Pinstripe pants?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Marty, May 23, 2006.

1. Marty

Marty New Member

It seems like pinstripe is in lately, at least, pinstripe where there's a lot of contrast between the stripes and the pants color. So anyways, I've been looking for black pants with white pinstripes, but I can't find any, not at least, without it being part of suit. Where you guys recommend getting high-contrast pinstripe pants from? And, furthermore, what do you think about pinstripe. It seems like a lot of people are getting into it. not just with pants, but also complete suits. Looking at the news, I see a lot of it.

Thanks for your opinions,
    Marty

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Most obvious retailers , Gap, Banana Rep. However if you plan on wearing a jacket, go ahead and spring for a whole suit. Not only will your options open up, but you won't be hassled with trying to find a jacket that coordinates.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I think bold chalkstripes, wider pinstripes, and fancy stripes look great on a suit. On odd trousers, less so. I like checks instead of stripes there. But they shouldn't be hard to find. I would imagine that Kenneth Cole, Theory, A/X, etc and other brands at your local mid-high range dept store will have what you're looking for. Gucci made some in a flared cut, too.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I also prefer checks on trousers (shepard, plaids, PoW) but I think pinstripe is fine too. Me, I like a bolder chalk stripe for odd trousers rather than a fine subtle stripe. And I'm really enamored of bright teal for the stripe color. Last season saw an awesome Paul Smith brown suit with teal pinstripes that was the bees-knees....and about 10 years ago saw an Ozwald Boateng navy suit with bright teal pinstripes that still haunts me with its seriously serious awesomeness.

Banana Republic is a good place to start, they always have pinstripe suits sold as separates.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Yes I think coloured stripes would be more seriously stylish than white.

6. stach

stach Senior member

but this look seems to be going out of style.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

but this look seems to be going out of style.

but if you really have *style*, is anything ever "out of style"?

8. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

but if you really have *style*, is anything ever "out of style"?
    Yeah. The stuff you don't wear [​IMG]

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

I also prefer checks on trousers (shepard, plaids, PoW) but I think pinstripe is fine too. Me, I like a bolder chalk stripe for odd trousers rather than a fine subtle stripe. And I'm really enamored of bright teal for the stripe color. Last season saw an awesome Paul Smith brown suit with teal pinstripes that was the bees-knees....and about 10 years ago saw an Ozwald Boateng navy suit with bright teal pinstripes that still haunts me with its seriously serious awesomeness.

Banana Republic is a good place to start, they always have pinstripe suits sold as separates.

Just for fun, I tried on a Canali DB navy suit with teal pinstripes last week. I usually avoid bold stripes since I'm tall and thin, but I really liked how I looked in the suit. If I already owned suits 1-7 in a rotation, I probably would have bought it, but instead I went for the charcoal 2B, SB wardrobe staple.

I also prefer checks rather than stripes in trousers, for two reasons: (1) striped trousers look too much like part of a suit and (2) checks give me width, whereas stripes accentuate the fact that I'm tall and thin.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

touche!

11. Marty

Marty New Member

Good point. :p

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think that pinstripe probably doesn't work for some people, and I see why most would want to get the full suit, but I think as casual pants, they can work great. I'm going to try to get some pinstripe pants, and a white dress shirt, and make kind of a black & white outfit out of it. Maybe I'll post my results.

12. royal618

royal618 Senior member

Absolutely go for it.

Speaking of Oswald Boeteng, about ten years ago I saw a dark suit with lilac stripes of his that I had to have. Never got that one, but I did get a bespoke navy and lilac suit made which I wore yesterday.

Love the suit but don't get to wear it very often due to the weight of the material. Pinstripes, checks, whatever... if YOU like it, go for it.

13. dressed2kill

dressed2kill Senior member

This might be to low quality for your taste, but I've seen many seperate black pinstripe pants with a white strip in EXPRESS.

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

This might be to low quality for your taste, but I've seen many seperate black pinstripe pants with a white strip in EXPRESS.

They are crappliy constructed but perfect for clubs - I'd rather not have some drunked sow or pig spoill their coctail on nice trousers [​IMG]
    I have some crappy trousers of the sort for specifically that reason [​IMG]

15. Kid609

Kid609 Senior member

High contrast b/w pinstripes will make you look like a referee.

Navy with more subtle pinstripes are classic.