in the New Yorker and NYT.

There are a fair number of things that the New York Times covers that it has no business covering. Ahem.

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

There are a fair number of things that the New York Times covers that it has no business covering. Ahem.

Actually, among the many things they cover I find that their film coverage is among the most accurate.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I went to see that with my parents. I figured they knew what to expect, since I had read the books as a kid and was quite into them. Yet, when the screen went black and people started to stand up and leave, my mom looked at me incredulously. "Directed by Peter Jackson?" she shreiked. "What the hell kind of ending was that?" I had to explain, three books, three films. She had honestly expected that the whole saga would be wrapped up all in one. I told her in that case, it would be a 10 hour movie. She still felt cheated. But she saw the other two.

One more than I managed! The second was better than the first, I thought, but I never got around to the third.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Dorothy Parker would have something to say about today's New Yorker.

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

So did anybody see it yet? If you're still considering it, don't bother. It's a yawn, and about an hour too long.

7. DocHolliday

I saw it Saturday and liked it well enough. Not quite as much as I liked the first one, but much better than the mindless Superman Returns.

Overall, I found it a bit slow in the beginning, but I thought it picked up steam as it went along. Loved the Davy Jones character, and the special effects are terrific. I thought it was worth the price of admission just to see Davy and his crew in action.

I'll reserve final judgment until I see the third one.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I'll be seeing it tomorrow/later on today.

9. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

My wife had a similar reaction [​IMG] She hadn't read the books either.

10. Stax

Stax Senior member

I saw it last night. Wait for the DVD.

11. DocHolliday

I saw it last night. Wait for the DVD.

While I understand the sentiment, I'd advise the opposite. It's meant to be spectacle, and I'd suggest seeing it on the big screen, if you're going to see it.

12. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Saw it with 6 yr old daughter.

Was confused about the ending. Will have to watch the first one again.

And it is quite campy in places, but I didn't feel it insulted anyone's intelligence.

Thought it was pretty good- we compromised and went to the matinee...

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

geebus, another after credit clip that I missed (X3 also)....so, can anyone describe what it was?

15. surf animal

surf animal Active Member

geebus, another after credit clip that I missed (X3 also)....so, can anyone describe what it was?

WARNING: SPOILER CONTAINED IN THIS POST. DONT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

It really wasn't anything special, I had heard that there was a post-credit clip, and didn't want to read what it was. So I waited after the credits, and the clip shows up. It's just a clip showing the jail guard-dog, in the village, with the natives worshipping the dog in the same fashion that they were worshipping johnny depp, getting ready to cook him up. End of film.