1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pimento Cheese; apparently it's a Southern thing?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by crazyquik, Jan 26, 2010.

1. why

why Senior member

Processed cheese is stuff like American cheese, Cheez Whiz, Velveeta, etc.

Okay, thanks for your definition.

[​IMG]

Clearly, this is distinct from the above.

2. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

Okay, thanks for your definition.

[​IMG]

Clearly, this is distinct from the above.

Yes, and clearly that's a block of cheddar cheese.

3. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Processed cheese may be defined as a modified form of natural cheese prepared with the aid of heat, by comminuting and blending one or more lots of cheese, except certain types such as cream, cottage cheese, etc. with water, salt, colour, emulsifier into a homogeneous plastic mass, which is usually packed while hot. http://www.dairyforall.com/cheese-processed.php

While the el-cheapo pimento cheese bought in Southern supermarkets is based on processed American cheese, I've never met anyone who uses processed cheese to make their pimento cheese at home. Cheap cheese = crappy pimento cheese. Most Southern cooks now use cheddar, usually sharp/extra sharp. Processed cheeese was basically developed to be stable when it melted. It's the reason it's so hard to make a stable cheese sauce with cheddar cheese - the cheddar wants to seperate. Even when I make mac & cheese, I add a decent amount of Velvetta as an emulsifier/stabilizer.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Well, given that most Northern black people were originally from the South, and that Southern whites have adopted many "black" foods/traditions/etc., it may have originally been a black thing. However, I'm fairly sure it originated in East Texas, which would tend to disprove that.

Interesting that you would say that, because I grew up in far Northeast Texas, and we always had pimento cheese stuffed celery for one of our Thanksgiving sides. My mother's recipe was sharp cheddar (NOT processed cheese), mayonnaise, pimentos, crushed garlic, salt, pepper, and a little sugar.

5. why

why Senior member

I think you guys are missing the point that 'sharp cheddar' of the variety I posted sucks ass. And it tastes almost nothing like cheddar, which I wouldn't put in freaking mayonnaise and spread on a sponge to begin with. I'm poncy like that.

6. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I think you guys are missing the point that 'sharp cheddar' of the variety I posted sucks ass. And it tastes almost nothing like cheddar, which I wouldn't put in freaking mayonnaise and spread on a sponge to begin with. I'm poncy like that.

Why, you're just not making a good point. You're arguing just to argue and you're losing. The cheese you posted is Land O'Lakes Processed American Cheese. It's cheapo cheese with a name people recognize. The other cheese is Land O'Lakes Cheddar Cheese. While Land O'Lakes Cheddar Cheese wouldn't make it onto the cheese cart of The French Laundry, it isn't processed. It's actually made like a traditional American cheddar, but in massive amounts. I'm aware that Cheddar is English in nature, but American made cheddar has quite a following. If I were conducting a wine tasting, I might look for a farmhouse English Cheddar. If I were making pimento cheese, I would use an American cheddar and it would taste a helluva lot better than pimento cheese made with processed cheese.

We all get that Land O'Lakes Sharp Cheddar isn't the best cheddar in the world. We all also get that it's still better than processed American cheese. Maybe you're missing the point?

7. why

why Senior member

Why, you're just not making a good point. You're arguing just to argue and you're losing. The cheese you posted is Land O'Lakes Processed American Cheese. It's cheapo cheese with a name people recognize. The other cheese is Land O'Lakes Cheddar Cheese. While Land O'Lakes Cheddar Cheese wouldn't make it onto the cheese cart of The French Laundry, it isn't processed.

I realize it's not 'process' according to FDA definitions, but it's garbage made in a factory and extruded into rectangular bricks before being factory-sealed. It also tastes pretty much the same as the American deli brick, but at least is has some kind of semblance of cheese texture as weak as that is.

This isn't snobbery or pretentiousness. That cheese is about as objectively close to garbage as flavor can be.

8. StoNo

StoNo New Member

Along with sweet tea, one of the things I miss about the South. Especially melted on a burger straight off the grill.

9. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I realize it's not 'processed' according to FDA definitions, but it's garbage made in a factory and extruded into rectangular bricks before being factory-sealed. It also tastes pretty much the same as the American deli brick, but at least is has some kind of semblance of cheese texture as weak as that is.

This isn't snobbery or pretentiousness. That cheese is about as objectively close to garbage as flavor can be.

Not really a cheese I'd go out of my way to get either, but:

LAND O LAKESÂ[​IMG] Cheddar Cheese is the winner of the 2007 ChefsBestâ„¢ Award for Best Taste. The ChefsBestâ„¢ Award for Best Taste is awarded to the brand rated highest overall among leading brands. American Culinary ChefsBestâ„¢ is the independent judging organization dedicated to recognizing and honoring the best tasting product in America. All of the independent professional chef judges are certified Master Tasters.

10. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

I realize it's not 'processed' according to FDA definitions, but it's garbage made in a factory and extruded into rectangular bricks before being factory-sealed. It also tastes pretty much the same as the American deli brick, but at least is has some kind of semblance of cheese texture as weak as that is.

So you'd put $15/lb 5 year old cheddar in pimento cheese?

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Not really a cheese I'd go out of my way to get either, but:

LAND O LAKESÂ[​IMG] Cheddar Cheese is the winner of the 2007 ChefsBest™ Award for Best Taste. The ChefsBest™ Award for Best Taste is awarded to the brand rated highest overall among leading brands. American Culinary ChefsBest™ is the independent judging organization dedicated to recognizing and honoring the best tasting product in America. All of the independent professional chef judges are certified Master Tasters.

Why will argue this to the bitter end. He's the same guy that posted in the "Southern Food Appreciation" thread that all southern food sucks. His rationale is that it is usually prepared by incompetent cooks. Pointing out that italian food made by an incompetent cook sucks didn't seem to register.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...d+appreciation

He's overly argumentative and comically elitist. In fifty years he will be that bitter old codger on the porch (eating the finest English cheddar cheese of course) telling everyone else about how everything sucks.

Get him used to his future by just ignoring him. Or at least not responding, because there are some subjects that he has valuable knowledge on.

12. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

So you'd put $15/lb 5 year old cheddar in pimento cheese?

As quickly as he'd grind prime tenderloin to make meatloaf. [​IMG]

13. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Why will argue this to the bitter end. He's the same guy that posted in the "Southern Food Appreciation" thread that all southern food sucks. His rationale is that it is usually prepared by incompetent cooks. Pointing out that italian food made by an incompetent cook sucks didn't seem to register.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...d+appreciation

He's overly argumentative and comically elitist. In fifty years he will be that bitter old codger on the porch (eating the finest English cheddar cheese of course) telling everyone else about how everything sucks.

Get him used to his future by just ignoring him. Or at least not responding, because there are some subjects that he has valuable knowledge on.

I know it. Here is the Why argument:

1st - Pimento cheese is a crap product made with processed cheese, until real southerners chime in and say it isn't made with processed American cheese.
    2nd - Processed cheese and cheddar cheese are no different until he learns there is a difference
    3rd - Well, the cheese in the link is crap cheddar anyway until he sees that it actually is a decent representative of American cheddar cheese.

The next step is:
    4th - Well, I don't like pimento cheese anyway. Well then, go the f@*^ away!

14. why

why Senior member

I know it. Here is the Why argument:

1st - Pimento cheese is a crap product

That's it right there. Sorry, I should have said 'factory-mass-produced-extruded cheese' instead of 'procesed cheese'. Economy of words can bite sometimes.

FLMountainMan is still having reading comprehension problems.

15. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I grew up in the South. We mainly had pimento cheese stuffed celery, but we did eat pimento cheese sandwiches from time to time. I didn't like them as a kid, but have grown to appreciate them a bit more as an adult, more as a cultural thing than anything else. Probably haven't had one in years, though.

16. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

That's it right there. Sorry, I should have said 'factory-mass-produced-extruded cheese' instead of 'procesed cheese'. Economy of words can bite sometimes.

FLMountainMan is still having reading comprehension problems.

Cheddar cheese isn't extruded at all.

"The term "cheddaring" refers to an alternate form of pressing. The curds are allowed to coagulate into a large mass, cut into medium-sized slabs that are stacked, left to drain, then restacked and left again. When they reach the desired uniform consistency, they are milled into small pieces, placed in cloth-lined molds and pressed for at least 12 hours. After that, they are aged and eventually are sold whole (or cut into small slabs or blocks). The desired curd texture of cheddar is often compared to the striations of meat in a properly cooked chicken breast."

p. 52 - The Cheese Plate by Max MaCalman and David Gibbons

17. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Jeez, I feel like the only kid who never knew there was a Santa Claus. I've lived in TX pretty well all my life, and can't remember ever having Pimento cheese on anything. Then again this was San Antonio here.

18. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Jeez, I feel like the only kid who never knew there was a Santa Claus. I've lived in TX pretty well all my life, and can't remember ever having Pimento cheese on anything. Then again this was San Antonio here.

Let me tell you about this fairy that comes and trades kids' teeth for money. . .

19. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Let me tell you about this fairy that comes and trades kids' teeth for money. . .

[​IMG] incredibly timely, as I had tooth fairy duty just a week or so ago. More harrowing experience of my life thus far. Maybe next time I'll forgo the pink tutu.

That said, I really don't recall Pimento cheese in San Antonio, at all. None of my friends or family ever had any of it around the house, so even if I was curious...not happening. Besides...now that I think of it, my in-laws have never served it, either.

Now, eating Chicken Fried Steak with flour tortillas - only in S.A.

20. spertia

spertia Senior member

I grew up in the South (and now live there again), but I've always thought that pimento cheese was disgusting.