1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pinstriped Odd Jackets

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Augusto86, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Is there such a thing as a pinstriped odd jacket? Or is this necessarily an orphaned suit jacket?

I recently picked up a very subtly white/burgundy striped charcoal blazer from Aquascutum, in a fairly normal wool fabric. I think it looks decent over jeans or slacks, but I keep wondering if I'm wearing a suit jacket without its pants, which makes me feel dirty. Any way of knowing?

2. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

No absolutely sure way of knowing. Sportcoats sometimes have leather football buttons, elbow patches, patch pockets, that little loophole on the lapel*, etc. Of course, there are suits that have these features too. Personally I just stay away from striped odd jackets. Even if they're clearly meant to be sportcoats, there's something about them matched with other trousers that looks off. *There was a specific name for this which was said here before. Can someone remind me, please?

3. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Ten years ago, it was Not Done.

Five years ago, it was edgy.

Now it's fairly standard to wear a striped jacket as an odd jacket. For instance, check out cashmere king Brunello Cucinelli in the ad for his firm in the latest Men's Vogue. A light gray pinstriped jacket and kakhis. He looks great.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

No absolutely sure way of knowing. Sportcoats sometimes have leather football buttons, elbow patches, patch pockets, that little loophole on the lapel*, etc. Of course, there are suits that have these features too.

Personally I just stay away from striped odd jackets. Even if they're clearly meant to be sportcoats, there's something about them matched with other trousers that looks off.

*There was a specific name for this which was said here before. Can someone remind me, please?

Throat latch?

5. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Yes, that's it. Thanks chorse.

6. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Now it's fairly standard to wear a striped jacket as an odd jacket.
    Do you mean to say that it's standard for a striped coat to be designed and sold as an odd jacket, without any matching trousers? Or just that it's common for guys to wear their suit coats this way?

7. EL72

EL72 Senior member

If it's Aquascutum, then it's surely an orphaned suit coat. The only striped odd jackets you will find are from mall stores like BR, Express... selling suit separates and from some designer lines like Boss and even Armani. That said, you can wear it with jeans if that's your thing and look fine. Wearing it with odd trousers is verboten in my book.

8. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Thanks guys. You're probably right about it being an orphaned suit. Pity - I would LOVE to have the pants to go with it.

Well, I'll wear it with jeans and not slacks on one of the worst-dressed campuses(campi?) in the world and I'll just get compliments.[​IMG]

9. DNW

DNW Senior member

Is there such a thing as a pinstriped odd jacket? Or is this necessarily an orphaned suit jacket?
    RLPL apparently thinks it's perfectly acceptable. Personally, I would wear it as well. [​IMG]

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

RLPL apparently thinks it's perfectly acceptable. Personally, I would wear it as well.

[​IMG]

Personally, I think that outfit makes that guy looks like a Sunday Driver.

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Ten years ago, it was Not Done.

Five years ago, it was edgy.

Now it's fairly standard to wear a striped jacket as an odd jacket. For instance, check out cashmere king Brunello Cucinelli in the ad for his firm in the latest Men's Vogue. A light gray pinstriped jacket and kakhis. He looks great.

If you're thinking of the same Cucinelli jackets I've seen in stores then it has suede elbow patches which makes it nothing other than a casual jacket. However, if it didn't have the patches, I would think it an orphaned suit jacket. I recently went through this myself for a bespoke purchase. I loved a brownish bronze striped flannel but alone as a jacket it wouldn't have been right.

12. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Here is a link to a $1299 Ebay sale of a Kiton suit coat as a separate. The seller eddidvddr10 is a Forum member and sells on Ebay as shopwize.

You've got to give him some entrepreneurial credit. Apparently he buys stuff at deep discount ar Barney's Warehouse sales and other sites, and then resellls them on Ebay for high prices. This Kiton pin-striped coat is a perfect example. Check out his other inventory.

Here's the link to the past thread about his sales:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...t=barneys+sale

Here's the link to the Kiton pin-striped suit coat for $1299:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200021704326

BTW: The pinstiped coat with jeans look is not for me. Neither is any orphaned suit coat with different dress pants for me. But I've seen a lot of younger people with that look. Perhaps it's an age thing. It seems a lot more common for people in their 20's!

13. royal618

royal618 Senior member

White collar and yellow cuffs??? Zowee.

14. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

White collar and yellow cuffs???

Not necessarily incorrect, though it might not look right to your (and my) eyes here. I think this look can work with detachable collars and a non-canary yellow shirt.

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Perhaps if you posted a picture of your outfit with the jacket if would be easier to tell if it "looks" to much like a suit jacket.

16. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I`ve never seen the ad, but I think light grey is the keyword here. If one was to wear a pinstripe suit jacket as a sports jacket, then light grey would be the color to try. Also, I imagine that the jacket was probably made of a flanel or something similar in taste...not just a regular wool, suit jacket.

Charcoal pinstripe suit jacket would look horrible as a sports jacket. As mentioned earlier, the pockets make a big difference too.

17. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Perhaps if you posted a picture of your outfit with the jacket if would be easier to tell if it "looks" to much like a suit jacket.
    This is more or less the kind of context I would wear it in. Sorry about the picture quality, my room and hair is a mess and this is not my usual camera: [​IMG] Close-up of fabric: [​IMG] Ensemble: [​IMG]

18. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Is that the Fisher Price magnetic writing pad hanging on the door? My kids love that thing.

edit: btw, the jacket is definitely from a suit but it looks fine with jeans for that kind of look. Don't wear it with other pants.

19. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

BTW: The pinstiped coat with jeans look is not for me. Neither is any orphaned suit coat with different dress pants for me. But I've seen a lot of younger people with that look. Perhaps it's an age thing. It seems a lot more common for people in their 20's!

I'm quoting myself! It looks good on you(if that's your type of style), but I can't imagine the look on someone in their 50's (ME!)[​IMG]

See, it's probably an age thing!

20. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Yep, that`s definately a suit jacket. It doesn`t work with jeans or odd trousers.