Pinstripe pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smartie_addict, Oct 21, 2004.

1. smartie_addict

smartie_addict Active Member

I've seen a recent trend with pinstripe blazers with jeans. Being new here I haven't read enough to know whether or not this is the equivalent of a "striped button-down shirt and dark jeans to the club" look but nonetheless, it is prevelant. I, however own a pair of navy pinstripe pants:[​IMG] IMO they look great with a dress shirt and tie, but i want to take them up a notch and am unsure of what type sport coat to wear with them. Can a sport coat be worn with them? I was thinking a navy blazer, however, the 2 tones of navy may clash or look like you're trying too hard to match? Any suggestions?

2. regularjoe

regularjoe Senior member

Personally, I think you'd be better off with a more casual top, like a leather/suede blazer/jacket or some such.

3. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I have midnight blue pinstripe (dark brown) pants from banana republic. I wear it with mid gary houndstooth 3 button sports coat. I wear white shirts with it. Works quite well i think.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'll sometimes do a pinstripe blazer with different width pinstriped pants, it is an interesting contrast, I wouldn't do navy on navy though...

5. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

sportcoat would be fine, but no navy on navy...i'd go with camelhair or some other shade of brown.  Grays would go great too.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Ditto. Absolutely do not wear a jacket in a similar color to the pants. Gray, camel, brown, green, whatever, just not dark blue.

7. mylesmyles

mylesmyles Senior member

So would that make it ok for me to be wearing a pair of grey pinstripe pants with my navy blue Sport coat? Thanks for the help.