1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pierpont Leather - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PierpontLeather, May 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PierpontLeather

PierpontLeather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A few detail, and a few making-of pictures of the briefcase:

Handle going in: This handle is shaped and cut by hand from 7 pieces of leather.
    [​IMG]

The handle keepers installed:

[​IMG]

Front flap edge is the first one that gets polished, as there's hardware that has to go over it:

[​IMG]

Final Result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Bag looks great! Was the decision to use a tumbled leather based on a desire to resist scratches and durability? Most tumbled leathers I have seen tend to be slightly more so.

1 person likes this.
  3. PierpontLeather

Good question!

This leather will definitely help hide scratches. Though, I'd say that the best leather for hiding scratches on a bag is the bull calf. The finish on that leather is amazing.

This leather is a 100% vegetable tanned leather, and will definitely show a bit of character as it ages. It's very tough and thick - great stuff. The tannery that makes this leather specializes in Vacchetta leather and does a really good job with it.

I have a soft spot for these really 'hefty' types of tumbled leathers. They're some of the most beautiful, perfect, refined leathers around - but at the same time, they have a masculine look.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  4. PierpontLeather

Alligator Bifold

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

any examples of belt straps you've done Parker?

1 person likes this.
  6. PierpontLeather

Sure thing. It seems that quite a few of you are interested in belts, by the number of PM's I get.

If you're interested in a belt, the first question I'll ask you is: "Do you want a fully lined and stitched belt or a single-piece Bridle belt." I find that the lined and fully-stitched belts have the potential to look more formal. The bridle belts are great casual options. I charge quite a bit more for the fully lined and stitched versions of the belts because of the amount of work that they take. I finish the edges with dye and a hot wax treatment that can be easily buffed back to a nice finish with a cloth. It tends to wear a bit better because of the abuse they take, and the because of how thick the edges can be.

Fully lined
    With nickel plated, solid-brass hardware.
    [​IMG]

Unlined
    With nickel plated, solid-brass hardware.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

great work! what are your pricepoints for your belts?

8. PierpontLeather

Thank you!

It depends on the leather choice. The simple bridle belts are $100. The fully stitched and lined belts start at $400 in some calfskin options, and very in price quite a bit depending on the specific requirements of the client! I don't make a ton of belts, and as such, the hardware is chosen on a case by case basis, currently.

Also, I've had a few people ask for goatskin belts, and I don't typically recommend it. It can be done for aesthetic reasons, but at belting thickness, calfskin and bridle will be more stable.

A few of the current options:

Box Calf: sourced from a small tannery in France, known for it's beautifully smooth finish. Firm, hard-wearing, usually formal.

Rusticalf: sourced from the same french tannery as the box calf. Pristine hides with a flawless, tumbled finish. Not of the embossed variety.

Buttero: Firm italian vegetable tanned leather from a very small tannery. Beautiful colors and a slightly waxy finish. Firm, smooth grain. Will patina well.

Shrunken Calf: Heavily grained, very durable. Natural pebble finish that hides scratches quite well.

Sedgwick Bridle: The only option for non lined belts. Some of the best bridle leather in the world. Excellent strength, firm. Smooth waxy finish.

Pebbled Italian Vacchetta: Heavily pebbled veg tan with an option of many colors. Will patina quickly, about as quickly as the handles on louis vuitton luggage. Thick, lightly pigmented, finished naturally. Fantastic casual option.

9. PierpontLeather

Here's a few more pictures of the briefcase from earlier, just to show a bit more detail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

So no chevre mysore for belts? :)

Photos of the belting leather options when you have time?

1 person likes this.
  11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Interested also to see before and afters of the pebbled italian vacchetta!

12. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

hi,Parker

some SFer said before that "the best alligator belts will have no stitching‘ and "stiched belts look crappy".

i don't think they are ignorant.

so i always feel puzzled how can they stay strong after some year wearing if they are not be stitched? or the stitch can be hidden like shoe welt?

could you pls share your thoughts?

many thanks!

1 person likes this.
  13. PierpontLeather

Hey there!

I would highly advise belts to be fully stitched if they are lined. Glue will come loose eventually.

Additionally, I think you'll find that the most beautiful, and longest lasting belts will usually be fully hand stitched. Doing the proper edging, stitching, and creasing is something that is a hallmark of quality. It's unchanging. It's been that way for hundreds of years, and the most elite belt makers today still fully hand stitch their belts, and have nice clean edges.

It's not really something that's as hotly contested as that thread would have you believe. However, there's always room for aesthetics, minimalism, and change. The right belt for anyone is always going to be the one that they prefer most.

Glued belts are to IKEA with screw fasteners as hand-stitched belts are to heavy chests with hand-cut dovetails.

The latter is not for everyone, but it's often considered by many to be 'better.' Especially to those whom price goods at antique shows.

1 person likes this.
  14. PierpontLeather

Ask and you shall recieve!

Photos are of a well-used wallet on top of brand new italian veg tan of the same color (Caramel).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Very cool wear. How long until that patina occurred? Need some belting leather swatches...

1 person likes this.
  16. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

17. PierpontLeather

Sure thing, no problem!
    I thought so too - this was the first thing ever made with that leather. It only took a few months to get to that point (daily, hard use.)

By contrast, mysore ends up looking nearly the exact same as it did brand new if it had the same amount of use.

Caramel is nearly stocked out, as of today!

I'll put a few belting swatches in your current order [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  18. PierpontLeather

Speaking of which, is being finished up today - here is @ThinkDerm 's new travel valet - one of the most complicated and challenging projects I've ever worked on. Made in Barenia Calf with a zipper pull accented in Pebbled Vachetta leather. A fun one to work on!

It'll be headed your way tomorrow, ThinkDerm!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

is this the same belt in your profile with the contrasting thread? what color is the contrasting thread there in your profile - lavender? This belt has a rose pink-contrasting thread? can you show more of the lavender threaded belt here? The lavender belt also seems to use a thicker thread than the rose pink contrasting thread? Do you have the ability to use a salmon orange / orange sherbert contrasting thread?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  20. PierpontLeather

Different Belt! The stitching in this example is a different color than in the picture I posted earlier (which does use pink stitching.) I can stitch in almost every color that you'd want. Let me see if I can find a color of thread that's similar to what you're describing.