• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pinstripe width

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get a gray pinstripe as my next suit, and trying to figure out what width of stripe to go with. Â I was looking at the suits on polo.com and was thinking about the very narrowly spaced pinstripes on this one:
pPOLO2-1643653_alternate1_dt.jpg
I like the look of these kind of narrow chalk- and pinstripes on swatches or in pictures (especially chalkstripes on flannel like this polo). Â But something keeps me from pulling the trigger on this look when I have a suit in hand. Â Anyone have any thoughts on the narrow stripes? Thanks

bch

Reaction score
How tall are you?

I understand finer stripes emphasize height, while broader spaced stripes emphasize width.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like those thin stripes. I think it's because a lot of people here wear really bad suits with that same sort of pattern. I used to like them, but for some reason I now find them to be too "busy."

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on your build and the cut of the suit. If you're too wide, lots and lots of narrowly spaced stripes can add to the impression.

For that suit, if you're on the thin side and if that is a 2 1/2 button jacket, you could have a winner. Looks like nice fabric in any case.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'11", and wear either a 38R or 40R depending on the cut of the suit. Most of my chalk/pinstripe suits are wider set stripes and I'm looking for something to vary the lineup. If I get a suit in this cloth (or have one made) I think I'd do it in a slim cut 2 1/2 button coat, with very little shoulder padding and with side vents, with either flat front pants or single forward pleats.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retro, you are copying me.
smile.gif
I like the pinstripes on the Polo suit, and am hoping for something very similar -- both in terms of cut and fabric -- to the suit you are describing. And we probably have the same body type as well.

truthhurts

Reaction score
It's pretty, I'd wear it. Not as dandy as the photo makes it seem.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No offense to anyone's taste, but I really dislike that fabric. This is rare for me, but something about that repulses me. I don't want to elaborate, in case you really like it, but count this as a vote against.

It is mainly the look of the stripes, not the spacing, that I take issue with.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retro, you are copying me.
smile.gif
 I like the pinstripes on the Polo suit, and am hoping for something very similar -- both in terms of cut and fabric -- to the suit you are describing.  And we probably have the same body type as well.
Wow, I was even a poster in your other thread about your bespoke plans but it didn't sink in that we had more or less the same idea. What I am thinking about is having WW Chan do something very similar to that Polo suit but with double-besom flap pockets instead of flapped patch pockets, and side vents instead of center. Â Depending on Chan's cloth selections, it would probably cost me the same as getting a blue label suit at discounted retail. Â I probably would have given the polo suit a shot if not for the flapped patch pockets (well, that and the fact that polo.com didn't have 38s and 40s by the time it went on sale--$1195 is, um, too much for a half-canvas Corneliani). I think you've had Chan make you a suit with the shoulder padding dialed back a couple of notches from their "standard," haven't you? Â How has that turned out? Â I like a little bit of structure in the shoulders, but for variety's sake if nothing else I was thinking of going with less padding on future orders.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Retro,

I have a MTM suit in a bright navy blue with stripes of that spacing and I love it. We're about the same shape--5' 10 3/4" about 38R--and I think it's fine for my body-type. It does make me look a little stockier, but being thin it's okay.

The only downside is that it can be harder to match striped shirts. Admittedly a very small downside, but one nonetheless. I end up wearing plain blue or white shirts, which can get a bit boring.

Add my vote against the chalky stripes though. I don't particularly like them. I'm curious why it repulses J

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always loved chaulk stripes/pin stripes. With a great wool fabric in charcoal or navy, I think they look terrific, but I've stayed away from them because I'm 6'3" and 160 lbs. Could I get away with a subtle, wide chaulk stripe, maybe in a DB suit? (I could probably wear a DB, since I'm 40L with a 30" waist)

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would basically tell them that you want very, very, very light padding. If you can see them in person, take them a coat and let them feel exactly what you have in mind.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense to anyone's taste, but I really dislike that fabric. This is rare for me, but something about that repulses me. I don't want to elaborate, in case you really like it, but count this as a vote against.

It is mainly the look of the stripes, not the spacing, that I take issue with.
Does that mean you dislike chalkstripe in general, or just chalkstripes in that spacing?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(j @ Jan. 24 2005,22:18) No offense to anyone's taste, but I really dislike that fabric. This is rare for me, but something about that repulses me. I don't want to elaborate, in case you really like it, but count this as a vote against. It is mainly the look of the stripes, not the spacing, that I take issue with.
Does that mean you dislike chalkstripe in general, or just chalkstripes in that spacing?
Actually, it's just the way those particular stripes look. They are just really 'sketchy' looking. I like chalkstripes - my favorite suit is a chalkstripe, but they are more even-looking stripes. I also think it would help if, say, every other one were a bit darker or a different shade. Those, for some unconscious and inexplicable reason, remind me of Charlie Chaplin's suit, or some old gross suit that someone in the Depression era would still be wearing, even though he had outgrown it years ago, made of cheap wool and tattered. Sorry.
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads