• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pinstripe/chalkstripe suits

cosmic

Reaction score
For a first striped suit in a wardrobe, what would you recommend? Navy or charcoal? Pin or chalk stripe? Any other details? Give me some ideas!

johnvw

Reaction score
A pinstripe (rather than chalkstripe) in either navy or charcoal grey should be fine for a first striped suit, but my choice would probably be navy.

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE a man in a charcoal chalk stripe suit. It's unbelievably nice looking. That's just my professional opinion though. The question would be.... Which color do you prefer more? Navy or charcoal?

bertie

Reaction score
Pinstripe is safer I think in most work environments. Chalkstripe is in another league though in terms of elegance. I have both navy and charcoal and love them equally.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy chalk stripe in flannel for the cooler months. Navy pinstripe in a worsted or twill for the warmer months. Get the gray if you are going gray.

bertie

Reaction score

Navy chalk stripe in flannel for the cooler months. Navy pinstripe in a worsted or twill for the warmer months. Get the gray if you are going gray.

Martinigirl - you best respond to this.

bertie

Reaction score

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
....depends on when/where you're going to wear it and the other details (how many breasts? What type of lapels?). Personally, I'm not a fan of chalk stripes. I think that they too often look like costume.

Last edited:

MartiniGirl

Reaction score

Not sure what I'm suppose to respond too. Everyone has their own opinions. Just bought my hubs a charcoal chalk stripe 3 piece. Neither of us are gray. Though I do have a few silver hairs coming in.... And before you say anything....

bertie

Reaction score

Not sure what I'm suppose to respond too. Everyone has their own opinions. Just bought my hubs a charcoal chalk stripe 3 piece. Neither of us are gray. Though I do have a few silver hairs coming in.... And before you say anything....
You're a good sport and I was just teasing as you expressed a preference for charcoal and it was suggested that worked best for gents with graying hair. I will leave your easy lob alone. Out of curiosity and I may have missed your introduction - you said professional opinion. Are you in the clothing trade?

bertie

Reaction score

You're a good sport and I was just teasing as you expressed a preference for charcoal and it was suggested that worked best for gents with graying hair. I will leave your easy lob alone. Out of curiosity and I may have missed your introduction - you said professional opinion. Are you in the clothing trade?

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
You're a good sport and I was just teasing as you expressed a preference for charcoal and it was suggested that worked best for gents with graying hair. I will leave your easy lob alone.

Out of curiosity and I may have missed your introduction - you said professional opinion. Are you in the clothing trade?

Ah hahaha!!! Come on, man. Knock me down a peg, I won't mind! Lol. I don't actually work in the trade but I do know about men's clothing quite well... (I've already impressed Spoo with my knowledge, FWIW) Charcoal may work better for guys with gray hair, but charcoal is still a beautiful color. You don't have to have gray hair to wear a gray suit. I know plenty of guys who wear gray.

bertie

Reaction score
Womenz are so rare we treat with a silver pedestal.

Last edited:

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
It would be rather dumb of me to get upset over what a random stranger on the computer has to tell me. Besides, I'm here to learn more than I already know. I hope everyone on here doesn't treat me any differently just cause I have a V.
laugh.gif

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think this makes three regular female posters. Lady Canucker and the woman from Vietnam...the name escapes me at the moment.

Is your husband also active on SF?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads