• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pinstripe as second suit?

shadowsnuzzy

Reaction score
The first suit I got was a made to measure solid black suit. I'm going to college now and decided to get another suit that's more appropriate for business events and job/internship interviews. The color is set on charcoal as this seems like the logical next step, however, I'm unsure if I should get light pinstripes or not.

I'm a skinny guy and am 5 feet 8 inches tall. Pinstripes are suppose to make you look taller but also skinner, I don't know if that's a problem. The cut will be slim fit. Here's a picture of the material:

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
Get a solid charcoal, or better yet, a navy suit. If you have to ask, it means you're still too self conscious about wearing one.

shadowsnuzzy

Reaction score
Not really worried about how it will look, more about the opportunity. This is probably the only new suit I'll get in 4 years and I want it to be a good choice.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that a charcoal or navy is the right choice. You will be able to wear it to weddings, job interviews, funerals, nights out to fancy restaurants, to work, etc.. Pinstripes have a business connotation, making these kinds of suits much less versatile. I would only go pinstripe when I had my basics covered and was already working at a job where I wore suits.

Balfour

Reaction score
If you want to be able to dress in a classical way, then the first choice should be a plain navy or charcoal suit. Navy is more versatile, as it works better in the evening (in my view, at least).

Black is not a classical choice. Pinstripes can be very pleasing, but are more advisable as a third or even fourth suit depending on circumstances and inclination. But definitely not first or second. Be very careful in picking pinstripes if you don't want to look like Bugsy Malone.

Alex Dumortier

Reaction score
Listen to the others posters' feedback. Solid navy or charcoal is the right choice for a second suit, all the more so since a.) your first suit is black, and b.) you will not be buying another while you're in college. Beyond the versatility aspect, which others have raised, you may also want to consider that some interviewers/ potential business contacts may find a pinstripe a little over-the-top on a 22-year old who has yet to enter the workforce.

As conradwu pointed out, you made an error in selecting black for your first suit. No big deal -- that's easily done when a young man makes his first foray into businesswear. You've shown the good sense to seek out the advice of a knowledgeable community before purchasing your second suit; don't drop the ball now by ignoring that advice.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though there is nothing wrong about wearing a pinstripe suit in a business environment, I would restrain from wearing it for a job interview. Now my guess is that as a college student you will wear a suit for
A. Giving presentations for class projects assuming that you get a degree in an area where this is done at all ... Here it does not really matter what suit you wear
B. Going out fancy ... Here the black suit will do fine
C. Attending job fairs and job interviews

Since C. Is certainly the most critical one, I would highly recommend to buy a suit, which is appropriate and that happens to be a navy or charcoal solid.

Last edited:

Coburn

Reaction score

I agree that a charcoal or navy is the right choice. You will be able to wear it to weddings, job interviews, funerals, nights out to fancy restaurants, to work, etc.. .

If you want to be able to dress in a classical way, then the first choice should be a plain navy or charcoal suit.  Navy is more versatile, as it works better in the evening (in my view, at least).  

Listen to the others posters' feedback. Solid navy or charcoal is the right choice for a second suit, all the more so since a.) your first suit is black, and b.) you will not be buying another while you're in college. Beyond the versatility aspect, which others have raised, you may also want to consider that some interviewers/ potential business contacts may find a pinstripe a little over-the-top on a 22-year old who has yet to enter the workforce.

As conradwu pointed out, you made an error in selecting black for your first suit. No big deal -- that's easily done when a young man makes his first foray into businesswear. You've shown the good sense to seek out the advice of a knowledgeable community before purchasing your second suit. Time to carry the ball into the endzone by following that advice.

Even though there is nothing wrong about wearing a pinstripe suit in a business environment, I would restrain from wearing it for a job interview.

Since C. Is certainly the most critical one, I would highly recommend to buy a suit, which is appropriate and that happens to be a navy or charcoal solid.

+1000
You need a solid charcoal or navy. A pinstripe might be you 3rd or 4th suit.

mhdena

Reaction score
The pinstripe in the 1st post are to narrow for my taste, when you do get one try for 3/4" to 1" wide pinstripes.

MaxK

Reaction score
I would say navy. Charcoal is a fine suit, but navy will serve you better. Make it as simple as possible. No details like ticket pockets, peak lapels, or odd button stitching. Go with a simple two or three button (I prefer two), the best fit you can get (don't be afraid of an alterations tailor) and the best quality cloth you can afford. Then start saving for a good pair of shoes. Since you've got a black suit, and navy can get away with black shoes go for those.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would say navy. Charcoal is a fine suit, but navy will serve you better. Make it as simple as possible. No details like ticket pockets, peak lapels, or odd button stitching. Go with a simple two or three button (I prefer two), the best fit you can get (don't be afraid of an alterations tailor) and the best quality cloth you can afford. Then start saving for a good pair of shoes. Since you've got a black suit, and navy can get away with black shoes go for those.

I agree, but really only from personal experience; I like my navy more than my charcoal. It's conservative but will be a bit more unique among a sea of greys. I would just say make sure the fabric is dark enough.

Alex Dumortier

Reaction score

Get away with? It doesn't get more classical than the pairing of black shoes with a navy suit.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would say navy. Charcoal is a fine suit, but navy will serve you better.

I think the choice charcoal vs. navy is purely a matter of personal taste. Both are equally correct and both are extremely versatile.

Make it as simple as possible. No details like ticket pockets, peak lapels, or odd button stitching. Go with a simple two or three button (I prefer two), the best fit you can get (don't be afraid of an alterations tailor) and the best quality cloth you can afford.

I agree - even though I think a ticket pocket would be fine. What I would add is to keep the suit well proportioned, i.e. no skinny lapel, jacket and trousers not excessively tight or skinny. Also combine it with a shirt, which should not be skin tight neither when you are standing nor when you are sitting.

Get away with? It doesn't get more classical than the pairing of black shoes with a navy suit.

I agree - black is the classic / conservative shoe color for both navy and charcoal suits. Most SF members (including myself) consider the combination dark brown shoes and navy suits aesthetically a bit more pleasing, but in the most conservative business situations incl. job interviews I recommend playing it safe and sticking to black oxford shoes with no or limited broguing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads