Pin-Stripes or Windowpane

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Mar 14, 2011.

1. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Gents,

I would like to get some general feedback from y'all. I am looking to purchase either an Charcoal Windowpane, Charcoal (white) Pin-stripe, Navy Windowpane or Navy (white) Pin-stripe suit.

What are the thoughts? Windowpane is a very popular style right now. I am curious if it will stay trendy. Pin-stripes can be difficult to pair with shirts and ties since you don't want to dazzle too many stripes, however it will always be in style.

Thoughts?

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Out of the two I prefer windowpane. Trendy or not I've always liked the style, and I think it's something a bit different to your average navy or charcoal pinstripe suit.

Also, as you mention, it's easier to pair with striped shirts without looking like a barcode. Large checks, for mine, compliment more intricately striped shirts nicely, as the different scale of the patterns offers a good contrast.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Gents,

I would like to get some general feedback from y'all. I am looking to purchase either an Charcoal Windowpane, Charcoal (white) Pin-stripe, Navy Windowpane or Navy (white) Pin-stripe suit.

What are the thoughts? Windowpane is a very popular style right now. I am curious if it will stay trendy. Pin-stripes can be difficult to pair with shirts and ties since you don't want to dazzle too many stripes, however it will always be in style.

Thoughts?

I don't windowpane even if thry 're popular over the pond.

I love stripes in general pinstripes or chalk ones...

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

chalkstrips [​IMG] It's pretty loud though, so be wary.

I like windowpane, seems more casual somehow.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

how about a glenplaid / POW? like a grey tone on tone glenplaid is very subtle but adds a little visual interest without being flashy (minus the blue overcheck) [​IMG]

6. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

I have both windowpane and tight pin-stripes, and like them all the same. However my feeling is that pin-stripes are a more formal type of business atttire, as in, think - board meeting - lawyer ( in court )- politician ( giving speech on new bill , speech to corporate big wigs, hitting same big wigs up for $$$$ ) . But,also I think shirt and tie choices are more w/ windowpane.

7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

I prefer any kind of check/plaid/windowpane/combination-thereof to any kind of stripes.

If it must be stripes I prefer thin, subtle, tonal stripes; loud, thick, white-on-navy stripes are grotesque-looking IMO.

8. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I love and have both!

9. dieselman89

Thin/tight pin stripes.
    how about a glenplaid / POW?

like a grey tone on tone glenplaid is very subtle but adds a little visual interest without being flashy

(minus the blue overcheck)
    [​IMG]

I have a suit just like that! Ahhh I love it

I prefer any kind of check/plaid/windowpane/combination-thereof to any kind of stripes.

If it must be stripes I prefer thin, subtle, tonal stripes; loud, thick, white-on-navy stripes are grotesque-looking IMO.

Well I guess I should say an off-white. They are very tight and very suttle stripes. The thing I keep reverting back to is the matching the shirt and tie. I feel as though its so much easier wit windowpane.

10. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

I love pinstripes (preferably on navy, but charcoal and light grey are nice too)

I don't care at all about windowpane's...might be fashionable right now, but I think it turns a suit into a full-body sports coat.

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I suggest Pin-stripes for conservative settings. Windowpane for more stylish settings. Get one of each.

12. dieselman89

I love pinstripes (preferably on navy, but charcoal and light grey are nice too)

I don't care at all about windowpane's...might be fashionable right now, but I think it turns a suit into a full-body sports coat.

I would say the pin-stripe is similar to the 4th picture down.

http://www.bestylish.org/blog/index....or-a-navy-suit

13. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Let me add my voice to the chalk stripes chorus. This is absolutely my favourite pattern for grey.

14. UrbanAesthetics

UrbanAesthetics Senior member

I think the Navy Pinstriped Suit would be the most versatile in comparison to the Windowpane pattern. Although there both classic/timeless alternatives...
    http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I suggest Pin-stripes for conservative settings. Windowpane for more stylish settings. Get one of each.
    This is the best advice.