• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pinstripe width

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those, for some unconscious and inexplicable reason, remind me of Charlie Chaplin's suit, or some old gross suit that someone in the Depression era would still be wearing, even though he had outgrown it years ago, made of cheap wool and tattered. Sorry. Â
eh.gif
J., that's what I find so great about that suit. It has an old "tattered" charm about it -- something that goes perfectly with patinated brogues and an overcoat. It has a "coarseness" that modern wools sorely lack (am I going American Trad here?). I have seen that suit in person, and I really love the way it feels and looks in person.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest, I have no doubt that even I would like it if I saw the suit. I rarely have anything against a fabric (as long as it is mostly natural fibers). It might just be that in that swatch, for some reason, it brings back some repressed memory of a horrible nightmare involving Buster Keaton trying to run me over with a train. Who knows.

However, I know that RL was probably going for some kind of old-and-beat-up 'pedigree' when he chose that fabric, and for that reason, the same reason I hate pre-leather-patched-elbow jackets (fake old-worldliness), I don't like it.

BTW, did I tell you all about my New Year's resolution to make up hyphenated compound-words for everything?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J., I agree that the "I tore one elbow patch off but left the other one on because I'm lazy" look is much more true Old World than the two elbow patch look is.
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ouch. I will get to the other one, in time.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with Johnny Norman on this. The broken stripes make the suit look less machine-made, more old school (but not really prep), but hardly tattered. I think these stripes are called "rope stripes" because they vary in width.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of elbow patches on sport coats. They can be useful on clothing that might actually be used for sports or for crawling in the mud, but the only person I know who has worn through the elbows of his sport coat is the security guard from my lobby, who stands with his forearms on a podium for several hours a day.

Anyone remember the Simpsons episode where Homer cuts the elbows out of his tweed jacket to use as elbow patches on his leather jacket? Marge says "you've ruined a perfectly good jacket" and Homer responds "incorrect. That's TWO perfectly good jackets."

Back to the matter at hand, I think I will indeed take a look at some narrow-spaced chalkstripes for the next suit. I do think it will provide added challenges for shirt matching. The bengal-stripe shirt in the RL photos doesn't quite do it for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads