• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pimp my Vass

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
nice of Tom to offer I bought a pair of the brogue Budapesters couple years ago that are easy to un-MC since that style by nature has a tall toe box and kinda mirrors the Doc Marten brogue look quite a bit. Brian, I like the topmost banana last laceups. When I first saw the U-last I was really into it, but in hindsight I'm glad I didnt go that route. The chunkier Vass lasts are really awesome, so much better IRL than pics and I find them to be very versatile, dressed up or down and I chose navy calf for mine, to make sure I wasnt going to be mistaken for MC
wink.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I started with his high lacing boots as an inspiration and got:

-black leather calf
-F last
-no crochets for lacing, only holes
-austerity brogues
-storm welting (black thread)
-leather soles (rubber to be added by me)

I wanted to order this pair awhile ago from AHarris but I sorta forgot about it and Tom reminded me of my idea. Sorry for the bother Andrew(?), totally slipped my mind and I went ahead with someone else when it came back.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
tho with the right u-last shoe, I can see it working seamlessly into a minimal "high concept designer" (for lack of better term) look, and can def see it working with Brian's Juun J aesthetic

so there's def no "wrong" choice for him, but yea I think most SW&D geezers would be better served with banana/Budapest last. Maybe the Peter too

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Brian SD

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. We all gotta post some SWD'd pics up when we get the chance.

I am pretty sold on the first shoes. The double sole is appealing.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Thanks for the input. We all gotta post some SWD'd pics up when we get the chance.

I am pretty sold on the first shoes. The double sole is appealing.

I'd have gotten double soles if I wasn't planning to add rubber ones, I guess they'll be my "beater" boots so I want them to be solid. I was tempted by cordovan but it just doesn't look the same and I'm usually not big on it.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'd have gotten double soles if I wasn't planning to add rubber ones, I guess they'll be my "beater" boots so I want them to be solid. I was tempted by cordovan but it just doesn't look the same and I'm usually not big on it.
So you're doing a special order then, to get all those details you want? Out of curiosity, how much do you plan to pay? I was considering buying the FW08 Jil Sander double-soled dress shoes. But cordovan Vass's seem like so much a wiser choice. I hate to use the "dress up or down" phrase, but next year I'm going to be needing a lot more "dress up or dress down"able stuff. Those banana last Cordovans will go with Raf trousers and double-layer Juun J coats as well as business suits.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
So you're doing a special order then, to get all those details you want? Out of curiosity, how much do you plan to pay?

I was considering buying the FW08 Jil Sander double-soled dress shoes. But cordovan Vass's seem like so much a wiser choice. I hate to use the "dress up or down" phrase, but next year I'm going to be needing a lot more "dress up or dress down"able stuff.

Came up to $780. I absolutely needed some details (I hate crochets) so if there is a price difference I had no problem paying it. I wanted a nice pair of combats and sold all my combat-looking boots because they didn't look exactly like I wanted them to. It was either this or a pair of the Ann D ones with the elongated flap in waxed black and I never found those in my size as I woke up too late (all my friends did, the bastards). The Anns are around $1000 so this falls within the budget I wanted to pay. I don't want more than one pair as I'm tired of collecting fashion, I don't even know what I'll buy after these, my shopping list for the 2008/2009 is fully fulfilled.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not into that range of shoe prices yet.

It's hard for me to break $200-$300

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I'm not into that range of shoe prices yet.

It's hard for me to break $200-$300

Discount or retail? You don't need to ever break it if it's discount to be honest. Most of what I wear is worth more but there are many good choices in this range if you look.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Vass is quite fairly priced and the MTO options are interesting. I'm not sure I see myself getting some shoes but the boots can be gorgeous.

davo10375

Reaction score
Fuuma do you feel they can be worn casually though? The first ones brian posted could work pretty nicely in a casual format but nearly all the vass shoes I've seen come across as "suit" shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads