1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pink Linen Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lydia, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Lydia

Lydia Senior member

Keep in mind that I don't live in the States with its rigid style rules, that emphasize subtlety.

It's obviously for casual wear in the summer. My girlfriend suggested it. I know women are not generally considered to be a good source for fashion advice.

I was thinking of a relatively standard design. Double vented, relatively slim fitting, etc. Any ideas for the cut? It would be the usual light pink that many dress shirts come in.

What do you think it would match in terms of shoes and shirt?

Thanks.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Isn't wearing one of these what got Jay Gatsby killed?

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

well, in the US in the southeast, they have seersucker suits that normally come in either blue or red stripes. the visual effect from across the room is a sky blue or pink.

shoes, maybe brown and white spectators, or white bucks.

shirt, probably white is easiest but you could go with red and white stripes, or if you're steppin' out you could try orange sherbet. (dangerously close to pimp territory.)

can't really advise on the cut. anything from a jazzy 1930's look to a fitted contemporary designer style, i guess.

/andrew

4. Lydia

Lydia Senior member

Oh, no. I can't remember if that's what he was wearing, but I was also considering a light - perhaps baby - blue. Which one do you think would be more attractive, if I want a colorful linen suit?

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, I would certainly not get pink. Come to think of it, I would not get baby blue either. If you want linen, why not cream or tan or "mustard" (a sort of tannish, dull yellow)?

6. faustian bargain

the answer might depend on what looks best with your skin and coloring. in this regard, generally pink is harder to pull off than blue, in my opinion. here is a funny picture. the get-up is all wrong, but the color is nice with his skin: [​IMG] by the way the suit in the picture seems to have been colorized with photoshop or something. they're selling several other colors using the exact same pose. and another picture, slightly less egregious than the first: [​IMG]

7. faustian bargain

i thought i would add a more respectable looking suit, here's one from 'oliver brown' in UK: [​IMG]

8. Lydia

Lydia Senior member

Yes, pink may be a bit too much. It's just that all of my friends have cream or tan linen suits and I'm a bit of tired of it. Clearly a more neutral color would be easier to match with my shirts (many of which are blue, striped, check, or solid or pink for that matter). I do thnk the African American models look quite good in their pink suits though. Mine would be two button. My skin is a light olive (imagine one of the more European-looking residents of...say...Beirut). What color do you gentlemen think would be best? My girlfriend is visiting in a couple of weeks and she has said on several occasions that it would be nice to see me in a linen suit, so I want to start the process of having it made up. Perhaps I should just go with cream or tan, but it is rather dirty where I live.

9. dusty

dusty Senior member

Faust - Those suits smack of Stacy Adams. Are they?

10. Charley

Charley Senior member

If it cannot be the colors of ivory, tan, or tea biscuit,
    Look carefully at the darker pink in the illustration above.

A strong, dark, hot pink or a deeper lavender would be the choices I'd make - for you.

I'd sure like to know what you find for a fabric source when you've resolved the color selection.

11. Matt

Matt Senior member

why not a lightish/mid brown? random pic found on google follows: [​IMG] not excessively common, looks good, isnt pink and therefore people wont throw up on you.

12. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

For something different -- but that will be easier to match and coordinate -- how about a medium green, such as pea green? The recommendations of mustard and brown are good, too. A medium blue might be nice. Whatever you get, have fun with it.

13. stache

stache Senior member

How about pearl grey?

14. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

They certainly are. I recognize that model from their ads. Ugh, suits with more than 3 buttons.

15. faustian bargain

(dusty @ June 18 2005,15:33) Faust - Those suits smack of Stacy Adams. Are they?
    They certainly are. I recognize that model from their ads. Ugh, suits with more than 3 buttons.
    yup.

16. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

How about blue oxford cloth? With white bucks, it would be right on the edge of the US trad culture.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Perhaps a pair of clove green trousers in linen with an off-white jacket.

18. Roy

Roy Senior member

Canali has a whole range of pink, baby blue and striped blue/white suits this summer. They look prety good. Although I wouldn't wear a pink suit myself. It's just to much pink.

19. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior member

20. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

If you go with the pink suit, I wanna see it.