• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pierre Corthay and Aubercy shoe Quality?

nmoraitis

Reaction score
What is the quality on the RTW shoes for both the Corthay and Aubercy shoes? I was wondering because their finishes look similar to
Berluti's and I know Berluti creases really fast and the creases are quite large. How is their quality compared to John Lobb? Thanks for the help.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Corthay shoes are very well made, as are Aubercy. I might give the edge to Corthay in that Aubercy appears to be more delicate. Bear in mind that Berluti shoes tend towards the narrow, which means creasing will happen when wider feet are forced in -- they do not do different widths for each shoe model in RTW. Not sure how to compare them to Lobb as Corthay, in particular, is a very stylized shoe.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Thanks RJman! Yeah, I wanted to know the build quality compared to Lobb. Everyone on these boards talks highly of their build quality. When I go to Paris in September I can only buy one pair of shoes, so was wondering if they were all equal in quality. I admit, I do like the progressive styling of Corthay compared to the Lobb, but I don't want a inferior shoe (relatively speaking of course).

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps modesty has prevented RJman from giving the links to a couple of very enlightening threads posted by him and Michael Alden on the London Lounge that would bear to some extent on your trip to Paris in September--including one on Aubercy. The other, on Carmina shoes, might also be of interest to you.

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=5773

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=5775

Actually, while I'm at it, RJman, what are the price ranges for Carmina, Aubercy, and Corthay RTW shoes in Paris?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer Corthay's lasts, which are presumably displayed on their website. They are a very Gallic shoe with a very pronounced chisel toe, and flamboyant colorations.

Georges5

Reaction score
Hi,

for my point of view....I own two Aubercy and two Corthay (RTW) Aubercy is the best choice in term of quality and CHOICE....

The RTW of corthay is really well but Aubercy is better than Lobb....fabrication, leather quality and style (subjective of course!).

Don't Worry be Happy and Wear Aubercy.

Best regards.

Georges V

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bear in mind that Corthay's RTW used to be produced by a subcontractor and for the last year has been produced to very high standards in his own factory in France.

Corthay's RTW line is not particularly broad. I don't know about whether choices of width, etc are possible. Aubercy's is broader, and they have an excellent special order program, although it's more expensive and takes a while, which allows broad choice. Both houses are similar in price -- 700 or 800 euros up to 1100-1200 euros for a signature model.

Carmina (Albaladejo) is superlative quality and a very reasonable price -- around 300-400 euros for a shoe that is at least as good as C&J Handgrade in wonderful, wonderful leathers and extremely elegant last shapes. By far the best shoe value in Paris.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

Carmina (Albaladejo) is superlative quality and a very reasonable price -- around 300-400 euros for a shoe that is at least as good as C&J Handgrade in wonderful, wonderful leathers and extremely elegant last shapes. By far the best shoe value in Paris.

To add to RJ's outstanding oberservations, Carmina also produces some of the nicest shell cordovan shoes, also at comparitively reasonable prices.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
To add to RJ's outstanding oberservations, Carmina also produces some of the nicest shell cordovan shoes, also at comparitively reasonable prices.
Aportnoy, do you know whether Sky Valet still stocks them? The Carmina name seems to have disappeared from their home page.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Aportnoy, do you know whether Sky Valet still stocks them? The Carmina name seems to have disappeared from their home page.

I think that they are phasing them out but perhaps one of our DC based Forumites could answer that conclusively. I know Peter Elliot in NYC still has a few in stock, though.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BG currently carries 7 models of Carmina, all cordovan & $695. At least one of them is on sale. I really like some of their lasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads