• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pinstriped Suits for Short Guys Like Me

cdalleninc

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm 5'7", 140lbs (slender build) and I read that wearing a suit with horizontal stripes will give the illusion of looking taller. So - what are some brands that make good pinstriped suits (for that attorney look). These will be my next set of suits.

Also, would solid ties be appropriate with a pinstripe suit (the Donald Trump look)?

BlackSwan

Reaction score
I've wondered about this idea of visual illusions of height created by clothing. A fellow at work who is, I guess, 5'5" or shorter, has a habit of wearing pants that have about a negative 1" break. I would guess he subconsciously chooses to wear such a length because on some level he thinks it makes him look taller (He's so tall he can't find pants long enough!). Alas, all it really makes one think is that he's a marsupial. And short.

Personally, I would suggest posture and presence will go much further. Posture and presence, especially presence, are aided by clothes that fit well.

Besides, I'm 5'8", you and me exist in time and space in bodies that are neither short nor tall, We are the standard of measure for all the short and tall freaks of nature around us, but you should bulk up 20 pounds.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont believe in any of this optical illusion stuff. With the pervasiveness of such guides as GQ and fashion websites, everyone and their momma is gonna look at you and think "you are trying to look taller, right?"

I remember my college prof who had a huge gut. Every day and I mean every day he wore a striped shirt. Im sure he read somewhere that "stripes are slimming"..
plain.gif

better to wear what looks good and wear it well.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I assume you mean vertical stripes, rather than horizontal. Don't see many horizontally striped suits out there ...

Most any brand of suit, good and not-so-good, will offer pinstripes/pencil stripes/chalkstripes. So the stripe is secondary in finding the right one for you. Do you have a brand/style preference already?

Solid ties are perfectly appropriate for a pinstripe, though you don't need to feel they're your only option. You could go with a solid, a pattern, or a stripe of varying width to the stripe in your suit.

untilted

Reaction score
To the OP, a better technique to look tall is to wear shoes with thick heels.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good fit and proportion will go further than merely stripes.

cdalleninc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I assume you mean vertical stripes, rather than horizontal. Don't see many horizontally striped suits out there ...

Oh yeah, my mistake. Yes, vertical stripes.

Most any brand of suit, good and not-so-good, will offer pinstripes/pencil stripes/chalkstripes.

Yes, I like chalkstripes!

So the stripe is secondary in finding the right one for you. Do you have a brand/style preference already?

Sure don't - that's why I've asked here. However, I do like Armani and how his suits "carry" themselves - know what I mean? But with a chalkstriped pinstriped suit, fabric that behaves that way probably isn't a good match.

Solid ties are perfectly appropriate for a pinstripe, though you don't need to feel they're your only option. You could go with a solid, a pattern, or a stripe of varying width to the stripe in your suit.

Yeah, red (power red), gold, silver, etc...

cdalleninc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackSwan

Personally, I would suggest posture and presence will go much further. Posture and presence, especially presence, are aided by clothes that fit well.

Oh, I definitely have presence. I am clean cut, stand tall, speak clearly and intelligently, have a firm handshake, and a deep melodious voice - despite my size...lol.

Originally Posted by BlackSwan
but you should bulk up 20 pounds.

You think so? I've been thinking about it, I guess this is a confirmation that I need to add some weight.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdalleninc
Sure don't - that's why I've asked here. However, I do like Armani and how his suits "carry" themselves - know what I mean? But with a chalkstriped pinstriped suit, fabric that behaves that way probably isn't a good match.

In this case, I'd suggest you read up here on what makes a good suit, and on the various makers. Armani doesn't get much love, but you can read why and make up your own mind. After that, it's a matter of trying on suits to see which brands best accomodate your build, budget and taste.

If you can provide us with a price range and general style preferences, folks might be able to offer some brand suggestions to get you started.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 5'7 too and the key is to wear clothing that fits you proportionately. I have a very nice suit that is slim fitting vertical pinstripes and as a date once told me, I looked "mafia" (it was a compliment).

cdalleninc

Reaction score
If you can provide us with a price range and general style preferences, folks might be able to offer some brand suggestions to get you started.

Oh, sure - $800-1200. Business suit, nothing overly ostentatious, but still has presence. I also like a suit that "flows" and "drapes" well - if you know what I mean. As for me, I like single breasted suit - but no more than 3 buttons. No cuffs (because of my size). Flat front pants (dear God, no pleats).

^Is that what you mean?

cdalleninc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I'm 5'7 too and the key is to wear clothing that fits you proportionately. I have a very nice suit that is slim fitting vertical pinstripes and as a date once told me, I looked "mafia" (it was a compliment).

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Well tailord suit to complement my "slim" frame.

And here's something else about me - I like to look like "money". Even though I'm only 22, I like good complementing cufflinks and an appropriate amount of jewelry without looking "ghetto". (lol)

I'm a guy that would wear a nice chalk-pinstriped business suit driving a Mercedes S-class - that's my personality.
smile.gif

BlackSwan

Reaction score
You think so? I've been thinking about it, I guess this is a confirmation that I need to add some weight.[/quote]

Maybe, it depends on the chicks.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdalleninc
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Well tailord suit to complement my "slim" frame.

And here's something else about me - I like to look like "money". Even though I'm only 22, I like good complementing cufflinks and an appropriate amount of jewelry without looking "ghetto". (lol)

I'm a guy that would wear a nice chalk-pinstriped business suit driving a Mercedes S-class - that's my personality.
smile.gif

A 22yo short and skinny guy in a Mafia power suit and french cuffs driving a S-Class Mercedes
plain.gif

IMHO it just would look like you are trying too hard, but if this what you want go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads