Pinstripe slacks?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by handler4me, Nov 23, 2004.

1. handler4me

handler4me Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm looking for a relatively cheap pair of pinstripe slacks that can be worn casually to school. Not the sort of kind you find with a suit, but more sturdy. Also, what would go best with pinstripe pants? I was thinking perhaps a sweater with a collar sticking out from under.

Thanks for any help.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I bought some rather nice pinstriped flannel slacks from French Connection...

3. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Anytime I see pinstripe slacks, the only thought that comes to mind is... "Where's the other half of the suit..." It might be just me, anyone else agree?

4. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

To answer the question: Try H&M

5. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

It really depends on the pants. If they are cut wide, pleated and cuffed, and generally look like they should have a jacket covering the top, then yeah. But if they are slim, flat front, relatively low-waisted and uncuffed, who's to say whether they were from a suit or not? I am wearing a pair cut just like that right now, dark gray flannel with narrow spaced variegated pinstripes from a thrift store HSM suit, and they look really good without the jacket. However, the pinstripes are not very obvious on these.

Better choices would be flannels and muted color pinstripes, or more obvious chalkstripes. Avoid navy with thin white beaded pinstripes, the typical "banker's suit" look. Although, I have a nice pair of Polo linen/cotton pants just like that, and they look fine. So, scratch that. Avoid rules instead.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I'm with you here. It just seems weird to me to have odd trousers with pinstripes on them. When I see it, I think it looks pretty good, but I also think it looks like the jacket is simply missing. I don't think that will stop me from eventually owning a pair, though. I think it's one of the only ways to dress kind of up (i.e. not jeans) without wearing a suit, or looking boring. I would probably own many pairs of flat front trousers without pinstripes before I got some with.

7. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

Just a question: would you think the same for a pinstriped jacket without the matching pants? A lot of casual sportcoats nowadays are striped, but to me they look sufficiently different from suit jackets that you don't have that problem (ie, not navy worsted with moderately spaced white pinstripes).

Still, I'm sorta ambivalent about them. Truth be told, the Paper Denim jackets are the only ones I've seen that pull off pinstripes on odd jackets, and I'm not exactly in love with them.

8. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

I see lots of women who wear pinstripe pants and I think it looks fine on them; but for guys, I agree that it looks odd.
    What's worse though is all the pinstripe "blazers" and "sport coats" on ebay that are clearly just suits missing the pants.

9. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

j,

what's the difference between pinstripes and the chalkstripes you're talking about. Are the pinstripes just thinner lines?

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Yes, pinstripes are thinner, sometimes a single yarn ("thread"). Chalkstripes look like they were drawn on with chalk, thus wider and usually fainter. Beaded stripes are basically pinstripes, or a type of pinstripes, but with gaps in them forming a "beaded" pattern.

11. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think they only look good in flannel, perhaps linen, with a fairly bold or wide stripe (chalkstripe usually.)

12. arvi

arvi Senior member

try banana republic..i saw some nice wool, flat front(worn without crease) last season..i believe they're a regular item.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

The French Connection ones are a broad chalkstripe and you can find them at Marshall's fairly often for $29.

14. Caballero

Caballero Member

I purchased a pair from JCrew in blue and grey. They work great with light cashmere sweaters for an informal day at work or when hanging out on the weekends.

15. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'm wearing a pair of pinstripe slacks right now. Dark charocal with a unique stripe pattern - very thin double-stripe in tan spaced maybe 1/10" apart, with a brown chalkstripe in between the thin stripes. And 1/2" in between stripes.

I'm wearing these with black shoes, and a black cashmere v-neck sweater. I think it looks good - not like I'm wearing suit pants at all.