• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pinstripe suit and dotted shirt totally crazy?

Halflight

Reaction score
Here's the deal: I'm getting married in a couple of weeks and I'm still not sure about what I'm wearing. It's a civil ceremony in front of a handful of friends down at city hall, so not a huge deal in that regard. My partner and I just decided it was a special day and wanted to look nice. Okay, so I only have one suit that's in decent shape and it's a charcoal pinstripe. I could very easily wear a light blue shirt and call it a day, but I'm never one to back down from a challenge. Would it be completely insane to pair the suit with a dotted shirt, seen here: http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...411&pid=583118 The tie would definitely be solid, probably blue (open to suggestions). I'm thinking it's either mildly interesting or catastrophic so I thought I'd put it up to the experts. I could post a picture later if that would make it easier. Thanks everyone, hl-

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like your idea. Dotted short and navy tie, go for it. Don't forget a pocket square
smile.gif

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
For some reason the picture of that shirt and the grey pinstripe suit in not sitting well with me. Would it be horrible......no, but I'm getting a 70's vibe from the shirt paired with an otherwise buisiness looking suit. I understand the desire to not go with just a plain blue, so what about a blue gingham maybe? You could still do the solid blue tie. Just a thought.

Halflight

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far. I don't really want to look "funky", but I don't want to look business-like, as you said. A gingham is not a bad option! Any more feedback is very welcome and appreciated!

hl-

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I like your idea. Dotted short and navy tie, go for it. Don't forget a pocket square
smile.gif

I think it would look good.

Halflight

Reaction score
Wgiceman, could you be a little more specific?

Thanks!
hl-

wgiceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Halflight
Wgiceman, could you be a little more specific?

Thanks!
hl-

I was not pointing to anything specifically. I just happened to open the link and scrolled through it and noticed a few combinations that seemed similar to what you were describing. I had never considered such a combination as shown, but they did not look as bad as I would think. In fact, a couple of them would represent a nice change of pace. Of course, your taste may vary.

I think your original idea would be excellent. I have done it many times and the look is great.

tlmusic

Reaction score
wgiceman,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I can picture that shirt pattern and a pinstipe suit looking pretty good.

You probably already know the traditional shirt for a wedding ceremony is white.

Did you know there are "wedding" ties? Check this out:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=62219

I am a musician, and play at about 25 wedding receptions and ceremonies every year. In my experience the white shirt and "wedding" tie is the way to go FWIW.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by STYLE_ADDICT
For some reason the picture of that shirt and the grey pinstripe suit in not sitting well with me. Would it be horrible......no, but I'm getting a 70's vibe from the shirt paired with an otherwise buisiness looking suit. I understand the desire to not go with just a plain blue, so what about a blue gingham maybe? You could still do the solid blue tie. Just a thought.

Agreed. If there will be pictures, someday someone likely will find it a strange, unappealing combination.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads