1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pine Tar Soap

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by javyn, Apr 8, 2006.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

What do you think? My neighbor uses it to bathe his dog, but how do you think it would work on a human?

2. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

I have seen it (packaged and marketed for human use) in health food stores, but have never tried it. I would also like to hear about anyone's experience using it.

3. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

"Tar is an oily, very dark substance crated as a byproduct of the gases
    formed during the distillation of coal, wood, oils and other organic
    batter. Pine tar is obtained from stumps of trees as a byproduct of the
    paper industry.

Pine tar soap has been around about as long as soapmaking itself. Some
    people use the thick, sticky product to treat skin disorders such as
    aczema and psoriasis, but you should be very careful when trying this
    product as many folks are allergic. Do a little skin patch test before you
    hop in the shower and get the "whips and jingles." The oil is also very
    pungent, as sulfer is used in the extraction."

http://www.soapmeister.com/pine_tar_soap.html

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

It's supposed to be good for minor skin problems like psoriasis, but the fact that it has the word "tar" in the name is kind of a turn off.

5. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

Well, a lot of soap is made with lye, which I find much more alarming than tar.

Soap is weird.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

In my experience, most "old-timey" soaps went out of fashion for good reason.

7. Stu

Stu Senior member

I love the stuff. Have 3 bars at home. I love the way it leaves my skin.

As for old-time solutions to skin disorders, OT, I know, but I remember years ago, my grandfather had a big barrel of axle grease in his barn. Whenever he got a burn or a rash he would slather that on there. It worked great. I remember as well whenever I had a splinter, my mother would put some of that right on the finger and cover it with a bandage. By the next morning, the tail of the splinter would be sticking out of the skin and you could just slide it right out. Amazing stuff.

8. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

I still use coal tar soap occasionally. I like it's old fashioned smell and look in this world of contrived "natural " products, and frankly it reminds me of being spoiled during stays with my Grandparents as a small child.

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

Thanks for the responses, looks like it is something that you'd buy a bar of to keep around in case you have some reason to use it. Moreso than say a daily shower wash. Great advice for splinters also, Stu thanks.

10. j

j Senior member Admin

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Sometimes the old ways are superior.

12. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

Tar is also an ingredient in some dandruff shampoos. T-gel I think is one of them.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dru...ation/DR202158

so THAT's what that smell is. it reminds me of when we used to shampoo our dog when i was a kid.

13. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

Paging Mr. Creosote...

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior member

When I first read this tread I kept trying to remember this catalog my grandfather gets, finally figured it out, Vermont Country Store. It's filled with all the old timey soaps and shaving stuff http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...roductID=29966 I found this shampoo, expensive, but I wouldn't mind having a "strong, north-woods piney scent" to my hair.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

I'm sure you could just use a much cheaper bar of tar soap, Hawkeye. Google will lead you to some much better deals than that cataloge. edit: I just found this one. Not only is it called a "shampoo bar", but it has tea tree oil! I'd probably go for that if I had scalp troubles. pine tar shampoo bar btw, I know nothing about this store.

16. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Speaking of soaps, does anyone know of a type of soap with the power of an industrial cleaner; I have OCD-tendencies and don't feel that regular "Irish Spring" really does the trick. I like the smell of t-gel and how clean it makes you feel, is that what these tar soaps are? Is there something better?

17. javyn

javyn Senior member

I like Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree soap. It is really strong, nice and antiseptic smelling from the tea tree oil. If you want to feel REALLY clean after a shower, then you must try a Salux body wash cloth.

http://www.asiachi.com/saluxskincloth.html

18. javyn

javyn Senior member

I finally broke down and got a bar of Grandpa's Pine Tar soap from Whole foods. I had to cut it in half with my pocket knife to fit inside a Ziplock tupperware container, just to keep from stinking up my bathroom with this stuff. This soap smells EXACTLY like lapsang souchong tea. IE, burnt wood. Going to use it on my hands after I get home from work, to help battle the eczema. I might shower with it for giggles, but I think I'm going to be using the Dr. Bronner's Peppermint liquid these days. (For showering, that is)

19. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

[​IMG]

This is the one that my grandmother used on my sister, and me. It smelled a little bit . . . sappy, as I recall. But the lather was luscious and soothing. My favorite soap, now, is NEOLIA.