1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pinstripe pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by garyclark, Dec 31, 2012.

1. garyclark

garyclark Active Member

Newbie here. Just picked up a very nice pair of navy pinstripe pants. But like an idiot, I got distracted by the bargain price and never thought what I'd wear them with.

I know I'm not painting them with a navy jacket. But could they work with a medium blue windowpane jacket or a charcoal gray patternless jacket?

2. crinklecut

crinklecut Senior member

People here are gonna say that they'll look like orphaned suit pants. I mostly agree, but if you can't return them, I think they'll look okay if you wear them with lighter-coloured jackets. I like brown with navy, rust in particular. I don't really like the blue on blue look, sorry.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  3. garyclark

garyclark Active Member

4. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

It's difficult to make navy pinstripe pants not look like orphaned suit trousers. Combing them with a window pane jacket could be a clash of patterns. I have a pair of gray odd trousers with light double pinstripes that look good with a navy blazer and white shirt. Gray pinstripe trousers are more versatile than navy, and better if the stripe pattern is different than typical suits.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  5. garyclark

garyclark Active Member

Think they might just be summer pants to wear sans blazer.

6. addedfuel

addedfuel Senior member

please return them.

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

+1

8. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Keep them. You don't have to wear a blazer just because you have pinstriped pants. I have a few pin stripe pants that were not meant to be sold as part of a suit, Dries, Prada and they look great paired with a nice shirt. You need to figure out how you want to wear them and in what situations and go from there.

9. garyclark

garyclark Active Member

Yeah. I'm not returning them. Really nice fabric and I love the way they fit. Casual Fridays with a nice shirt (and maybe braces).

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Nonononono.

Braces are underwear. You shouldn't see them unless you're dancing or something and get hot and take off your jacket. Showing up to the office wearing braces over your shirt and no jacket is very poor taste.

1 person likes this.
  11. garyclark

garyclark Active Member

12. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

People who show their braces are contrived and typically have no fashion sense.

1 person likes this.
  13. garyclark

garyclark Active Member

Interesting. I'm no fashion expert. So I'm open to being schooled on this. Is there an existing thread?

14. garyclark

garyclark Active Member

Just found a few threads. Hmm ... I can see why you wouldn't wear them out of the house. That's good advice.

But I do and will show them at the office. If it's a fashion no-no, so be it. They're not an everyday item for me, and mine aren't flashy. Besides, rules evolve.