1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pinned collars

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by KD1, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

3. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Sometimes - but in other cases a lighter stay is used parallel to the downward direction of the collar point. It is a construction that needs to be experimented with on each wearer to obtain the ideal roll. Combination of spread, length, tie knot and thickness of tie.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. Phil

Phil Senior member

So I just ordered a few shirts with collars that are intended to be pinned down, from Brooks Brothers. Ive always been a spread collar fanatic, but after 10 years, im growing tired of it. I talked with the gentleman there that takes my orders, and I was asking him all sorts of questions about pinning. Take it for what its worth, but he was adamant about not using eyelets if I was planning to use the safety pin type of collar pin exclusively. I asked him about the damage it could cause the shirt, etc. He mentioned the same logic as Will - (suspenders with belt loops), and added that he thinks its tacky and contrived if you use an eyelet with a safety pin. He went on to tell me that the damage it will cause over the years is part of its charm, not a detrement. He compared it to the edges of a french cuff fraying over time, which is not as much a sign of disrepair as it is a sign of character of the shirt and the wearer. In either case, my shirts will arrive in a few weeks and I will put them to the test. On a tangent, I dont understand the fuss about getting the pin right. I bought a few pins, to practice, and it seems pretty easy. If the pin is off by a tiny amount on one side its no reason to get crazy, it cant be perfect every time.