• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pink colour for men

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, now the colour pink is ok for ties and shirts but why not suits for men?

Same for lavender. I find amazing fabrics to make into suits but am dissuaded by the pinkiness
i.e.
plaid1.jpg

OK now this is NOT what I would wear to a job interview at Goldman Sachs but something like this adds colour to one's wardrobe.

Why this limitation, anyone know its origins?

-

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A man can wear pink in the form of many different garments(shirts, ties, odd jackets/trousers, socks, sweaters, pocket squares, etc.....) but it does seem to stop short at the suit. And while I don't know the reason, I do concur with the prevailing convention. I've seen both Elton John and Richard Pryor in pink suits, and it didn't offend my sensibilities but then they were on stage at the time.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Red/white seersucker looks pink at a distance. I think unless you have very dark skin, pink is not a flattering color.

I like color, but think it's best against a grounding color, i.e. I'll wear the pink pants, or a pink jacket, but not both at the same time.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Red/white seersucker looks pink at a distance. I think unless you have very dark skin, pink is not a flattering color.

I like color, but think it's best against a grounding color, i.e. I'll wear the pink pants, or a pink jacket, but not both at the same time.

Well, I'd say it depends on the pink. I can't was a pastel or rose pink because my skin is too pale and it washes me out, but I can wear something stronger. The same goes for lavender.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw an elderly man in a tweed suit the other day - it was the Donegal variety, with multi-coloured flecks. In this case, about half of the flecks were pink, against a grey base colour. He looked great.

No offense, but that swatch of cloth in the first post looks like something my mother would wear.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
...about half of the flecks were pink, against a grey base colour...

Okay I've seen this before. It actually looks quite good. The pink is subdued enough where it is not overpowering.

M8

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Donegals with multi coloured kneps are among the most beautiful cloths in existence.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Such color suits only work well for people with very dark skin, which is why blacks tend to be able to wear very flamboyant clothing and not look unattractive.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing is inherently bad about pink. It looks good on many men, in fact. However, psychologically it scares some, due to associations with the feminine. (Those with the pinkest skin usually are young females.) But that might not be the primary reason for the lack of pink suits, as pink dress shirts aren't uncommon. It's probably that way back when suits were first evolving, when they were protective outdoor garments, the dyes and materials for making them pink were not available.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Such color suits only work well for people with very dark skin, which is why blacks tend to be able to wear very flamboyant clothing and not look unattractive.

Actually if you read Dress for Success by Molloy, you will find that ill-advised.

M8

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid pink without a pattern would look a bit much, especially for someone who is caucasian with a lighter skin tone.

However, I've seen some nice tweeds that have some sort of pink tone in the pattern, and it looks nice.

Also, a gray (both light and dark) suit with a pink pinstripe, or pink-hued windowpane looks great.

I did see a sharp looking suit in the window of a local men's store - it was light gray, but the fabric had a light pinkish or lavendar cast to it - very subtle, but you could tell right away that it wasn't an ordinary gray suit. I believe it was by Zegna Napoli Couture.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Actually if you read Dress for Success by Molloy, you will find that ill-advised.

M8

I've never read that text, however I wouldn't take advice from those books as scripture considering some of the hideous stuff one can find in Flusser.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've never read that text, however I wouldn't take advice from those books as scripture considering some of the hideous stuff one can find in Flusser.

It was a good read for me in the mid 80's. I was a US Army officer at the time and needed to get a handle on dress standards in the business world. One of the things that I appreciated about the book was the way it advised Blacks and Latinos on how dress can affect peceptions in the work place (I'm Latino). I would recommend the book to anyone and everyone, though it may now be outdated.

M8

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
It was a good read for me in the mid 80's. I was a US Army officer at the time and needed to get a handle on dress standards in the business world. One of the things that I appreciated about the book was the way it advised Blacks and Latinos on how dress can affect peceptions in the work place (I'm Latino). I would recommend the book to anyone and everyone, though it may now be outdated.

M8

True, I can see why how wearing a pink suit would directly affect workplace perceptions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads